Shimming

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Been getting some long rides on my belly and I think it’s time to stand up.

A guy told me it would make it is easier if I positive shim the back wing on my Axis.

True or false?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
All personal preference. I say ride it the way it's designed and get used to that before you go and start messing around with shimming.

He's probably trying to make it so the foil comes up out of the water slower. You can accomplish the same thing by moving the mast towards the tail a little bit. I'm talking 1/8th of an inch increments.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Stand on your front foot more. It's opposite to surfing. Push the nose down, you're balancing over the front wing, not the fin cluster.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah, been riding prone to get the feel, pushing down with my front hand to control the lift.
The board is your training wheels. You're still flying the foil, even if the board is on the water. So your goal is to get to your feet with board on the water. Lift off the water by lifting your front foot and immediately pushing back down with it. Do not lean back! Stay centered over your front foot the whole time. Get the board off the water, put the board back on the water. Repeat. Longer flights when you feel comfortable flying above the water.

Fall 2 feet away from the board at all times.

Reactions: Autoprax

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The board is your training wheels. You're still flying the foil, even if the board is on the water. So your goal is to get to your feet with board on the water. Lift off the water by lifting your front foot and immediately pushing back down with it. Do not lean back! Stay centered over your front foot the whole time. Get the board off the water, put the board back on the water. Repeat. Longer flights when you feel comfortable flying above the water.

Fall 2 feet away from the board at all times.
Yeah, flying prone has given me somewhat of a feel for how to play with the amount of lift.

Crazy what a tiny shift of the weight back can do.

Tried to get out there again today but once I got out there realized the tide wasn't high enough.

Figuring out how to handle all the gear without damaging it is like another sport in itself. Curious how you guys handle your stuff when you're transporting to and fro. How much do you guys break down? I've been removing the fuselage every session as it's the easiest way to get the thing in and out my truck.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah, flying prone has given me somewhat of a feel for how to play with the amount of lift.

Tried to get out there again today but once I got out there realized the tide wasn't high enough.

Figuring out how to handle all the gear without damaging it is like another sport in itself. Curious how you guys handle your stuff when you're transporting to and fro. How much do you guys break down? I've been removing the fuselage every session as it's the easiest way to get the thing in and out my truck.

I drive a Prius. I take my mast off the board and my fuse off the mast every time. I don't break the foil off the fuselage though. 6 screws each setup and take down for me.

They're MUCH tougher than surfboards is the good thing. I can go a year or more without dinging a foil board. Surfboards it feels like 2 sessions. As far as the foils themselves, well, just grind those things into the sand bar. I do try to only bump rocks lightly if possible, but I've hit them going pretty fast too. The gear holds up.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Are you able to plane on the wing on your belly on a wave?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yes, really long rides.

You paddle into it way forward.

Once's you're up and planing you can weight the front with your hand a bit to control lift, or shift back if needed.
I have a foil board for behind a ski boat.

I was thinking of trying to ride on my belly out front of the house on a high tide.

The wing might be too small

It would be good for you to foil behind a jet ski or a boat I bet.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I feel like riding prone has given me a good understanding of how the foil operates.

I’m ready to stand up but the waves have been too big. Waist high is like Mavericks.

Do u have a ski boat?
No, just the efoil

I was going to try towing another on that but my progress on it has been slow.

Because I haven't done it constantly.

It's a hassle to launch from the beach in the surf.

My friend was making fun of me for getting stressed entering and exiting. He said, you just have to stay calm.

So I got it out past the surf and he swam out and used it, then when he came in a wave ripped out of his hands and it went tumbling in the white water.

I was like, Yeah, you just got to stay calm.

Having fucked up leg adds to the fun.

I might go to mission bay on Friday depending on the weather.

Mar 2, 2019
I’m ready to stand up but the waves have been too big. Waist high is like Mavericks.
Yep! The longer the period swell, the more that's true. Explaining taking off on foil to a surfer, I always says it's like longboarding pipeline. Paddle as hard as you can and jump way forward to get your weight and momentum on the nose. Give the board a few pumps like you're you're trying to push the nose down. Then take a small step back and gently shift your weight back while keeping the same rythum. You do not want to take off on the peak using the top of the wave like in surfing, but rather stay lower on the wave. If all you have is dumping (but still small) waves, then let the wave break and use the whitewater reform.