Should Juneteenth revered on the same level as July 4th as an American holiday?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If I get the bitch off paid they can geld it and call it Caitlyn for all I give a f--k.

Although sign me up for Columbus Day, Election Day, and Veteran's Day.

I need another one off during the heat of high summer like I need a hole in the head. October-November, that's the sh!t I'm talking about.

I'd like to ditch Independence Day for Veteran's Day and Election Day,
It's the Presidents Day to Memorial Day stretch that kills me, especially since that's when I'm busiest, expectations are highest and I can't take more than a few days off. This year my employer started giving us Good Friday off and it was a friggin godsend. Splits the difference nicely.

Veteran's Day would be cool too, but by then it's close enough to the holidays that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Columbus Day would be clutch though :beer:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If I get the bitch off paid they can geld it and call it Caitlyn for all I give a f--k.

Although sign me up for Columbus Day, Election Day, and Veteran's Day.

I need another one off during the heat of high summer like I need a hole in the head. October-November, that's the sh!t I'm talking about.

I'd like to ditch Independence Day for Veteran's Day and Election Day,
MLK, Presidents, and Cesar Chavez Day fill in the January to Memorial Day gap. Only the latter is a truly useful holiday since not everyone has it. What's the point of having the day off when EVERYONE has it off? Just makes everywhere crowded.

Fall is the best season, though.

Why not just screw all the official holidays and make them all floaters so you can take and use them at your whim (i.e., when the surf is good)?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
We just refi'd a couple of weeks ago and our notary, a black gal (drove from Santa Barbara to Jalama for the signing). We bought her a Jalama burger for making the drive. While we were eating our burgers, she was telling us about her and her husbands Juneteenth plans. They go to Texas every year and celebrate in either Austin or San Antonio where they have friends. She says it's pretty big in Texas and they've been going for 20 or so years and in her words, "Pahteh hard and loud, we're going to drink some Daiquiris". She finished with "I know how to pahteh, I'm from New Orleans baby, give me some Daiquiris and step back." Both my wife and I were aware of the date but did not know it was widely celebrated. You never know what you'll learn when you sit down and break bread with strangers.

Reactions: hammies

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Juneteenth makes more sense to have as a holiday than MLK Day, but I'm all about having more holidays, not less. Double time is good

However, in today's lens of caricatures are racist, a la Aunt Jemima/Uncle Ben, Juneteenth sounds racist as fuck.