Shaping fun

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I was just talking about this with Ace this weekend at sidestreet who was in town visiting his daughter.
How it's so easy for backyarders to get caught up in this stuff.
making your own to learn how difficult it is is one thing, making for others with it not being your occupation/trade craft is another.
pros do hundreds if not thousands before feeling like they know what they are doing
a backyarder does a couple, and suddenly feels like he's in the same ballpark
ego is a powerful beast to manage

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I picked up that very board off Craigs 3 years ago. Not sure how it made its way to NJ. Flipped it to fund my next custom. Felt like an decent shape. Not bad for a 'backyard shaper'.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
he surfed it exactly how I expected it.

healthy lungs/hearing are overrated. especially for babies. their lungs are impervious and aren't susceptible to anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr J and jkb

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If you want to shape and glass something, build a dinghy or a canoe. Leave the surfboards to the pros unless you're trying to be a pro.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I get the animosity towards backyarders posting vids etc on social media & particularly towards IG insta shapers, n kooks not using proper safety equipment.

That being said - fck that attitude. Someone wants to make a board - make a board.

& There‘s plenty of pros putting out inferior boards compared to a good backyarder. I’ve felt up WAY too many pro made boards and seen pro shaped blanks in glass shop that are fit for the recycling bin.

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Years ago I broke a good board and tried to duplicate it. Let's just say I rode it one time and then threw it in the trash can. Spent around 200 for tools and materials and realized just spend an extra 100 from my shaper. I miss 2000 prices. Haha

Reactions: PRCD

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
… and I know amateur mechanics, machinist, carpenters, etc that are exceptionally skilled - more so than many ”pros”/people that do it for a living.

really surprised at some of the responses here… guess I shouldn’t be.

Reactions: MrSteve

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I get the animosity towards backyarders posting vids etc on social media & particularly towards IG insta shapers, n kooks not using proper safety equipment.

That being said - fck that attitude. Someone wants to make a board - make a board.

& There‘s plenty of pros putting out inferior boards compared to a good backyarder. I’ve felt up WAY too many pro CAD machine made boards and seen pro CI machine shaped blanks in glass shop that are fit for the recycling bin.