Sharpeye Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like the I72 a lot. Its my most ridden thruster in the past year I think. Pretty much replaced my driver 2.0 which is also a great board. It feels like it has a bit more low end which I appreciate. Mine is in darkarts right at my own height. Compared to Pyzel shadow it probably doesnt paddle as well but catches waves fine and feels like it also has more low end as is easier to throw around. Its very easy to turn. It probably tops out sooner than some other thrusters I've owned but its fine in overhead surf and Ive pushed it in solid tubes with fine results.

I also have a PU 77+ from sharpeye which Ive been able to surf a bit recently. It has a load of rocker and a pretty slender foil but I really like it in the right surf. Its not some stiff step up ride but rather more like a good wave shortboard. As long as the waves have some size or push it feels pretty lively while still having plenty of hold. Feels like a great step up from the i72.

I will probably get a disco cheater at some point.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I will probably get a disco cheater at some point.
I just picked up a 5'8 disco cheater new in the surftech wired-esque eps factory construction. Feels great under the arm, looking forward to giving her a go in proper conditions.

Reactions: Aruka

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
September 2021 there seemed to be a sudden proliferation of Sharp Eye Surfboards and exceptional performances:

View attachment 123733

View attachment 123734

View attachment 123735

View attachment 123736

View attachment 123737

still remember several local rippers on sharpeyes when I was in my twenties. should have listened then. now he's getting what he deserves. met him a couple of times at the dock on fishing outings. great dude. stocked for his success

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
The 5'8" cheater goes great in thigh to stomach waves. Wide nose, wide, curvy outline, easy paddling.

Any sizing recommendations on a disco as an everyday board? Debating with the mini Ghost...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The 5'8" cheater goes great in thigh to stomach waves. Wide nose, wide, curvy outline, easy paddling.

Any sizing recommendations on a disco as an everyday board? Debating with the mini Ghost...
Seems like the Disco would pretty much overlap with the i72. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from one. I actually was tempted by the 6-1 stock Disco they have on the sharpeye site.

Does the Cheater satisfy your low end expectations and are you happy with the sizing in relation to your i72?

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Seems like the Disco would pretty much overlap with the i72. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from one. I actually was tempted by the 6-1 stock Disco they have on the sharpeye site.

Does the Cheater satisfy your low end expectations and are you happy with the sizing in relation to your i72?
Cheater is pure low end. Yes. Had 3 sessions on it. 1 shocker when I tried riding it in i72 conditions, 2 fun sessions between thigh and shoulder high. Still working out the kinks.

I love having the extra rail on the i72, and while it's sooo close to being an every day board, it just isn't. Not at those dims... And not in n.SD. I could do a disco at 5'7x19.25ish or a squashed i72 that is more DD dims.

Ended up going in the direction of the mini ghost due to yolo for a new daily driver truster replacement for my trusty 5'7 Rusty SD.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
To the guys that have some time on the I72 and a Pyzel Shadow, what's your thoughts on how they compare in the water? Shadow has been a good board for me and this one has always interested me on some level.
Sup duuus I've been absent from this place for a minute hope y'all are all well

I know you asked this a while back but I figured I'd throw my 2C in as I've had both. For me the I72 had a much better range than the Shadow. Basically the same top end which I would consider to be slightly overhead for both, much better bottom end which I would consider waist high and punchy for the I72. Not a true groveler so not quite the same low end as the gremlin, but pretty close. My biggest complaint about the Shadow was always the limited range, love the board when it works but not enough go in small waves and tops out earlier than most hpsbs. That could also be a reflection of the dims and construction I ordered (XTR PC and slightly thicker/wider than stock but not much).

As far as design goes, they are fairly different. The Shadow has a noticeable forward volume while the I72 has a more traditional foil. Shadow has a rounder outline in the front while the I72 has a more pointed/flippy nose. I72 has more rocker and a deep concave while the Shadow concave is mild/medium. Shadow paddles and catches waves better to me.

As far as how they surf... well, as documented I just could not keep that I72 water tight lmao. I did eventually fix the fin box and take it out a few more times but I was just really over it at that point. I had put a front pad on it because the wax kept melting off the black board but I sort of felt, idk, far away from the water? I think the board being thick in the center for it's volume + the front pad wasn't a good combo as the board was already at the high end of my liter range at >28L. It's still sitting on my rack and I should really sell it at some point. Despite the bad glass job I have thought about ordering another one with custom dims because it seems to work so well for so many people and I loved just having one board I could rely on for any reasonably rippable wave vs having to pick between my shadow and gremlin.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Sup duuus I've been absent from this place for a minute hope y'all are all well

I know you asked this a while back but I figured I'd throw my 2C in as I've had both. For me the I72 had a much better range than the Shadow. Basically the same top end which I would consider to be slightly overhead for both, much better bottom end which I would consider waist high and punchy for the I72.
I think you're not giving the shadow enough top end credit, it can handle as big as any other HPSB

have seen with my own two eyes someone charging 2-3x overhead bankvaults on a 6'0" after breaking a step up earlier in the session

personally I've ridden one in 2x overhead no problem in typical CA style surf

Ideally you'd have a Ghost an inch or two longer to ride in more powerful hollow surf

Reactions: kool-aid

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I think you're not giving the shadow enough top end credit, it can handle as big as any other HPSB

have seen with my own two eyes someone charging 2-3x overhead bankvaults on a 6'0" after breaking a step up earlier in the session

personally I've ridden one in 2x overhead surf no problem in typical CA style surf

Ideally you'd have a Ghost an inch or two longer to ride in more powerful hollow surf
Yeah, maybe! I've had the shadow out in some solid overhead hurricane surf out here and while I had no trouble catching and dropping in I felt like I was flying out of control and had trouble setting the rail. I do also have a ghost 1.5" longer and grab that in those situations if I have it with me. Maybe it's just a skill/confidence thing or maybe the dims/construction, like I said. I do know I've seen others with this complaint about this board.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah, maybe! I've had the shadow out in some solid overhead hurricane surf out here and while I had no trouble catching and dropping in I felt like I was flying out of control and had trouble setting the rail. I do also have a ghost 1.5" longer and grab that in those situations if I have it with me. Maybe it's just a skill/confidence thing or maybe the dims/construction, like I said. I do know I've seen others with this complaint about this board.
I have a Shadow and I agree with your take. In big juicy surf it starts to feel too fast. More upright, equal sized, stiff fins (JJF L) helped. I don't think the top end is vastly different from the i72 but the i72 has much better low end.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
5-11 stock disco cheater. Been wanting one and this blem popped up on the site. Tiniest under glass streak on the bottom that i wouldnt have noticed without the tape they used to mark it. One quick session in small dumpers and it felt very similar to the i72. Rails feel almost identical. Its not as chunky and wide as I was expecting. Definitely more of an HP thruster feeling hybrid as opposed to a fishy one.
20220607_095646.jpg20220607_095732.jpg

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
5-11 stock disco cheater. Been wanting one and this blem popped up on the site. Tiniest under glass streak on the bottom that i wouldnt have noticed without the tape they used to mark it. One quick session in small dumpers and it felt very similar to the i72. Rails feel almost identical. Its not as chunky and wide as I was expecting. Definitely more of an HP thruster feeling hybrid as opposed to a fishy one.
View attachment 131063View attachment 131064
nice shoes brah!

my buddy has a 5'8 roundtail disco cheater that he rides in everything, he loves it. his wife just got him a custom Maguro as a wedding present, he's stocked