shoulders/back

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
groms dad should have stopped at 10 and had a gin and tonic,
technically I am doing mainly chin ups, seems like less stress on the part of my shoulder that hurts with my palms towards me versus away grip, hanging seems to help too,

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
technically I am doing mainly chin ups, seems like less stress on the part of my shoulder that hurts with my palms towards me versus away grip, hanging seems to help too,
my dad does chin ups. he's 72. can still do 10+.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Too much of a good thing...........not a good thing. When I was dealing with shoulder problems I discovered that static hanging was the cure for my issue.

Hanging turned into pull ups as the shoulder healed and I got stronger. Worked my way up and was pushing myself to do more and more. Back around Thanksgiving at the end of a workout I was at 13 and should have stopped. Determined to get to 15 I pushed it. On #15 I felt something tear. Either a muscle or tendon tore that connects from the ulner nerve area to my middle and ring fingers. The pain centers about 4 inches from my elbow. Whatever I did has been a very long and painful healing process.
u need to leave 2 in the tank. Don’t take these to failure.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Its been 8 months and I still can't even hang from a bar yet. Pushing motions are no problem. Anything that requires grip strength, lifting or pulling towards myself forget about it. Thankfully it does not effect surfing or golf.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
u need to leave 2 in the tank. Don’t take these to failure.
Big fan of static hangs and working on active scapular? retraction(“ears are shoulder poison” Max Shank).
When you can do 10 pull-ups it’s time to add weights to the process.
A long time ago I decided not to do anything that didn’t let me rotate my shoulders/locked them into place= only dumbbells/kettlebells and gymnastic rings.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Mark Rippetoe recommends chin ups over pull ups. Not sure why. I think he thinks people do them to build the biceps for aesthetic reasons and the chin up does this.

I do 1 pull up and then 2 push ups, 2 pull ups and then 4 push ups.. until failure and then work back down. I've gone up to 7, but nowadays just go to 5. In the end if you go to 5 you do 25 pull ups and 50 push ups. Works for me.

I think the overhead press is making my shoulder sore.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Too much of a good thing...........not a good thing. When I was dealing with shoulder problems I discovered that static hanging was the cure for my issue.

Hanging turned into pull ups as the shoulder healed and I got stronger. Worked my way up and was pushing myself to do more and more. Back around Thanksgiving at the end of a workout I was at 13 and should have stopped. Determined to get to 15 I pushed it. On #15 I felt something tear. Either a muscle or tendon tore that connects from the ulner nerve area to my middle and ring fingers. The pain centers about 4 inches from my elbow. Whatever I did has been a very long and painful healing process.

Reactions: GromsDad

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
^ i'm hyper mobile an used to do a lot of weighted negatives, weighted pullups, etc - my high-elastin content body tissue just can not support the static hanging without loosening my joints to the point of instability.

I felt like I was always pretty good to stay within the correct range of motion and not leverage the joint - but i wonder if i fucked myself lifting heavy and doing a lot of negative work during college.

I've had multiple shoulder surgeries to repair my shoulders after they've dislocated catastrophically.

I'm in PT from my third surgery on my right shoulder now.

@Autoprax thank you for posting the Kabuki fitness links. I'm working through similar back/shoulderblade/clavicle mobility/knots/numbness issues right now and accumobility balls that you recommended are way better than the tennis ball i was using.

I was looking at buying a boomstick - but it looks like the ShoulderRok is the same thing - plus a mace/club tool that will also help with PT. I'm thinking the break-down version of the shoulderrock looks like Boomstick +

Am i missing something?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
^ i'm hyper mobile an used to do a lot of weighted negatives, weighted pullups, etc - my high-elastin content body tissue just can not support the static hanging without loosening my joints to the point of instability.

I felt like I was always pretty good to stay within the correct range of motion and not leverage the joint - but i wonder if i fucked myself lifting heavy and doing a lot of negative work during college.

I've had multiple shoulder surgeries to repair my shoulders after they've dislocated catastrophically.

I'm in PT from my third surgery on my right shoulder now.

@Autoprax thank you for posting the Kabuki fitness links. I'm working through similar back/shoulderblade/clavicle mobility/knots/numbness issues right now and accumobility balls that you recommended are way better than the tennis ball i was using.

I was looking at buying a boomstick - but it looks like the ShoulderRok is the same thing - plus a mace/club tool that will also help with PT. I'm thinking the break-down version of the shoulderrock looks like Boomstick +

Am i missing something?
The shoulderRox looks like an exesrice tool.

Where as the boomstick is a weighted soft tissue device.

If you don't want to spend the money right now, you could use PVC pipe and roll on it.

Do you have access to an olympic bar?

You can use that to roll your traps.

You rest one end on a fence at shoulder level and the other is on your shoulder.

Then you raise your arm over head and roll the bar toward your neck.

I also put is across two chair put my arm over it, and rolled my arm pit where the lat meets my shoulder pit.

There will be "tissue issues" there. I dare not use the term "trigger point."

You know the soft tissue stuff works if it stops hurting, either right away or in a few days, and you can train again.

If that doesn't work you know that isn't the solution

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
1596494356898.png

^ the end of the shoulderrok looks like the end of the painpill.boomstick + heavier. it's the nice end and the weight that i'm looking for. i used to use a gym - i dont have any weights at home, so no olympic bar

my upper chest/traps are pretty thick and seeing the dude pressing it into his clavicle and under his armpit was like a eureka moment - i use a light rolling bar now and have my girlfriend lean on it.... but having something weighted would make it do much easier to do myself. ...

i never thought about a weighted instrument ... it will also make my GF's life easier

then i'm thinking i can use it as a exercise / stability building tool once i'm at that level again.

Last edited:

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
You rest one end on a fence at shoulder level and the other is on your shoulder.

Then you raise your arm over head and roll the bar toward your neck.

I also put is across two chair put my arm over it, and rolled my arm pit where the lat meets my shoulder pit.
thank you for these

Reactions: Autoprax

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Chronic upper back pain has many possible sources but among the musculosketal etiologies one should aim for a good stretching and posture program. Also, at times ice, heat, balms, and occasionally ingested anti-inflammatories. If that doesn't help an imaging study could be needed. Sometimes, other structural issues need different interventions like scoliosis, degenerative arthritis, disc disorders, and fractures.