Shoulders

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Probably better in surf doc but more people who surf post here haha.

Can we start a thread for shoulder mobility and strength? My shoulders are fried after surfing for I don’t even know how many sessions.
‘What are you guys doing to keep surfing?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I've had chronic shoulder issues from a car accident and a bad wipeout a couple years ago on a good sized day. I've tried physical therapy, chiropractors, etc. which typically offered temporary relief - but the issues would return after surfing multiple sessions/days in a row. I would have to shorten my sessions and take mandatory rest days in order for the pain to subside. I believe it was a couple months ago - i came across a thread here that discussed paddling technique - and mentioned a coach who offered paddling technique lessons. I checked it out - a little too expensive but was able to glean some tips from the thread and the website itself and tried to apply what i picked up in the water. I was a little skeptical at first but after the first session - there was a noticeable improvement in my paddling - wave catching and minimal strain on the shoulders. I've continued to make an effort to pay attention to my paddling technique in the water and have not had any shoulder issues since.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Probably better in surf doc but more people who surf post here haha.

Can we start a thread for shoulder mobility and strength? My shoulders are fried after surfing for I don’t even know how many sessions.
‘What are you guys doing to keep surfing?

100 pushups a day, boom! you're good.
Gives you more confidence on days like yesterday.
Work up to 4 sets of 25.
Easy peasy, and it doesn't take up much time.

Reactions: santacruzin

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I honestly have to say the windmill does really help keep the shoulders loose and fast. I'll do about 100 a day to keep them flexible.

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
100 pushups a day, boom! you're good.
Gives you more confidence on days like yesterday.
Work up to 4 sets of 25.
Easy peasy, and it doesn't take up much time.
don't do this without doing Rows and or Pull Ups...
My duck dives were amazing but my range of motion was limited on paddling a bit.
Did this for 2019 and 2020 I was off and on with rotator cuff issues and babying shoulders

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
don't do this without doing Rows and or Pull Ups...
My duck dives were amazing but my range of motion was limited on paddling a bit.
Did this for 2019 and 2020 I was off and on with rotator cuff issues and babying shoulders
Hey, i've been wrong before, and i'll be wrong again but this totally works for me.
Also been using these supplements with excellent results keeping my joints smooth and hiccup free:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Will 100% try, I did 100 pushups give or take for a year straight then encountered issues, the improved slightly with the addition of pull ups

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I have torn shoulder labrums and have found exercises that take just a few minutes to both strengthen and increase mobility. I chose to not have surgery on them and for years after injury every winter the cold aggravated some sort of injury keeping me dry for months sometimes. When diligent about exercises 2-3 times a week and I havent had many problems. If this is your problem pushups are out. I am pretty sure this winter in Norcal is colder than normal and that will aggravate all sorts of stuff especially when your older and less pliable.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I’m 49, life long surfer, two replaced cervical discs, stenosis n atrophy in shoulder muscles. A huge help was paying attention to paddling form, specifically- making sure my arms are brushing up against/kissing the board as I’m paddling; as opposed to having arms out wide.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
How old are you? Makes a difference in the RX. When you're my age there is no RX.

Watch this to understand how that works.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
there's all kinds of good technique stuff but i dunno who to believe.

my main thing is I don't think you want to have your arm strait through the mid stroke. that puts all the stress on your shoulder. your back should be engaged. your forearm should feel like it's getting some work. spread the load.

i don't do tons of pushups anymore cuz i was getting elbow pain.

no shoulder issues though, knock on wood.

Reactions: santacruzin