Shutting down Twitter.....

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Approval down to 42 percent according Republican friendly Rasmussen poll.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
fook it - shut down all social media in general (not for the reasons POTUS wants to but...). we'd all be better off as a society

Giving the people a voice is having profound effects on our society by empowering them.
theres alot of truth to this. not everyone should have the megaphone though and while i enjoy looking at cool stuff on insta eventually I will give it up all together like I did with FB and Titter.

Do you guys consider places like the erbb social media? I do not because the message board has been around since the beginning of the internet but I guess it could fall into that category.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
IMO, people already make a distinction between trash content vs serious content, and have been for a long time. The supermarket tabloids and personality magazines are trash, and few of those readers take that content seriously. They just read it for the entertainment factor. Those tabloids are no threat to human civilization.

Trash Radio/podcasts are a thing - not a threat to the Republic
Trash TV is definitely a thing, starting with every program E entertainment airs - still not a threat.

So why should we interpret it any differently for content on Twitter or Facebook or in any other outlet? The "Authoritative Voices' don't attain that status by proclamation or decree or by self-declaration - they EARN the trust of their readers with their content and that trust is highly dependent on them following through every time. If one or more of these outlets get caught lying either by commission or omission that's their own fault, not the fault of the readers who decide the outlet's credibility is questionable.

There is no legitimate reason for any of Jim Acosta's viewers to be aware of his politics. (just one example) If he is being ilked that way it's entirely his own fault. The same with probably 80% or more of all the others whether they lean left or right.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
theres alot of truth to this. not everyone should have the megaphone though and while i enjoy looking at cool stuff on insta eventually I will give it up all together like I did with FB and Titter.

Do you guys consider places like the erbb social media? I do not because the message board has been around since the beginning of the internet but I guess it could fall into that category.
Yes, it’s social media
More social than media, but definitely social media

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Shutting down twatter would free up eight hours of your day to do something productive. Win/win.

Reactions: CutnSnip

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my cellular phone company flags robocalls as "Likely Scam" on the caller ID

is that editorializing?

is it a violation of their position as a communications platform?

I don't think so

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009

1. Twitter's method of escaping liability over claims made against Twitter is to claim that Twitter does not regulate content .....that Twitter is merely a platform for the views of anyone who signs up. In "fact-checking" (opposing) the views expressed by the President of the United States Twitter has removed itself from the status of "platform", and placed itself in a position of participant. Not only does Twitter become liable for this opinion, but it removes Twitter's liability protection for everything ever posted on Twitter.

2. There are Federal Election Commission (FEC) laws governing how much money can be contributed "in kind" to a candidate, and requiring full disclosure of the contribution. When Twitter "fact-checked" Trump Twitter referred readers to NBC and CNN two of the biggest ASSHOLE networks when it comes to reporting facts. Both of them were fully reporting the Russia collusion hoax as fact. So this is clearly Twitter's contribution to Joe Biden's campaign.

We'll see how that gets reported to the FEC. If Twitter and Biden report it to the FEC will Twitter formally remove their position of impartial "platform"?

......Remind you of any other forums?

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
twitter is a private company that provides a communication platform

they are not compelled to allow content through the platform; based on
their existing terms of service, Trump should have been banned

instead they flagged the post. flagging an obviously false statement is
not "opposing" or "editorializing"

does reddit editorialize when it blurs NSFW images in the post list?

does T-Mobile editorialize when it flags a robocaller in the caller ID?

no, it's simply a feature of a product....and this moron is going to go and
shoot himself in the dick throwing a giant man-baby tantrum. it's fkn
embarrassing.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
twitter is a private company that provides a communication platform

they are not compelled to allow content through the platform; based on
their existing terms of service, Trump should have been banned

instead they flagged the post. flagging an obviously false statement is
not "opposing" or "editorializing"

does reddit editorialize when it blurs NSFW images in the post list?

does T-Mobile editorialize when it flags a robocaller in the caller ID?

no, it's simply a feature of a product....and this moron is going to go and
shoot himself in the dick throwing a giant man-baby tantrum. it's fkn
embarrassing.

Bullshit. Twitter did not merely "flag" Trump's post. Twitter made an argument opposing Trump's viewpoint. That totally removes Twitter's status as a platform, and places them under FEC regulatory laws.

Is it okay to oppose Trump's viewpoint? Sure, but Twitter can't lie to its participants by claiming to simply be moderating.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
1. Twitter's method of escaping liability over claims made against Twitter is to claim that Twitter does not regulate content .....that Twitter is merely a platform for the views of anyone who signs up. In "fact-checking" (opposing) the views expressed by the President of the United States Twitter has removed itself from the status of "platform", and placed itself in a position of participant. Not only does Twitter become liable for this opinion, but it removes Twitter's liability protection for everything ever posted on Twitter.

2. There are Federal Election Commission (FEC) laws governing how much money can be contributed "in kind" to a candidate, and requiring full disclosure of the contribution. When Twitter "fact-checked" Trump Twitter referred readers to NBC and CNN two of the biggest ASSHOLE networks when it comes to reporting facts. Both of them were fully reporting the Russia collusion hoax as fact. So this is clearly Twitter's contribution to Joe Biden's campaign.

We'll see how that gets reported to the FEC. If Twitter and Biden report it to the FEC will Twitter formally remove their position of impartial "platform"?

......Remind you of any other forums?
If trump told you that you were a flaming homosexual would you believe him?

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF