Show us your SAILBOATS

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

She won some major races in her day and is still slipped in Newport Harbor. One of the most iconic racing sailboats (blow boats) of all time. She is still my favriot.
I remember the Passage mostly for the story of how that Goliath got taken down by this plywood David-

1647447690386.jpeg

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

She won some major races in her day and is still slipped in Newport Harbor. One of the most iconic racing sailboats (blow boats) of all time. She is still my favriot.
I watched from the road that wraps around Diamond Head when Windward Passage crossed the finish line at the red Diamond Head buoy for the Win in the TransPac race from the West Coast to Hawaii ~ It was considered the fastest boat in the world at one time.
edit:
At one time, The Trans-Pac race was a very big deal on Oahu especially when the big Maxi-class boats (72 foot Ticonderoga, etc) were battling it back and forth and the only "news" was over the radio. It made it quite exciting and at the time, if one was coming in during the evening or late night, there were search light placed on the Diamond Head Road near the lighthouse to provide a wonderous, beautiful view of boats racing towards the red buoy with full sails and maybe a "chute" full of the local tradewinds with folks clapping and cheering each boat as they passed the finish line.

Last edited: