Sharpeye Surfboards

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Who's gonna go and rip the new synergy and report back for the bros? The twin turbo looks sick also.

http://instagr.am/p/CePd6Xypi2T/
Wish I could order some sharp eyes but it's so hard to nail the thickness and volume and I already have too much on order.
Saturday I was at the shop and saw one and fully yolo'd and picked it up. I like the I72 a lot and wanted to find something to complement it for once the waves are head high and up. Surfed it at a slopey Santa Cruz style point wave sets a little over head. Felt really good on rail where most boards would bog on a fatter shoulder it just kept driving through the turn. Waves kinda shut down after the first hour so didn't get enough waves for a full report but first impression is its good. Dims are always tough with Sharp Eye's as the width and thickness seem to always be inflated compared to other board makers. I saw a friend that is some sort of a rep for Sharp Eye and he said the Synergy is the Okay model made fuller for Jack Robinson.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Saturday I was at the shop and saw one and fully yolo'd and picked it up. I like the I72 a lot and wanted to find something to complement it for once the waves are head high and up. Surfed it at a slopey Santa Cruz style point wave sets a little over head. Felt really good on rail where most boards would bog on a fatter shoulder it just kept driving through the turn. Waves kinda shut down after the first hour so didn't get enough waves for a full report but first impression is its good. Dims are always tough with Sharp Eye's as the width and thickness seem to always be inflated at same volume compared to other board makers. I opted for one closer to my volume I ride and just ignored the dimensions. I saw a friend that is some sort of a rep for Sharp Eye and he said the Synergy is the Okay model made fuller for Jack Robinson.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Saturday I was at the shop and saw one and fully yolo'd and picked it up. I like the I72 a lot and wanted to find something to complement it for once the waves are head high and up. Surfed it at a slopey Santa Cruz style point wave sets a little over head. Felt really good on rail where most boards would bog on a fatter shoulder it just kept driving through the turn. Waves kinda shut down after the first hour so didn't get enough waves for a full report but first impression is its good. Dims are always tough with Sharp Eye's as the width and thickness seem to always be inflated compared to other board makers. I saw a friend that is some sort of a rep for Sharp Eye and he said the Synergy is the Okay model made fuller for Jack Robinson.
Is it a very full rocker like the 77? I've never been able to feel up an Okay model. I like my 77+ but it needs legit good and big surf to come alive. I've been wanting something that's a step up from the i72 but maybe isn't quite as highly tuned as the 77.

Reactions: ehiunno

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
What a coincidence, I just got a disco cheater as well. Arrived at freight shipper today. Will post when I get it.
One of my favorite shortboards, got a replacement for my 4 year old one that's getting pretty beat and doesn't feel as poppy.
From surftech, stringerless carbon EPS layup. I think it works from knee high to a few few overhead. I size it a little bigger than a stubby/dumpster diver, but shorter than HPSB. I'm 6'1 and like the 5'10 x 19.75" x 2.6"

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
What a coincidence, I just got a disco cheater as well. Arrived at freight shipper today. Will post when I get it.
One of my favorite shortboards, got a replacement for my 4 year old one that's getting pretty beat and doesn't feel as poppy.
From surftech, stringerless carbon EPS layup. I think it works from knee high to a few few overhead. I size it a little bigger than a stubby/dumpster diver, but shorter than HPSB. I'm 6'1 and like the 5'10 x 19.75" x 2.6"
My first time riding my cheater was HH good conditions at my local. It was embarrassing.

I sized mine at 5'8" stonk, same EPS construction. It doesn't belong under my feet in anything larger than stomach high for me. Such a curvy outline, insanely fun in small, racy beaches.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
You're doing gods work over here. Much appreciated.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My first time riding my cheater was HH good conditions at my local. It was embarrassing.

I sized mine at 5'8" stonk, same EPS construction. It doesn't belong under my feet in anything larger than stomach high for me. Such a curvy outline, insanely fun in small, racy beaches.
it's funny but because of your review I was expecting the DC that I grabbed to be much more stubby and chunky. looking at stock dims though there is some variation and it's not just a steady growth in width/thickness as you go up in length. my 5-11 is one of the slimmer dim ones and it doesn't feel too stubby/curvy. i doubt it will be my choice for anything too much over head high but i don't think it will struggled in anything below that. the tail is under 15" wide and the rocker felt adequate for steep, late drops.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
it's funny but because of your review I was expecting the DC that I grabbed to be much more stubby and chunky. looking at stock dims though there is some variation and it's not just a steady growth in width/thickness as you go up in length. my 5-11 is one of the slimmer dim ones and it doesn't feel too stubby/curvy. i doubt it will be my choice for anything too much over head high but i don't think it will struggled in anything below that. the tail is under 15" wide and the rocker felt adequate for steep, late drops.
My thoughts too. I'd be lying if I said it couldn't be the archer, but I had LOTs of chances to make the thing work that day. Even after I slid out on a bottom turn, I said, "hey Sixty, maybe your foot wasn't back all the way...". Adjusted, made SURE my foot was back, pushed off my bottom turn, still felt totally out of control. Never found the rhythm that whole session. Keep in mind the waves had some juice, and most sets were easily OH. Not at all what it was designed for.

I don't think it's the width of the tail, but how quickly it draws in and narrows, and maybe my fin selection (pretty small fins... maybe F6s). Also, the amount of tail rocker was way more than I needed for hard, delayed bottom turns I could draw way out.

Could be my preferences toward more parallel outlines? Could be I suck? YMMV.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My thoughts too. I'd be lying if I said it couldn't be the archer, but I had LOTs of chances to make the thing work that day. Even after I slid out on a bottom turn, I said, "hey Sixty, maybe your foot wasn't back all the way...". Adjusted, made SURE my foot was back, pushed off my bottom turn, still felt totally out of control. Never found the rhythm that whole session. Keep in mind the waves had some juice, and most sets were easily OH. Not at all what it was designed for.

I don't think it's the width of the tail, but how quickly it draws in and narrows, and maybe my fin selection (pretty small fins... maybe F6s). Also, the amount of tail rocker was way more than I needed for hard, delayed bottom turns I could draw way out.

Yeah I only have two sets of FCS2 fins so just ran the AM Large which felt fine and will probably be the set I run. Might try a smaller center fin at some point. No quad option for me.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021

Sounds like you could have used your 85' Catalina that day, a little mo rail never hurts on those OH days I always say

Reactions: SixtyGrit