Shapers who make foil boards.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I am on the DIY board program, Kook Shaper. Always wanted to shape a surfboard, but was too intimidated to try. Foil boards have been a good intro because I believe the hydrodynamics are mostly irrelevant, you're pretty much designing a platform. Especially for kiting. I am now on board #10: #1 supfoil (6' puke barge), #2 surf foil 5' (chunky yellow), #3 mini kite foil (3'6" micro dwarfcraft copy), #4 larger kite foil (4' crab), #5 first surfboard (copy of takayama scorpion), #6 surf foil (copy of armstrong 4.11), #7 surf foil (halibut, a little more volume and nose rocker), #8 kite board (5'4" phoenix), #9 kite foil (another 4', in the painting bay), #10 first longboard (9', copy of walden magic model, sanding bay).

First ones were probably as expensive as buying used ... though no used foilboards were available at the time, especially up in the Vancouver Island Canada hinterland. Getting tooled up also a little $$, but once set up, you can knock out an epoxy/eps board for $200ish, cheaper if pu/poly. Most expensive part is the boxes, especially if you prefer chinook. My last few boards have been recycles, skinning and reshaping older surfboards. Or broken blanks that are no longer big enough for surfboard.

It is painful learning from all the mistakes, but you do get better at it. It is fun to play around with design features, see what differences they make. And REALLY stoking to ride a board you made! Though you do end up with a bunch of boards, can't sell them, pretty much giveaways or trades to buddies at best. :)

Also, it is messy as heck, filthy dust, smelly chemicals, need to have somewhere to do it. My wife is an artist, has become keen on painting my boards, so she doesn't complain as much about me creating new "canvases" LOL.

A selection of creations....oh yeah, and much the same tools and processes for making wings too!

98166113_10157042349796611_4146040142529822720_o.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
May 15, 2017
custom shaped by Chris Bauer @bauer_surfboards_usa
1/8 soft (vinyl like) wrap laminated on the whole board
Cush tech skin
EPS and basalt inside
Memory foam rails 2" thick

Electron (bigger version)
4.8 x 21 x 2.75 with an ironwood arch bar spine you can screw things into if you want
The ironwood, and the skin over it, won't absorb any water
Foil tracks in a PVC block

Attachments

Reactions: grendel95

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
been following Titus, Terry Chung and Rick Holt's(handshaper) instagrams

Mar 22, 2020
I'm not a shaper but I've been designing foil boards working with Brawner surfboard from San Clemente which has a good glassing carbon experience.
Now back to France I keep desiging board for Brawner and I also do it as well in France working with a really experienced carbon glassing guy.
I starded to do it because at this time (2 years ago) I couldn't find what I wanted in the market, I didn't want to get a made in China board anymore (it was a Takuma which was actually good but heavy) and it was just the beginning of Freedom, KT, ...
Now I stoked on how perform my equipement, foil board is a way more important than some people think.

Attachments

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I'm not a shaper but I've been designing foil boards working with Brawner surfboard from San Clemente which has a good glassing carbon experience.
Now back to France I keep desiging board for Brawner and I also do it as well in France working with a really experienced carbon glassing guy.
I starded to do it because at this time (2 years ago) I couldn't find what I wanted in the market, I didn't want to get a made in China board anymore (it was a Takuma which was actually good but heavy) and it was just the beginning of Freedom, KT, ...
Now I stoked on how perform my equipement, foil board is a way more important than some people think.
Foil boards should be $200 max. They don't need to have much of a shape and they don't need any carbon fiber. Foil surfing is even more wack than SUPing, so at least it should be cheap. A sport with equipment costing $2000 will just make it so that the particiants are Jewish loan-sharks in tropical exile.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
It can also be trust fund kids in Malibu and PV who want to keep the waves private so no one else can access them. Don't forget about that group.

Reactions: ghostshaper
Mar 22, 2020
Foil boards should be $200 max. They don't need to have much of a shape and they don't need any carbon fiber. Foil surfing is even more wack than SUPing, so at least it should be cheap. A sport with equipment costing $2000 will just make it so that the particiants are Jewish loan-sharks in tropical exile.
I don't agree, carbon board if it is well done which means you need an experienced glass job will make a difference.
Because it will be lighter/stiffer with a better connection foil/board/rider.
Also if you want to get a good shape, you need to try many designs so a proper R&D is important.

So yes you can mount your foil on any anything but I can tell you the board matters a lot. And believe me I tried may things under my feet.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
What's your review of the LoL Takuma foils Frenchfoiler? Loving the Axis setup you recommended. I think there might be a demo 760 wing floating around LA I'm going to try to get my hands on if we ever get waves again.

I saw the Lift HA wing the other day. Sort of glad I didn't go that route. Mast flex is real.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
They replied to me as of a few months ago, they still have boards in Huntington beach surf shops too I think. But, I'd say no, the Hurley brothers have more pressing matters at the moment. I guess transitioning from one of the big players in surf to a foil company didn't seem like the wise move to them. :)