Shark Attack - Marin County

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Usually people entering/exiting channels in small craft have better things to do than chuck scraps overboard.

In any case, I once "saved" a kid in the channel there on outgoing tide. Body board with no flippers, just heading out the sea....

Made me wonder how often that happens, clueless people at estuary mouths on outgoing tides, going for a moon-fueled ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'm going to ask a stupid question. Do longboarders ever get hit? Seems like it's always short boarders or spongers. I have read that sharks size up their pray carefully. Attacking something larger is risky. I have no idea, but it seems like all the photos I have seen of munched boards, it's always small boards?

Are you safer on your 12 foot glider than you are on your 4'10" kneeboard?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I've seen photos of attacks on boats, so yeah. I believe there are crazy animals just like there are crazy people. But if you google an image search of "shark attack surfboards" and look at the non fakes, they're pretty much all shortboards. On a longer board, obviously you have a better chance of survival because your meat is covering less of the surfboard and there is a chance the bite will take place where your body isn't. Whatever. Just wondering.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm going to ask a stupid question. Do longboarders ever get hit? Seems like it's always short boarders or spongers. I have read that sharks size up their pray carefully. Attacking something larger is risky. I have no idea, but it seems like all the photos I have seen of munched boards, it's always small boards?

Are you safer on your 12 foot glider than you are on your 4'10" kneeboard?
Depends on the species, imo. Bull sharks are like the pitbulls of the genus mindlessly attacking everything in sight.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've seen photos of attacks on boats, so yeah. I believe there are crazy animals just like there are crazy people. But if you google an image search of "shark attack surfboards" and look at the non fakes, they're pretty much all shortboards. On a longer board, obviously you have a better chance of survival because your meat is covering less of the surfboard and there is a chance the bite will take place where your body isn't. Whatever. Just wondering.
Roy Stuart may be ahead of his time on this.

For both the board and the wetsuit.

We also know he can outrun the shark based on GPS.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
lifeguard was in the lot getting ready to paddle out for a "training" surf as i was coming in around midday today. no one else out

asked how it was.

told him- fun. feels like october finally

he responded. yeah. right on. im packing my tourniquet

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
There's a channel between Stinson and Bolinas to the north that goes into a bay. The seals come into the bay and beach themselves then head back out. The sharks hang around the mouth of the bay to pick off the seals.

pretty much nails it

lots off seals in the channel and that whole stretch of the coast

As for the fishermen. its true, I use to fish that stretch daily in the summers as a kid and well into college,

exit the channel and straight to trolling or jigging for salmon and halibut. easy to clean fish and dump the guts overboar while trolling. Sometime the salmon will come in close to shore when the tide line is just outside the sandbars. more boats more chum close to shore.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Had similar thoughts when I was on a tiny fish at a place with heavy sharks vibes and all my friends were on longboards

“ anyone want to try this fish?” :roflmao:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I always thought the southern end of the Triangle was point conception. As far as I am concerned it is.

After college my then girlfriend got a job in SLO. I spent a year up in that area trying to maintain a surfing habit. It wasn't easy. More than once I wound up surfing good waves at Killers alone. And I got out of the water because I couldn't take the vibe. Kelp bulbs popping up, every time my hand hit something, I'm jerking it back terrified... no fun. I've always listened to that little warning vibe thing. Been chased out of the water three times off Channel Islands.
I was surfing in BIg Sur once when something hit the bottom of my board, hard, and scared the bejeesus out of me. Turns out it was a ball of bull kelp.

Another time I was surfing Leo Carillo. I was sitting inside, close to the submerged rock just off the main clump, when I felt the water swirl in a weird way. My first thought was "shark." Then I looked down and saw the biggest ray ever pass right under me. 6 foot + wingspan. Emotions went from fear to fascination in a heartbeat.

• Wow
Reactions: hugh shackman
Jul 8, 2008
Surflie had video of the man in the gray suit breaching outside the break at OB a few years back. Pretty surreal as there was a pack of guys inside and it seemed that none of them even noticed.

I've never thought of OB as sharky. Perhaps my own suspension of disblief, but there aren't that many seals out there, at least no rookeries. If I were a shark there'd be much better hunting in lots of spots other than OB. Moreover at Ocean Beach there are far more things to be concerned about than sharks when you paddle out.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Surflie had video of the man in the gray suit breaching outside the break at OB a few years back. Pretty surreal as there was a pack of guys inside and it seemed that none of them even noticed.

I've never thought of OB as sharky. Perhaps my own suspension of disblief, but there aren't that many seals out there, at least no rookeries. If I were a shark there'd be much better hunting in lots of spots other than OB. Moreover at Ocean Beach there are far more things to be concerned about than sharks when you paddle out.
OBSF fun in so many ways