Signed up for Judo. Anyone else on here?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Got a better idea for practical self defense for females? One that doesn't involve going toe to toe with someone six inches taller and sixty pounds heavier? Or finding the one judo school in a 100 mile radius?

:foreheadslap:
Firearms.

Women who train Jiu jitsu against men eventually realize just how physically inferior they are and, other than some outlier elite level fighters, BJJ trained women are no match against an untrained but strong man.

Realizing this is actually pretty valuable for women.

One thing BJJ can help with is keeping them from panicking while they grab for their gun.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Anyone with knowledge of both would never say BJJ is better.

Btw, judo is really rough on the body. How old are you?
that was partly in jest, as I know it is almost impossible to discuss one without the other….

I am a little concerned about the potential for injury in judo. I’m 50, but I’m pretty active and have years of other training.

i figured if i can handle crashing on my mountain bike and bmx, i might be ok with judo.

besides, i have taken plenty of falls in Akido :poke:

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
that was partly in jest, as I know it is almost impossible to discuss one without the other….

I am a little concerned about the potential for injury in judo. I’m 50, but I’m pretty active and have years of other training.

i figured if i can hand crashing on my mountain bike and bmx, i might be ok with judo.

besides, i have taken plenty of falls in Akido :poke:
I tip my hat to you for giving it a go.

Pick your battles. Let us know how it goes.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Firearms.

Women who train Jiu jitsu against men eventually realize just how physically inferior they are and, other than some outlier elite level fighters, BJJ trained women are no match against an untrained but strong man.

Realizing this is actually pretty valuable for women.

One thing BJJ can help with is keeping them from panicking while they grab for their gun.
Your self-protection concepts are infuriating and delusional. Criminals are like predators in the wild - they get the drop on you. They ambush you. At that point, you have to create space to even access your firearm which is entirely dependent on empty-hand skills. Watch some cop videos where the criminal gets too close and see how they're trying to grapple with a firearm.

Moreover, most firearm training for the general population is similarly delusional. Guys like Jocko Wilink are commandos - they're the ones DOING the ambushing.

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
Im soon to be master 5 (age bracket) .. and contemplating putting white belt on for a few judo classes a week. Our academy does more stand up than most.. but I'm not sure I can handle all night throws and the mental aspect of all the repetitive entries and motions required (or at least I think...) is straight judo.. If you start from scratch at 50, let me know how you like it (not being duchey - real question as it may motivate me to be less of a shameless guard puller). Good luck and have fun

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Your self-protection concepts are infuriating and delusional. Criminals are like predators in the wild - they get the drop on you. They ambush you. At that point, you have to create space to even access your firearm which is entirely dependent on empty-hand skills. Watch some cop videos where the criminal gets too close and see how they're trying to grapple with a firearm.

Moreover, most firearm training for the general population is similarly delusional. Guys like Jocko Wilink are commandos - they're the ones DOING the ambushing.
Doesn’t change the fact that almost all female martial artists are still virtually helpless again strong man.

Reactions: Havoc

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That picture was from Jack Dempsey's book on punching called, "Championship Fighting." Tyson was a big fan of Dempsey.
Yes indeed but remember duffy can beat tyson so unlikely baby KO dropped from the 4th floor:computer:

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
contemplating putting white belt on for a few judo classes a week. Good luck and have fun
yeah, definitely a little concerned.

I did a bit of “judo” during my years in Krav. And we do some nasty takedowns in FMA.

But, I know that doesn’t compare and being repeatedly slammed on the ground admittedly isn’t that appealing.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
yeah, definitely a little concerned.

I did a bit of “judo” during my years in Krav. And we do some nasty takedowns in FMA.

But, I know that doesn’t compare and being repeatedly slammed on the ground admittedly isn’t that appealing.
We have a crash pad we use for repeated throws. When we go live rounds starting on the feet it’s just regular mats. Due to the variability of take downs, throws and guard pulls we aren’t getting repeated slammed like you will in a judo class.

Make sure your judo coach is accommodating to your age.

I make it a mission to teach the new old guys at my gym how to minimize injury. If you can find an older experienced guy at your judo gym that take you under his wing that could be valuable.