Sharpeye Surfboards

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
been wanting to try one of these. how sensitive are sharpeye to getting dims right?

looks like a few otr dims at same length making me think pretty refined.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
been wanting to try one of these. how sensitive are sharpeye to getting dims right?

looks like a few otr dims at same length making me think pretty refined.
They are pretty slim I would recommend going a notch or two bigger in width and thickness. I've got a I72 thats something like 2.6 thick but feels similar if not thinner than 2.5 from other big name shapers.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I had a similar sensation. Instant ripping right off the bat. Really really like the board.

My only beef with this board is I feel like it paddles very poorly. I've never thought that Sharp Eye's were strong paddlers but this one takes the cake. The weird thing though is that it seems to catch waves pretty well.

Mine is the stock 5'10 x 19.25 x 2.62 at 29.9L, which at that volume, would already be on the small size for me but it feels like it paddles like a board that is 28 - 29L.

I like the shadow a lot but I find it's a board you have to be on pretty regularly to have a good time. I loved it when I rode it a lot. I'm not a huge fan when I just jump on it. It paddles way better than an Inferno 72 IMHO but in general, I still like the I72 more.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I had a similar sensation. Instant ripping right off the bat. Really really like the board.

My only beef with this board is I feel like it paddles very poorly. I've never thought that Sharp Eye's were strong paddlers but this one takes the cake. The weird thing though is that it seems to catch waves pretty well.

Mine is the stock 5'10 x 19.25 x 2.62 at 29.9L, which at that volume, would already be on the small size for me but it feels like it paddles like a board that is 28 - 29L.

I like the shadow a lot but I find it's a board you have to be on pretty regularly to have a good time. I loved it when I rode it a lot. I'm not a huge fan when I just jump on it. It paddles way better than an Inferno 72 IMHO but in general, I still like the I72 more.
I don't think I share the opinion of it paddling poorly, but I guess that's subjective. It's the same or better than my 5'7" Rusty SD, and better than my 5'3" album Twinsman, as a couple random points of reference.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
So I actually got curious:

13,500 lb displacement ≈ 6400L of seawater

Assuming actual volume of the vessel is ≈ 4x the displacement, she's a hefty craft at ≈ 25,600L

check my math.

I'm no math guy, but I thought you get to litres by the age old equation of length x width x thicc??

Either way, at 25,600L idk how youre sinking your rails dude. Would not bang

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Definitely found the low end of the inferno yesterday. Pretty hard work at sloppy thigh-high. Should have been on something else, for sure.

Reactions: Aruka and sdsrfr

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Strangely enough, my son has had at least 25 Sharpeye boards in recent years and the Inferno72 is one of only two that he didn't like. Looks like he's dragging an anchor compared to the HT2, SB1, Disco, Disco Cheater, Disco Tech, 77 and HT2.5 models.
The Game Changer was the only other model that did not work at all for him. Far and away the SB1 and HT2 are the best boards under his feet day to day and the 77 when its firing.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Strangely enough, my son has had at least 25 Sharpeye boards in recent years and the Inferno72 is one of only two that he didn't like. Looks like he's dragging an anchor compared to the HT2, SB1, Disco, Disco Cheater, Disco Tech, 77 and HT2.5 models.
The Game Changer was the only other model that did not work at all for him. Far and away the SB1 and HT2 are the best boards under his feet day to day and the 77 when its firing.
Good intel. I'm really looking forward to trying more models... If this is his worst board, dang.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I want to give one a go. My local shop, E.T. Surf, starting carrying them (and surprisingly stopped carrying JS Industries). The initial under the arm test on an I72 and a Storms in my size was underwhelming, but a local ripper who has been on CI's for the last few decades was noticeably surfing better on his Storms last winter and said it was his favorite board in a long time. His was too small for me to give it a go. I'll hope for some demos available soon.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Good intel. I'm really looking forward to trying more models... If this is his worst board, dang.
Everybody is different. My son surfs at a pretty high level and surfs best on boards that average Joe is probably going to struggle with. The Game Changer for whatever reason was the worst model for my son. The Inferno72 didn't work for my son but might be great for you. It sure got good reviews. As much as anything the Inferno72 was a let down because of the reviews as it was nowhere as good for him as an HT2, SB1 and other SharpEyes he loves. He noticeably has a harder time generating speed and catches edges in turns kind of forcing him to two-stage a turn or maneuver as it throws his rhythm. I can really see it in his surfing when a board won't do what he wants it to do very similar to some of the boards in the Stab High videos where you can see a particular board doesn't work for the rider.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Extra tail rocker + concave surface does not plane well = less support requiring to be more forward sometimes leading to catching rails
Don't think that's it. The 72 is less performancy than the boards he likes. Its almost a bit of a groveler by comparison and is nearly half an inch wider. The 72 is almost a liter more in volume which if anything I would think would be a benefit. The 72 does have a lot of concave but so does every board in his quiver. The 72 has more foam out at the rails and the rails from the hips forward are a bit softer. Can't put a finger on it cause to pick up the board you'd think it would work for him.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
My B:S hunch this B

++(Width+volume+rail thickness) +/- centerline + GG (possibly - extra tr + where rockers begin) : Proclivity + preference + acumen

+/- B >> S++

S need slow feel more glide use momentum engage rail but S want fast inst due use narrow thin more while +V+?:B has S forward on B (as GG)

S need weigh + <> - of B if + then change approach but know too much new B make old B - likely

Shorter B may more natural. If S growing then has change but easier norm bigger old B.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
My B:S hunch this B

++(Width+volume+rail thickness) +/- centerline + GG (possibly - extra tr + where rockers begin) : Proclivity + preference + acumen

+/- B >> S++

S need slow feel more glide use momentum engage rail but S want fast inst due use narrow thin more while +V+?:B has S forward on B (as GG)

S need weigh + <> - of B if + then change approach but know too much new B make old B - likely

Shorter B may more natural. If S growing then has change but easier norm bigger old B.
I need a decoder ring.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Extra tail rocker + concave surface does not plane well = less support requiring to be more forward sometimes leading to catching rails

Does not get more simple than that
S like concave Bs (marketing some say), + wide + thick are in play as well (I think those less to rail catching more to staged turns)

not as fun

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MrSteve