Shed Sessions - G&S Skip with Devon

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Skip was classic in this. “It does nothing for me.” “Throw it somewhere”. Devin looked good at the bu on it.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
U think bird was bummed on the general consensus from Devon and Skip being that he picked out that board? I think he called it a special one.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Bird is a SD surf history nerd, so I bet he was a little bummed inside that they both trashed it. Like many of us, looking at it as a vintage Skip, probably easier to appreciate the idea of it and it's place in design evolution, than to actually surf it. If DH said he struggled on it, imagine how kooky a mere mortal would be riding it. Wish they could've swapped out the flexy fin- seemed like it was only adding to the design issues.
Bird has such an incredible selection, it would be great if they'd do more of these.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Must've been the lack of wearing a front zipper vest no ulimate shrewd with jazz hands:):):) Stocked board got surfed and not a dust collector. Fuk bird and rest of collectors who bring high $$$ to boards made to surf.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
U think bird was bummed on the general consensus from Devon and Skip being that he picked out that board? I think he called it a special one.
I had one of those when I was in High School. Got it from a Black dude in Inglewood, long story. That board killed it at the Cove. You could do the longest down the line bottom turns ever.

Flat deck with bottom roll up to meet the pinched rail. So fast, but so hard to ride. All my buds would ride it and fail, only very few could pull it off. They could turn, but you had to have the right technique.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
that pic stuck in my head for a long time!

iirc, from the january 1970 issue of surfer...
r.a. at the ‘69 huntington contest...

i had only been surfing for a few months at that point. :socrazy:
I picked Reno up at the airport for a contest in Santa Cruz that year , he had 2 red tint Brewers with that white center black fin .
It was tiny before the contest and we met up with David Nuuhiwa up north at spot that had surf .

David showed us his quiver of Hynson shaped Downrails made under the Bahne label .

Good Fun !

Reactions: donuts and chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I picked Reno up at the airport for a contest in Santa Cruz that year , he had 2 red tint Brewers with that white center black fin .
It was tiny before the contest and we met up with David Nuuhiwa up north at spot that had surf .

David showed us his quiver of Hynson shaped Downrails made under the Bahne label .

Good Fun !
I won't ask the spot, but it's cool to imagine the legends hanging at those spots back in the day, must've been scarcely anybody around. How long would you guys last in the old beaver tails? Those guys must've been tripping on the cold!