Shingles

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Talk to me. Aside from the oral anti-viral meds, Any suggestions of things that helped ease the itching of the blisters /rash? The feeling of skin crawling under the surface is unbearable at times.
Any topicals that helped?

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Damn, sorry to hear you got it. I found calamine helped a lot but putting it on was not a pleasant experience. I just took a ton of advil but they said use whatever works best for me, wouldn't prescribe anything else. I also took Benadryl every night to sleep because I couldn't fall asleep without it.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I had to work through the whole thing but if I could've I would've just taken sleep aids and slept through as much as possible because being awake was pretty miserable.

• Sad

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Oh yeah, and because I'm vain and it was also on my face, the sores will scar. Once they've crusted over I started using moisturizer to keep the scarring to a minimum, it also helped with the typical scab itch.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hope it's quick. How soon did you figure it out and get the antiviral?
I noticed blisters above my eye and scalp on Sat afternoon. there was one on my eyelid which concerned me the most. I thought it was cold sore blisters (which I've never had anywhere but my bottom lip, so freaked me out) so I actually took a 4mg course of valcyclivir Sat-Sun. Went to dermatologist Mon morning and she said right away Shingles and gave me the Rx for a 7-day course of valcyclovir and said it probably helped that I took some right away. Because of the one on the left eyelid (which is covered by the fold when eye is open), she referred me to an ophthalmologist, and he did some tests and said it is not affecting the eye, and doesn't look like it would.
It never got worse than Sun/Mon and seems to be going down with some scabbing already. Thanks for the heads up about the scarring.

Might sounds strange, but the ones in my scalp/hairline is where I noticed little red bumps last week- right around where I had a contusion from getting hit in the head by the rail of my board last Tuesday. I didn't think much of it at the time, but had minor concussion symptoms like headache and sensitivity to light (so I went to urgent care clinic at Scripps) and noticed the red bumps Wed and Thurs. In hindsight, I should've seen the dermatologist then and maybe could've nipped it in the bud before the blisters on my face emerged.
But I wonder if the trauma of the contusion could've triggered the shingles??

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
They say it's usually some sort of stress. For me I had a crazy stressful couple months in the beginning of winter but life was pretty good when it happened and I hadn't had any particular stressful events recently. I get the impression that they don't fully understand what causes it.

You did better than me. I felt the nerve pain and thought I tweaked my neck working out so I went to the chiro and didn't end up getting the anti-viral till about a week in. Hopefully getting it pretty early does the trick for you!

I definitely had a headache and sensitivity you're describing almost the whole time. I don't know if it was just from the nerves firing on my head or what.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
They say it's usually some sort of stress. For me I had a crazy stressful couple months in the beginning of winter but life was pretty good when it happened and I hadn't had any particular stressful events recently. I get the impression that they don't fully understand what causes it.

You did better than me. I felt the nerve pain and thought I tweaked my neck working out so I went to the chiro and didn't end up getting the anti-viral till about a week in. Hopefully getting it pretty early does the trick for you!

I definitely had a headache and sensitivity you're describing almost the whole time. I don't know if it was just from the nerves firing on my head or what.
it sounded like you were out of commish for a couple weeks.
did you wait until everything was completely clear before you went out in the sun / got back in the water?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Yeah, mine was on the long side unfortunately. I waited until everything was scabbed over and I was feeling better. I definitely lost a few scabs in the ocean but I just moisturized the sh!t out of the areas (mostly my neck). The only good thing in regards to surfing is I didn't have fomo because I felt like such ass that I didn't care at all that there were waves. haha

Reactions: oeste858

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
They told me to take Tylenol for pain.

The anti viral didn't seem to work on me.

After I went to the dr, it actually got worse.

I called at called BS on using Tylenol.

They gave me 6 norcos and some gaba penton.

It was 6 weeks of hell.

it hurt to lie on it. I had on back and front.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Oh that sounds awful. Compared to that, I’ll take a couple bumps on the forehead. Mine definitely has gone down with the valcyclovir. The weather is so nice this week that I’m jonesing to surf, but I don’t think the sun is good for the blisters so I’ll try to be cautious and wait a few more days.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
oeste858 --> Did you have the older shingles vaccine (or not at all)? You don't have to answer.

Asking only because I know a earlier vaccine (Zoster was the brand name?) was replaced in the USA with Shingrix brand vaccine. For me, first Shingrix shot was walk in a slightly scare forest, 2nd was was a walk in a forest full of monsters and me nursing a ghastly hangover and covered in delicious savory sauce.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
oeste858 --> Did you have the older shingles vaccine (or not at all)? You don't have to answer.

Asking only because I know a earlier vaccine (Zoster was the brand name?) was replaced in the USA with Shingrix brand vaccine. For me, first Shingrix shot was walk in a slightly scare forest, 2nd was was a walk in a forest full of monsters and me nursing a ghastly hangover and covered in delicious savory sauce.
Jeez. I hadn’t had a vaccine.
Ironically, I had asked my GP at my physical back in August about the shingles vax, but he said I don't need it til age 50. D'oh!
I know a few other guys in they're 30's-40's who've gotten it, and it sounds like mine is a comparatively mild case.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Did you have chicken pox as a kid?
I thought only people who had it can get shingles?
Damn. I talked about getting the shingles vaccine last year because my doc recommended it. I kicked mt colonoscopy down the road too. Fuck.

• Wow
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Did you have chicken pox as a kid?
I thought only people who had it can get shingles?
Damn. I talked about getting the shingles vaccine last year because my doc recommended it. I kicked mt colonoscopy down the road too. fook.
Yea when I was like 6 or 7.
that’s correct- only if you’ve had chicken pox. I can’t give someone shingles, but can give them chicken pox if they haven’t had it or been vaxxed for chicken pox.

I am also procrastinating my first colonoscopy recommended at my last GP physical. Sounds awful

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MathDebater