Shaping video

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Some of the best planer work you will ever see. Really like the patterns he makes with the planer working from one side of the board. He's using an un-modified Hitachi P20. At least the depth adjustment is stock. Shows that a good shaper can work with any planer so long as the blades are razor sharp.

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
Amazing how little he takes off when he wants to. Digging the working from one side and just flipping the blank.

What is that divot on the deck in the tail for?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Amazing how little he takes off when he wants to. Digging the working from one side and just flipping the blank.

What is that divot on the deck in the tail for?
you think it's volume reduction so the tail doesn't look think as a brick?

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
I was thinking more of a water flow over the top thing. Thinner in the middle doesn't look like a brick though.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I was thinking more of a water flow over the top thing. Thinner in the middle doesn't look like a brick though.
Maybe so
I like low rocker boards(tail 2" and under) but due to age and physical condition they are a bit more voluminous than standard,
which can be challenging to keep deck rocker from "dipping" in the last foot or so if I don't keeps some thickness in the tail block :shaka:

Jun 5, 2020
I don't post much, but this is the best sh!t that has ever been posted on this friggen forum. Good stuff Greg. Great stuff Nev. As a small time Aussie shaper, this sh!t is gold.

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
Maybe so
I like low rocker boards(tail 2" and under) but due to age and physical condition they are a bit more voluminous than standard,
which can be challenging to keep deck rocker from "dipping" in the last foot or so if I don't keeps some thickness in the tail block :shaka:
Embrace the S deck

• Haha
Reactions: need 4 speed

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
A mutual friend :)

He used to take 2 rocker passes from the tail full cut to 0 up to 1/3 from the nose creating the same effect Nev was doing with his not so adjustable depth planer in this video - that made me smile
Nev's planer looks like 3 or 4 revolutions for full adjustment. I get 1/2 a turn with mine, ugh.

I also liked the way he just manhandles the blanks, not worrying about dents.

Anybody else notice the two other blanks were stringerless?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Loved that. Worth every minute of watching. Had a 6'3" x 19" 4-belly channel board from Nev back in the late 80's. Loved that board. Snapped it after 3-4 years of love.