Shaping fun

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I made five boards. This was like 10-12 years ago. My step dad always shaped his own boards as I was growing up and he gave me all of his old tools to use. He gave me a couple tips but that was about it.

I really enjoyed shaping. Glassing was less fun. Sanding, ugh. The first board I made was a 6-0 that I shaped out of a broken longboard. It was ugly but not completely useless in small waves. I think I botched the fin placement somehow and the fusion boxes ended up set inwards from the rail further than I'd intended (I flipped the jig or something?). So, yeah, not the best board I've ridden but still pretty rad to ride something I'd shaped.

The 2nd board I made, a round pin quad, was really fun. I rode it a lot and I must have surfed it okay because a few friends pestered me to make them boards after that. I said, what the hell dudes, I'm not a shaper. But I did shape one for my best bud and he loved it. I think the template was something off of an early 2000's JS but I widened the nose a bit. My friend surfed it all winter and then took it to indo and busted it at lakey peak. He still talks about that board sometimes but I think he romanticizes it as is his tendency to do about anything related to surfing.

The 4th and 5th boards came out looking better than the previous ones but they didn't surf very well and I couldn't figure out why. 4 was a basic bitch squash tail thruster and I think I'd thinned it out too much. 5 was a longer swallow tail and it was so stiff. had a few fun sessions in tubing waves but never could get it to turn like I wanted. I don't think I gave much though to fins. I probably had one or two sets and no clue what size or template they were.

After building those boards I definitely had a new appreciation for how much skill and work goes into a well constructed surfboard. Doing the math on what it cost me in materials and how many hours of work was involved to build a board made a custom seem like a total bargain. Still, there is definitely something special about riding waves on something you built with your own hands and I would like to make a few more at some point.

I definitely recommend anyone who has the inclination to try shaping to do so.
If you enjoy the process and it's not "work," making your own boards beats paying others to make them for you. That's my case. If, or rather when, I am no longer able to surf, I think I will still make boards. My marketing plan is probably not a good one though- I keep the ones that go and sell the duds.:poke:

Pretty sure 1/2 the timber boards I make and sell are bought for wall hangers. When selling a paulownia bonzer I made, an African American woman in heels pulls up in a late model Mercedes. I start explaining about the bonzer fin set up... but I realized right away she's not interested.

Epoxy makes board building easier. The ability to sand the laminate, laps lines, etc, without gumming up sand paper is heaven...

Bud

Nep status
Apr 20, 2001
Oahu
www.808surfer.com
Cutting out and fairing a new hardboard template 30 minutes... an afternoon to shape, 1.5 days to glass and fin set (the colorwork added good part of a day), sanding one afternoon. Voila, a new backyard board ready to surf easy peasy :p

5'4 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 PUPE finished weight 5lbs 1oz sans fins

2107165-21.jpg2107165-16.jpg2107165-07.jpg2107165.21.jpg2107165.22.jpg

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Cutting out and fairing a new hardboard template 30 minutes... an afternoon to shape, 1.5 days to glass and fin set (the colorwork added good part of a day), sanding one afternoon. Voila, a new backyard board ready to surf easy peasy :p
That's really quick, considering the shape and colour (y) I wouldn't say easy peasy though! MEKP or suncure?

Bud

Nep status
Apr 20, 2001
Oahu
www.808surfer.com
rad shape.
how does it go?

thanks haven't ridden it yet

That's really quick, considering the shape and colour
yeah sorry I was trying to be funny - a bit disingenuous ... to lam/grind/fin/hotcoat meaning around 24 hours ..... If I had a whole day it can be done, but it's really 3 hours here, 4 hours there, etc. usually spread over the course of a week
MEKP or suncure?
Both, I fully catalyze all my UV cure batches (w/pigment you have to cat). Catalyzed PE lams/hotcoats gel after about 15 minutes, I usually wait about 45 minutes they're pretty hard then I set it in the sun to finish. Then I can sand/grind right away and there's no sticky resin drippings on the floor

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

5'4 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 PUPE finished weight 5lbs 1oz sans fins

View attachment 113570View attachment 113569View attachment 113571View attachment 113572View attachment 113573
Beautiful work Bud!

I feel like you haven't posted one of your self shapes in quite some time.......unless I missed them. Your work looks top notch!

How's that deep tail channel feel? Looks like a really fun shape to me!

Bud

Nep status
Apr 20, 2001
Oahu
www.808surfer.com
@Bud Did you make the fins(they look custom tab) ?
Nah they're off the shelf FCSII Power Twin. Pretty close to what I look for, nicely foiled too. Not real confident on these boxes staying put though. Even with patches over them the small footprint and big stiff fins putting a lot of torque

Beautiful work Bud!

I feel like you haven't posted one of your self shapes in quite some time.......unless I missed them. Your work looks top notch!

How's that deep tail channel feel? Looks like a really fun shape to me!
Thanks! This one is a departure from my usual twinnie bottom and outline. Looking forward to riding it but want to wait for some overhead clean open faces

Reactions: teeroi and jkb