"Ship spotting" - cool insta follow

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
There are a few detailed explanations in the comments.

apparently, the Chinese are using some sort of airbag technology.
yeah, i've seen them roll ships into the water on airbags, but never saw a ship have so much steel cantilevered out over thin air like that. I think the slowed motion of the clip makes it seem like it's hangin out there probably longer than it is, but dang that a lot of weight.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
yeah, i've seen them roll ships into the water on airbags, but never saw a ship have so much steel cantilevered out over thin air like that. I think the slowed motion of the clip makes it seem like it's hangin out there probably longer than it is, but dang that a lot of weight.
And when it goes into the water, why doesn't it pearl and get stuck on the bottom? There seems to be a few videos that are fake>
http://instagr.am/p/Cr5VZLwsGKF/ this looks wrong too.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Man that looks like an asymmetrical load on that hull! But it got me to thinking - how even is the hull loading in heavy seas? Does the wave load only the front, accelerating the bow mass upwards then once the mass is moving the wave sort of passes beneath the rest of the ship?

And mid-ocean heavy seas stuff is unreal. I've been up inside the bow of a Frigate in those conditions and I think the bow would ride down a wave then punch into the next wave and then, being under water, rise going up sort of shaking side to side as it fought its way up and out of the wave. Going down it just went straight down but coming up it was like it was shaking the bit in its teeth. Some real left right shudder there. Us guys up inside that bow had to relieve the man on watch every 20 minutes or so at times. No one could stand it any longer - we would be pleading for relief.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
This should blow your mind if you have never seen this site before.
It's AIS tracking for marine vessels just like planes.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
This should blow your mind if you have never seen this site before.
It's AIS tracking for marine vessels just like planes.

The building is on the hill in Pedro overlooking the harbor. Right next to the Korean Friendship Bell. Above Pt. Fermin.

Reactions: keenfish