Simon Shapes

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Was gonna wait until I got the finished boards in my hands before starting this thread, but it's been such a great experience dealing with John that I feel I have to share. Noticed him somehow on my Instagram about a year ago, but never went through with an order. When he popped up on EAST shaping with Ryan Burch, I saw it as a sign and sent him an email. From the start, John's been so open, friendly and responsive to any question I had. We had a few emails back and forth, then when I had decided on the two shapes I wanted, we had a WhatsApp chat to dial in the dims. Never had that experience from any other international shaper! He was super humble and cool to talk with - no arrogance or attitude. This was back in September, and since then he's been more active than me in sending me his thoughts and pics about the boards - wanted to know if I wanted channels, ideas about the glassing, nose scoops that were inspired by his partnership with Burch, resin art, pics of the boards in the process of being shaped. Gotta love that! Anyway, I haven't even touched the boards, but it's been a joy of an experience so far. Here are some pics:

This one is a 5'10 asym swallow tail made in Varial:

a2e9f3aa-2532-444a-b1af-11432198d172.JPG

This one is a 6'6 Double Bump with a diamond nose and tail:

0a88bf35-af4f-4c3e-99b8-4416d40e21ec.JPG

The 6'6 reminds of a stretched-out Vader which could be dreamy. I'll put up more pics when they get here towards the end of December. Yew!

Check out more of his stuff here:

Simon Shapes

Anyone ridden any of his boards?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Was gonna wait until I got the finished boards in my hands before starting this thread, but it's been such a great experience dealing with John that I feel I have to share. Noticed him somehow on my Instagram about a year ago, but never went through with an order. When he popped up on EAST shaping with Ryan Burch, I saw it as a sign and sent him an email. From the start, John's been so open, friendly and responsive to any question I had. We had a few emails back and forth, then when I had decided on the two shapes I wanted, we had a WhatsApp chat to dial in the dims. Never had that experience from any other international shaper! He was super humble and cool to talk with - no arrogance or attitude. This was back in September, and since then he's been more active than me in sending me his thoughts and pics about the boards - wanted to know if I wanted channels, ideas about the glassing, nose scoops that were inspired by his partnership with Burch, resin art, pics of the boards in the process of being shaped. Gotta love that! Anyway, I haven't even touched the boards, but it's been a joy of an experience so far. Here are some pics:

This one is a 5'10 asym swallow tail made in Varial:

View attachment 142648

This one is a 6'6 Double Bump with a diamond nose and tail:

View attachment 142649

The 6'6 reminds of a stretched-out Vader which could be dreamy. I'll put up more pics when they get here towards the end of December. Yew!

Check out more of his stuff here:

Simon Shapes

Anyone ridden any of his boards?
The 6’6 is going to be a twin? Hope you do a ride report. I’ve felt up a similar design of his in a shop, which I really like, but it’s hard to imagine how it would ride.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Would love to feel one up in person. His stuff looks right in my wheelhouse. But will he do my favorite flat deck, slot channel asym? LOL.
Look forward to your ride reports and anyone else’s.

Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
The 6’6 is going to be a twin? Hope you do a ride report. I’ve felt up a similar design of his in a shop, which I really like, but it’s hard to imagine how it would ride.
I asked for it as a twinzer. He usually does them as quads.

Reactions: YakAk

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Here you go, you dogs!

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3947.JPG

L: Asym swallow tail in Varial foam (epoxy infused glassing) - 5'10 x 19 3/4 x 2 5/8
R: Diamond tail, diamond nose - 6'6 x 20 3/8 x 2 5/8

L: My first boar in Varial. Feels mental, almost weightless. Scared to see if it will even float me. Really funky asym outline on each side: longer and straighter on the toes, rounder and shorter on the heel side. Came with a set of Album asym fins by True Ames.

R: Feels like a dream machine. Solid glassing, nice weight. Feels shorter than 6'6 under arm. Will be perfect for the winter reef I had it made for. Came with a set of Timmy Patterson quads.

Super stocked on the boards. John's a legend. Was so easy-going and kept me in the loop during the whole process. Look forward to getting them in the water in about a week after a drop-in left me with 3 stitches on my finger...

Question: Can I tail pad the swallow tail?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Here you go, you dogs!

View attachment 150729

View attachment 150730

View attachment 150733

View attachment 150734

View attachment 150731

View attachment 150732

View attachment 150735

View attachment 150736

L: Asym swallow tail in Varial foam (epoxy infused glassing) - 5'10 x 19 3/4 x 2 5/8
R: Diamond tail, diamond nose - 6'6 x 20 3/8 x 2 5/8

L: My first boar in Varial. Feels mental, almost weightless. Scared to see if it will even float me. Really funky asym outline on each side: longer and straighter on the toes, rounder and shorter on the heel side. Came with a set of Album asym fins by True Ames.

R: Feels like a dream machine. Solid glassing, nice weight. Feels shorter than 6'6 under arm. Will be perfect for the winter reef I had it made for. Came with a set of Timmy Patterson quads.

Super stocked on the boards. John's a legend. Was so easy-going and kept me in the loop during the whole process. Look forward to getting them in the water in about a week after a drop-in left me with 3 stitches on my finger...

Question: Can I tail pad the swallow tail?
Did I read that right, three stitches? Go out and get us a ride report ya pussy. :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Goodfish

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Easy call…pad the swallow tail. With that outline & size, it’s capable of some solid HP shreds. Then you add Varial’s propensity for denting(just cosmetic), it’s a no-brainer

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Thank you, voices of the errb. I had already ordered a pad for the swallow tail, so I am pleased my thought process has been validated. Ride reports when I'm shreddy...

EDIT: Ordered this one:
Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 05.48.48.png

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Sending out an erbb SOS: One of the fin boxes has an issue with the grub screw hole. Screwing it n is real tight on entry, then goes loose and won't tighten. Leaves the fin with a lot of wiggle and wobble and the front of the fin doesn't go flush to the board. What can I do here?
IMG_3983.JPG