Shortboard thruster rockers 1980 - early 90s.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
The rockers in the 80's were rather low compared to the banana rockered early 90's boards.
Evolution from the low MR rocker then an extreme change with Kelly Slater's high nose rocker glass slipper and Greg Webber's response with Shane Herring on the banana rocker. Then settling down to what we have today.

Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns
For the OP, the Orbelian "Essential Surfing" book has nose-to-tail numbers for the rockers of 80's thrusters from CI, Rusty, and others. For the last couple of years I have been making myself 80s style shortboards based on the examples in the book with flat/slight vee entry to vee out the tail. Crisp hard rails all the way up. Have been loving them. Feel so good on takeoff. Best for floaters and foam climbs.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
For the OP, the Orbelian "Essential Surfing" book has nose-to-tail numbers for the rockers of 80's thrusters from CI, Rusty, and others.
Wait, what?!? Is this George our creator? I blame him then.
The ESSENTIAL SURFING book has been described as “the Bible of Surfing.” Since 1982 ES has been the best source for information about surfboard design and equipment. Author George Orbelian, a proponent of measurement controlled shaping, created the Design Forum while Surfboard Design Editor for SURFER Magazine.”

• Love
Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Also, this is not what i thought a tri plane hull bottom was. Anyone care to expand on this?:
Tri Plane Hull – The tri plane hull was developed by Al Merrick and consists of a shallow concave on each side of the stringer that extends from the center of the board to the fin(s). Added lift is created as water passes diagonally across this contour, similar in action to water rushing over a stone in a stream. The effect of the tri plane hull is similar to channels but more subtle. Channels have more directional sense, producing more drive and projection out of turns, but the tri plane hull is quicker in leaning edge to edge.”

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
For what it's worth....my Modfish2 is by far the fastest board I own....effortless speed. You feel it when you're paddling....I suspect it's because without concave you have a bit more volume per dimensions and the flat planning surface helps also. Once on your feet in just goes...very flowwy and fast. You don't pump it...you point it. It's hard to describe the feeling but it's a controlled freeness. Never out of control but able to turn as fast as you can think it. Nothing unexpected ever. I've noticed on south wind days that it performs much better than my standard boards with concave in those conditions. Also, there's no sensitivity to a sweet spot...that I can find anyway.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
In the mushy waves down here, I noticed that any setup w/o the center anchor takes off as soon as you get to your feet. Don't have to pump it to get it going.

Reactions: need 4 speed