Should I keep the house

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
Yup Feral , early withdraw will cost ya 10 percent penalty , plus taxed on what income bracket . A 20 percent bracket plus the 10 is a pricey withdrawal .

Reactions: Aruka

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
My wife and I sold our house a block from the ocean a long time ago and we will never not regret that terrible decision and can likely never get back into that location unless we win a lottery or inherit millions. We had all these reasons for selling that seemed to make sense at the time but in hindsight we should have never sold it (to say nothing about the fact that it would be 6 years away from fully paid off at this point!). In my opinion if you are in a location you like by the beach, you should try to hang on to it. As others have said, buy the other half out and rent it if you have to. For whatever that's worth.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
may be a way to give co owner part of my 401k instead of withdrawing since we’ll be dividing assets? Idk?

Reactions: oeste858

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Close to the beach, right? Hold onto if at all possible such properties never lose value.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Isn’t shared custody most common?
in my opinion, logistically, when parents live somewhat close to each other, shared custody works better
if both parents live within a reasonable distance from kids schools or day care, then the kids can be with either parent on a school day

its also important that both parents have homes where theres enough room for the kids to have beds and their stuff

i dont know how the average divorced parents pull that off
maintaining a single home is costly enough. Maintaining 2 in a high cost of living place, I guess you gotta be making bank

if my wife and I had split when the kids were young, I don’t know that we’d have been able to have 2 3 bedroom Homes for the kids in neigborhoods we’d want to live in

keep the house if you can, while putting what’s best for your kids first

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Worth liquidating the 401k to keep a house that close to the beach in CA
thats what I was thinking, yeah you’ll get penalized but long run house with appreciate you that penalty back and if it goes to kids then it basically solved part of the reason of starting it in the first place

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
studios are going for 2-2.5k right now. Insane. I don’t want to lose this house. 3 beds and I completely redid the front yard looks like a fkn botanical garden backyard too I’ve got a bunch of citrus, an avocado, two different guava trees all thriving.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
studios are going for 2-2.5k right now. Insane. I don’t want to lose this house. 3 beds and I completely redid the front yard looks like a fkn botanical garden backyard too I’ve got a bunch of citrus, an avocado, two different guava trees all thriving.
That sh!t is yours.

Reactions: rts265