SF - ideas on where to live?

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Hi all,

Got offered a job in SF proper and had a few questions. Salary should be enough to live in the city.

What would be the best areas to live if you wanted to surf fairly consistently? I've done a bit of research and was looking at Inner Sunset or Haight -Ashbury as possibly decent places to live as they're close enough to the beach (I have a car) and close enough to transit to work (which is in the financial district).

The company also offered the possibility of working out of their San Jose office, but I'm not sure if its better surf wise and doesn't offer some of the benefits id get city wise (Im still under 30)

Anything else I should know about surfing in the Bay Area? I grew up surfing in Canada so it will actually be a lot warmer water than what I'm used to, but I assume my current quiver of boards is fairly useless for OB? (~30L shortboards from 5'10-6'3)

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
I recommend Inner Richmond. Beware of OB. Scary place. Surf Linda Mar first, friendly introduction. Drive down to Santa Cruz sometime. Enjoy the waves & drive.

Reactions: CJSB

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I recommend Inner Richmond. Beware of OB. Scary place. Surf Linda Mar first, friendly introduction. Drive down to Santa Cruz sometime. Enjoy the waves & drive.
Hi OB, thanks for the input. Yea OB looks scary as sh!t to me. I don't normally surf heavy beachies, all the spots up here are points but would be willing to give it a go when its a manageable size.

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
3k might get you a studio without a parking spot! Better start looking in Oakland, you might be able to rent a room with that budget in SF! 3k a month is a decent rental budget for Orange County but not SF that places is crazy expensive! California isn't playing when it comes to money, the richest people from everywhere live in California!

Last edited:
Reactions: One-Off

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Maybe Daly City is cheaper? Really it depends where in the city proper you’ll be working. I really wouldn’t prioritize surfing living in SF, most of the time conditions are sh!t.

Reactions: FARTHAMMER

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
you can find something for 2-3k if you are persistent.
lots of guys ride small boards
if you are expecting consistent surf you will be disappointed. Better to live closer to SC.

Reactions: Ifallalot
Jul 8, 2008
Just about anywhere in the city gets you pretty easy access to OB. I lived in Cole Valley for a number of years and it was a 10 min drive early Sat and Sun morning. Sunset and Richmond are closer but early enough you can get to OB from any neighborhood. Guessing your job precludes dawn patrol on weekdays so that's probably not a discussion point. San Jose gets you much closer to Santa Cruz and better conditions in general. Just worse conditions for everything else compared to SF.

From someone who moved to the east bay, abandon all hope if you go this route. Weekends are still fine but weekdays are...difficult.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Outer Sunset, near Judah or Taraval to take the trains in. Surf before work, head to FiDi. Easy.