Shoulders

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Maybe file this under "No sh!t, Sherlock," but paddling is a pulling motion, so pull ups are a more effective strengthening exercise than pushups. I don't know what one accomplishes performance-wise with pushups. Better pop up?

Last edited:
Reactions: paunch23

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Maybe file this under "No sh!t, Sherlock," but paddling is a pulling motion, so pull ups are a more effective strengthening exercise than pushups. I don't know what one accomplishes performance-wise with pushups. Better pop up?
I think the idea is that when you do one motion over and over such as the pulling motion when paddling you can end up with muscle imbalances. Strong, tight muscles in one movement direction and stretched, weak muscles in the other. Strengthening your pushing muscles helps balance things and prevent injury.

Or something.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Shoulder problems can be from duck diving and popping up. I think a lot of duck diving causes old shoulder injury to flare up.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Shoulders are a complicated joint, it moves in every plane/range of motion. I think when paddling, you generally want to try and put yourself in a position that so that your using them the least, it's a pretty small muscle group, and will fatigue the fastest. I think joint health would be the priority, hanging from a pull-up bar, that's mentioned above is great, as well as the banded distraction shoulder stretches. From there work on some scapular retraction, stabilization exercise (y, t, cobras, planks on a physio ball,) it's definitely a great idea to superset or combine any sort of pull/row after each pressing exercise, band pull-aparts are great too.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
i've had and have frozen/angry shoulders on both sides for years
It's a bitch and takes time to resolve/loosen up
happens most of the time to those over 55/60 mostly to women
usually due to weight gain/diabetes/shoulder damage in your early years
pushups are great and bar hangs with your weight are good for both shoulders and back
swimming is good too

Reactions: Aruka

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
A few years back when i turned 40, the wheels fell off. Knee reco, then I got parsonage turner in both shoulders - lost my infraspinatus muscle as a result in the left shoulder and couldn't lift my arm above my head for nearly 12 months. Weights are gone for me. The fixes were acupuncture, a scap strengthening program, loads of cissus (amazing anti-inflammatory herb) and time. Of course, all that time out of water ruined my chances of challenging Kelly to a title, but after rethinking my training - focusing on bodyweight and rings, i'm fitter now than i was twenty years ago. My shoulders (fingers crossed) are fine now - but i don't do anything overhead that's too strenuous. And to reiterate what others have said, hanging from a bar for a few minutes a day and some band work to warm up are highly recommended.

Reactions: Havoc

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Shoulder problems can be from duck diving and popping up. I think a lot of duck diving causes old shoulder injury to flare up.
Yes! And it can be a catch-22. I injured my shoulder a couple of seasons ago - landed head first off the top of a decent sized wave - couldn't get my arms out in front ... felt a electrical twinge go through my neck, shoulder and arm. Long story short - on the road to recovery - started taking out larger boards - more foam etc - thinking the ease of paddling would help reduce strain on the shoulder. Ended up re-injuring it a couple of times trying to hold onto the larger board while duck diving.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Long story short - on the road to recovery - started taking out larger boards - more foam etc - thinking the ease of paddling would help reduce strain on the shoulder. Ended up re-injuring it a couple of times trying to hold onto the larger board while duck diving.
This is it! I need to warm up my shoulders like I was going to do a chest workout before I surf a big board in larger waves with lot of duck diving . Its not the paddling ,it is repeated chess press motion using a bigger board.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
This is it! I need to warm up my shoulders like I was going to do a chest workout before I surf a big board in larger waves with lot of duck diving . Its not the paddling ,it is repeated chess press motion using a bigger board.
A couple of other things that have helped ... when popping up i try to get my front foot up and under me as quick as i can and emphasize using my front foot/leg to push up to take the weight/pressure off my shoulders versus relying completely on the shoulders. Same with duck diving - as i push the front of the board down with my arms/shoulders - i bring my foot up under and use my foot/leg to help submerge the board and take some of the pressure off my shoulders. Minor things - but have made a difference.

Njryan

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 25, 2011
I tore my rotator cuff popping up...literally heard and pop and now 3 months post surgery doing PT for 3 more months. Do whatever you can to avoid this scenario, been out if the water since June. Your welcome East Coast for the waves.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Roll on a lacrosse ball against a wall, stretch a lot, and using a theragun before and after helps keeps me going. Lots of potassium too. I like doing some burpees regularly when its flat to keep my strength, i find when im fatigued my popups are the first thing to suffer anf that helps a lot with that

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Take rolled up towell or leash (I use usb cable 6') down on knees wrap.cable between hands hold shoulder length and rotate back and forward holding hands with cable above head (all way forward and back) 30 reps.

Reactions: santacruzin