Sharks and foilers

Apr 4, 2020
I lurk over at the SeaBreeze foil forum and they had the story of a SUP foiler doing a downwinder getting killed by tiger shark. The link is French, but I was able to use Google translate to translate the story. Someone in the report is assuming the humming of the foil attracted the shark.

In the past 3 weeks, I've had 2 x 2nd hand reports of a 5' shark swimming by foilers at San O (Nukes and Dog Patch). 1x1st hand account of seeing a shark breach outside the surf line at Old Man's. 1x1st hand account of a 5' shark at Dog Patch swimming by a foiler who pointed out the shark to me; I saw a ripple, but couldn't verify it was a shark. We both paddled in on that incident since it was sunset.

It's probably a good assumption that the San O shark is a juvenile great white.

Luckily, I've never heard my Kujira 980 humming. If you hear your wing humming, you might want to check this video out (also from lurking SeaBreeze),

Reactions: surfdad

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I saw that too. Several guys are going to try downwinder's today. I hope they don't get online. It's freaky when you're super far out there on a prone board.

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
I was at San O yesterday and no sightings by me but yikes. I was out with one other guy. Given the attack that happened up the beach at church awhile ago I always think of sharks when at San O but its such a fun spot to foil I keep going back haha. I wont tell my girlfriend about it though hahaha

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Spring time around Sano is when we frequently get the sightings. quite a few of the sup foilers have seen them recently. heard there was an interaction / bump at lowers today.

Apr 4, 2020
Spring time around Sano is when we frequently get the sightings. quite a few of the sup foilers have seen them recently. heard there was an interaction / bump at lowers today.
San O has been a shark hot spot since before foilers came onto the scene, https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-no-shark-folo-two-20170501-story.html

Maybe the San O shark got bored with foilers and has moved on to harass the shortboarders?

With all the stories about people getting cut with their sharp Kujira foils, I was debating about dulling my Kujira 980. But now, with the shark activity, I plan on leaving my Kujira with stock sharpness since I haven't heard any humming. I might revisit this when I get good enough to start hitting the white water.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Shark Bite Incident Forces Closure of Kanahā Beach Park Until Noon on Sunday | Maui Now

The report stated that it happened on a "Kite foil" which is a different contraption, but still a "foil".

I think the kite foilers might be going a bit faster than other foils depending on the kite size and wind speed.

So the "humming" sound and vibrations might be different.

It has yet to be seen how much sharks are affected by foils and the sound they produce underwater.

Sharks might be attracted to the sounds foils make. This is not the first time something like this has happened.

As a general rule it is best to keep very, very quiet, when around such large fish as to not attract their attention....

...I am goingoutside now....

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I lurk over at the SeaBreeze foil forum and they had the story of a SUP foiler doing a downwinder getting killed by tiger shark. The link is French, but I was able to use Google translate to translate the story. Someone in the report is assuming the humming of the foil attracted the shark.

In the past 3 weeks, I've had 2 x 2nd hand reports of a 5' shark swimming by foilers at San O (Nukes and Dog Patch). 1x1st hand account of seeing a shark breach outside the surf line at Old Man's. 1x1st hand account of a 5' shark at Dog Patch swimming by a foiler who pointed out the shark to me; I saw a ripple, but couldn't verify it was a shark. We both paddled in on that incident since it was sunset.

It's probably a good assumption that the San O shark is a juvenile great white.

Luckily, I've never heard my Kujira 980 humming. If you hear your wing humming, you might want to check this video out (also from lurking SeaBreeze),

salmon shark

Feb 10, 2019
I massively dulled down my kujira wingtips and detuned the trailing edge - no increase in sound that I can hear. So sand away with it.

Interestingly, about a month ago, I hit a seal swimming along underwater while riding a wave - I saw it swim in front of me and then I went flying as if I hit bottom. Freak accident that happened so fast I'm sure for both of us. I take this incident as evidence that the foil isn't making a noise that the seal could figure out. This was post kujira detune. Do sharks have similar hearing to a seal?