SF - ideas on where to live?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
In my experience, crowds are a little lighter. But i've never had a problem finding a relatively empty peak on a weekday afternoon in winter when its 6+ feet. I checked Taraval today at around 3:30 and there were two guys out, light onshores, and solid 8-10 foot sets rolling through. I thought, ahhhh... that's why I love this place. See you tomorrow, OB. XOXO

I've typically had similar experiences.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
When I was a kid growing up HWY 17 on the San Jose/Los Gatos side used to be a three lane HWY. The middle lane was for passing, in both directions. They called that stretch "Blood Alley". No barriers between oncoming lanes at all. It was a truly scary road to drive at night.

That's heavy.

I crashed my prius several years ago on an early morning trip from SJ to SC.

I was driving solo, fast, but not what I'd call dangerous, on the descent heading into SC just after the ridge. The first light rain of the fall season started overnight - just enough to loosen debris and grime, but not enough to flush it away. On the third or so turn, I went into the turn and felt the tires loose traction. I started to feel the rear end slowly swing around while i skimmed toward the center divide. I was afraid to over correct and flip, so I tried to steer into it. The front end clipped the divider, spun my 180 degrees and I hit a retaining wall on the shoulder of the mountain with my driver side rear quarter panel before the driver side slammed full force into the wall. I ended up facing the wrong way, watching headlights come toward me.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
San Francisco is a dead dog. It was cool in the 80s/90s when it was a magnet for the weirdos and artists and punkers who were "too lazy for LA" or whatever, think Starcleaners and The Naked Cult of Hickey. Now it's paradise for bums & billionaires. Cops will step over a pile of 69ing bums with needles hanging out of their asses to issue a chcken sh!t parking or jaywalking ticket. It's an outdoor insane asylum complete with human poo-poo on the streets that everyone ignores on their way to get a 12 dollar 8 oz craft beer. Then you get to drown at OB. I don't go there very much anymore.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
In my experience, crowds are a little lighter. But i've never had a problem finding a relatively empty peak on a weekday afternoon in winter when its 6+ feet. I checked Taraval today at around 3:30 and there were two guys out, light onshores, and solid 8-10 foot sets rolling through. I thought, ahhhh... that's why I love this place. See you tomorrow, OB. XOXO
Basically surfed by myself at Lawton yesterday morning. Seems as if there's only 4-5 guys to a peak at the start before a few of them let the current take them. Next week looking good!

Reactions: bluengreen

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
San Francisco is a dead dog. It was cool in the 80s/90s when it was a magnet for the weirdos and artists and punkers who were "too lazy for LA" or whatever, think Starcleaners and The Naked Cult of Hickey. Now it's paradise for bums & billionaires. Cops will step over a pile of 69ing bums with needles hanging out of their asses to issue a chcken sh!t parking or jaywalking ticket. It's an outdoor insane asylum complete with human poo-poo on the streets that everyone ignores on their way to get a 12 dollar 8 oz craft beer. Then you get to drown at OB. I don't go there very much anymore.

Basically, THIS ^^^^^

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Basically, THIS ^^^^^
Dude once a year I end up in the City and it is miserable. My wife loves the place, I keep asking her if she notices the turds and hypodermic needles on the ground. This makes me a jerk. I'm missing out on culture and museums and such. I can't navigate these streets, what a freak show. Humans being gross humans. You can keep your deadly sandbars OB. But I like nostalgia:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Nostalgia is all The City holds for me anymore as well.

Still capitalize it out of respect for said Nostalgia.

Hurts to know all the old haunts have been shut down long ago. There's still a few
I still have love for SF and the Bay Area. So many good memories there. It's no worse than LA, Portland or Seattle.
Exactly the point, it used to be incomparably better than all those tied together.

The 60's, 70's, 80's and even 90's were a great time to be had in The City.

Now? I fear not so much in comparison.

How soon will I again, or anyone for that matter, have Greg Allman and Warren Haynes getting drunk and baked after a show at the Cow Palace, playing acoustic guitar together and singing until sunrise in a living room full of 15-20 wasted costumed halloween revellers? (Only masks, those for costume purposes)

Yeah. Nostalgia is about it for me when The City is concerned.

Reactions: grapedrink

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Several couples I know specifically lived here to enjoy the music scene. They left saying there is nothing left of it a year ago. The art scene died long ago. The food was going strong and expensive but ...
At least the surf is never crowded and perpetually perfect as well. I only stay for the donuts.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Is the burger joint out in the Avenues on the Richmond side still there? They used to hang a side of beef in the kitchen and cut and grind fresh off that. They named the burgers for famed celebrities. Used to be partial to the Letterman with the chocolate ice cream and peanut butter milk shakes myself.

Also the old seafood place a bit closer to the beach on the same side of the park?

Talk about good eats!

Mmmmm'kay!

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Is the burger joint out in the Avenues on the Richmond side still there? They used to hang a side of beef in the kitchen and cut and grind fresh off that. They named the burgers for famed celebrities. Used to be partial to the Letterman with the chocolate ice cream and peanut butter milk shakes myself.

Also the old seafood place a bit closer to the beach on the same side of the park?

Talk about good eats!

Mmmmm'kay!
Done.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
As a kid.

The utmost of San Francisco, back in the 60's. We would take the Del Monte Express. Southern Pacific from Monterey/Watsonville to San Francisco. From the station to the Clift Hotel. Wintertime. Down Greary st. to Union Square.

I Magnin. City of Paris, FAO Schwartz... The Iron Horse with my grandpa...