Should I support my local shaper?

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
My answer is normally yes. But, my local shaper is Gerry Lopez. :shaka: Just found out he lives about 10 clicks away from me. What say you all? I'm inclined to, if just because I had posters of him all over my wall as a keiki. Anyone have any dealings/experience with his boards? Too expensive? PM if :batman:

Mahalos!

altabrig

OTF status
Oct 23, 2012
Be nice to get an 8'0" with the tiger stripes. Not sure how the locals will look at you down at seaside with a new Gerry board?

Maybe just get a sixer of black butte and hook some of those big Metolius bulls and shlarve some Bachelor pow (if el nino is kind to the southern cascades.)

I have always coveted those Lopez boards in the 7' - 9'.

If you got the ducats its a no-brainer.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Get a really nice looking, signed 7'2" pintail and hang on your wall.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
You can tell all his boards are for heavier water. There's no shorter-wider stuff really

Sanzabar

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 24, 2009
dude, in awe, you are a near Olympia
his Little Darlin design is shantilly-lace
I had a stick shaped based on that shape, dang thing broke my leg

http://www.gerrylopezsurfboards.com/surfboards#shortboards

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Gerry's boards are very nice and still in demand. I saw a few at the Patagonia store my sister manages. They ran about $900. They were over 7'0 and the boards being sold at Patagonia have to be glassed using epoxy.

A few of his long time friends that surf Bowls still get boards from him. They are fun gun type shapes and are well made. From what I understand Gerry is a businessman and there are no bro deals. He charges what the market will bear. Good for him.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
altabrig said:
Maybe just get a sixer of black butte and hook some of those big Metolius bulls and shlarve some Bachelor pow (if el nino is kind to the southern cascades.)
He needs a nice two handed fly rod for Deschutes steelhead too.

altabrig

OTF status
Oct 23, 2012
R3W said:
altabrig said:
He needs a nice two handed fly rod for Deschutes steelhead too.
True.

They got spey rods at the Bend Sportsman's Warehouse cheap.

Get those bucks hanging on the swing.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Every time I see a Lopez board I get all hot and bothered thinking of Laird at G-Land in Endless Summer 2.

I would love to get ahold of a used one with the pressure dents of his tremendous testicles in the deck

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
ifallalot said:
Every time I see a Lopez board I get all hot and bothered thinking of Laird at G-Land in Endless Summer 2.

I would love to get ahold of a used one with the pressure dents of his tremendous testicles in the deck
im gonna give you credit...that IS by far the gayest thign i've ever read on here....kaser, the longbaord now moderator-adnrewkidman freak guy, stu, and everyone combined

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
20W-50 and blood said:
ifallalot said:

im gonna give you credit...that IS by far the gayest thign i've ever read on here....kaser, the longbaord now moderator-adnrewkidman freak guy, stu, and everyone combined
I aim to please