Sidewalk repair questions

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So I emailed the SF street and sidewalk department about buckling sidewalk and possible void under said sidewalk in front of my house.

They came, checked, emailed me back and said, "The repair is on the home-owner, not the City."

Sigh....well, what do I expect, a 100 yr old sidewalk needs some repair/maintenance.

We are talking 15 feet by 3 ft, with possible void under a 3x3 ft section.

After the reaming I took with the last home improvement/maintenance project, how doable is it for the average Joe to:

1 Pull permits
2 Break up/remove old concrete
2 Prep and fill any void (and pray the goddess of sweet infinity that there isn't a broken water/sewer line under there)
3 Build forms
4 First inspection
5 Pour
6 Final inspection

Hmm, now that I wrote it out, maybe I'll just pull the permit myself and hire out the rest of it.

But, I am curious what the hive mind has to say because, well, because sometimes there can be some pearls of wisdom.

For your troubles, thanks in advance with some sexy concrete:
1587495893996.png

1587495959475.png
1587496021989.png

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Yeah, I had that exact same issue here in San Diego. I used the city's "Get It Done" website/app to report it(included pictures), and the city repaired the entire section within 7 days. I was shocked. I thought they were for sure going to say it was on us to repair. Good luck.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah, I had that exact same issue here in San Diego. I used the city's "Get It Done" website/app to report it(included pictures), and the city repaired the entire section within 7 days. I was shocked. I thought they were for sure going to say it was on us to repair. Good luck.
SD just flexed to assert dominance over SF.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Oh the joys of working with Public Works.

If they make you pull an encroachment permit (which would be weird if they are considering it your property), they'll happily take your bond but will laaaaaaag on reimbursing you. Although I can't imagine any city being worse than Costa Mesa in that department, which is pretty much like jumping through this hoop:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
When I bought my house, the trees in the parking planter were out of control and the sidewalk was lifted about 8-12"
I called the city in the first month and said "when one of my kids trips and falls on this I'm going to come after you"
They were here within the week and within the month had a new sidewalk, and new tree planted.

If you do it yourself, its not too hard of a job. google, you tube, and everysurfer are your friends!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I still can't get over the fact the city wants you to repair a public walkway.

That's fucking bullshit.
I would say that constitutes ownership and Doof has the right to detain anyone he doesn't like using that sidewalk for trespassing. Given enough creativity, I'd say he could also come up with legal justification to require a toll to seize any beer, wine, liquor, weed, etc. that they might be transporting across that stretch of sidewalk.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Their response was probably from someone not in position to make that call. I would elevate it. Document the hell out of it with photos and send back to the city. City attorneys office might be a good start.

Aug 31, 2019
I believe that under the Calif State and Highway law even public sidewalks are always the responsibility of the adjoining property owner, unless the city creates its own code to take full or partial responsibility. Some cities will waive the permit fee since it is a trip hazard and some even pay for half the cost. Ask for that but if you pull a permit they should be asking for the contractor's licence and type. Should be either a class A engineering contractor or a C-8 Concrete contractor. You should not be able to pull a permit as owner builder without at least stating the contractor who'll do the work. If your city doesn't waive fee or help on cost then many people tend to consider not pulling the permit, but that technically is illegal in the public right of way.

Reactions: Mr Doof and afoaf

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I still can't get over the fact the city wants you to repair a public walkway.

That's fucking bullshit.
yes but its also an easement - prob 8ft - for which ur taxed but have no control.
and anybody can park their lameass there for whatever reason and law enforcement
is your only recourse.

love Clint but GOMlawn is hollywood.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Is it the public sidewalk? What is the reasoning it’s on you?

1. It is a sidewalk between the street in front of my home and the plants in my front yard. I have to cross it to get to my driveway and into the garage.

2. Emailed 311sfgov.org and asked about subsidence and lifting and got this reply:
1587575753062.png

3. I think he didn't check for the possible void I mentioned under one of the sections of side-walk.

One of the neighbors up the street, their son works for a construction outfit and their outfit just repaired a 3x20 foot section of their sidewalk. Maybe I'll get a quote from them.

4. Looking at YouTube and reading some stuff on-line gives me the idea that I could do it. However, I wonder if my ego is ignoring the wear and tear that my body would face. And besides, I have the feeling that much like my last homemade surfboard was much better than my first, I really don't want to learn as I go...."Oh look, Sweetie-pier, the last 3x3 section looks great! Just ignore the other sections."

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Not a sidewalk problem but when we bought out house 10 years ago there was a big tree on the parkway right in front that was leaning precariously over the street.
We contacted city works via email to have a look and maybe take it down (it was ugly as $hit)
A year went by and no response.
Contacted once again and told them it looks like it's going to fall any time and it's a liability to the city if someone is hurt or if it rips my sewage and water lines up.
They showed up a couple of days later and removed it.
Play the liability hand, surely, you aren't responsible if someone trips and jacks their self up.