SF/Beer/Wine Country Trip

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
I'm looking into booking a last minute trip to SF next week from Friday - Tuesday. My wife travels there for work frequently so we are all set with where to stay in the city Friday and Monday. She likes wine and I like beer so the plan is to head north for Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we would do wineries and Sunday would be all hops. I would like to hit up Russian River, Bear Republic and Lagunitas. I need some help on where to start off with the wineries and then where to stay given it's going to be a 2 night minimum and I want to do the 3 breweries Sunday. I know it's a lot to cram into just 2 days, but that's all we have. Any recommendations on how to pull this off would be great.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
There better be a sober driver involved :cussing:

If you are coming from Napa I'd plan to hit highway 12 over to Petaluma then work your way north. Lagunitas, then Russian River and finish off in Healdsburg. By now you will be HAMMERED so stay here http://www.h2hotel.com which is stumbling distance to Bear Republic :cheers:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What kind of wine does your wife like? Pick a single region that fits your tastes (Russian River, Dry Creek, Sonoma Valley, Alexander Valley, etc) and stick to it. After 2-3 wineries you're wife will be hammered and your pallet will be shot :beer: :drunk: :dancing: Don't be afraid to share a tasting or pour.

For wine tasting, Russian River is pretty one note- mostly Pinot and Chardonnay with a bit of zin and syrah mixed in. Most of the cult, high-end producers that make that area famous are too cool to have a tasting room. Merry Edwards is worth a visit if you are a pinot-phile, Joseph Swan if you want something more rustic and historic.

For cabs Alexander Valley is good value, Robert Young and Stryker are top-notch.

Agree with Janitors suggestions- park at the hotel before hitting Bear Republic :drunk:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
True!

I think grapedrink has a great point regarding palate/region. From your description it sounds like you know which beers you want, but maybe for wine you're not set :shrug: if so I'd say skip Napa and Sonoma. Hit Lagunitas and Russian River on the way to Healdsburg. There are several tasting rooms walking distance from the H2 so you could finish the day off with wine. And now Bear republic is within range as well..

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The wife has been looking into accommodations and it's looking pretty tight everywhere, which isn't a surprise. The Healdsburg area sounds perfect, but it looks like everything is booked around there. The h2 Hotel that was recommended by a few people is booked. We do have points we can use and stay in Santa Rosa at the Hilton. This seems like the best option at this point from what she is saying. That would be fine with me since RR brewery is in Santa Rosa and I know she likes some Chardonnays from that area too. What's the deal with Santa Rosa - good/bad? Anyone ever stay at the Hilton there?

punkrokvixen

Michael Peterson status
Mar 27, 2003
SF-ish
I hope this weather holds out for you guys, it was still in the 70's when I was getting out of the water at 7:45pm last night. Have a killer boozey trip!

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Is that Memorial Day weekend? It might be a little intense up there. I agree that Russian River / Dry Creek will give you what you're after. At least you'll feel like you're in the wine country and not some bizarro Disneyland. A few winery suggestions - Woodenhead, Porter Creek, Papapietro Perry, Ridge, Rafanelli. For food try Willies in Healdsburg and/or Willies Wine Bar in Santa Rosa. I usually like to hit one or two wineries then kick back over a really long lunch at Willies in Healdsburg. If you guys want to picnic, buy a bottle of Pinot at Papapietro Perry and take over their bocce court in the vineyard.

Look for winery and special event info at Wineroad.com.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
easternlines said:
What's the deal with Santa Rosa - good/bad? Anyone ever stay at the Hilton there?
Do not stay in Santa Rosa. Find some place in or near Healdsburg, it is a much better vibe. Santa Rosa isn't "bad", but not at all what I'd be looking for as a weekend destination.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I stayed in a hotel in Santa Rosa, I think the Economy Inn, walking distance from RR brewery on an ab diving trip. It was convenient enough for a good night sleep and sh*tty enough to GTFO early morning for diving and night for the brewery. There are lots of boutique looking wineries on the 128 to Mendocino, but I'd stick with grapedrink/IBGs suggestions, you can't go wrong with Sonoma/RR for pinot and chardonnay and Oakville/St Helena/Stag's Leap areas for giant cabs (bonus if they're pouring the 2012's). Lagunitas was a fun short day visit on the way back to the city, it's in the middle of an industrial zone but fun once you get inside their facility.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
No one mentioned Coppola Winery? I would go there for sure, it's the old Inglenook estate and they have the tasting area all full of movie memorabilia to look at while you sip and browse around.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Beer :facelick:
http://www.anchorbrewing.com/brewery/tours
https://avbc.com/the-brewery/tour-the-brewery/
:cheers:

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
easternlines said:
What's the deal with Santa Rosa - good/bad? Anyone ever stay at the Hilton there?
I worked at the SR Hilton for a few years during HS and JC, this was maybe 15+ years ago. Its a cool place, clean, decent restaurant and bar. Has great views over the city. The place is just decent, nothing extraordinary. Like others have said, I'd try to find someplace in Healdsburg. It may be more expensive, but there's great food and drink places up there if that's what you're interested in.

Lagunitas, RR Brewey are can't misses, and Bear Republic should be checked out. Drive up to Geyserville and go to Diavola for pizza, awesome place. If you're west of Santa Rosa, go to Underwood Bistro for food/cocktails.

You'll have fun out there. Lots to do.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
IBG said:
Copolla sucks.
???What do you mean???
A freaken hot dusty crowded day couped up with your wife in a rental sardine can. I would think anything would be OK. I have been to the place twice and the wine....eh, whatever, but poking around is cool and the gardens outside are nice, sort of the opposite of say Opus. You might just find yourself renting a Coppola movie that evening and it makes for a more memorable link to the days activities.

Its been 12 years since I have been there so the place could have changed quite a bit. What do you have besides the one colorful blurt-out?

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
RemyXO said:
easternlines said:
I worked at the SR Hilton for a few years during HS and JC, this was maybe 15+ years ago. Its a cool place, clean, decent restaurant and bar. Has great views over the city. The place is just decent, nothing extraordinary. Like others have said, I'd try to find someplace in Healdsburg. It may be more expensive, but there's great food and drink places up there if that's what you're interested in.

Lagunitas, RR Brewey are can't misses, and Bear Republic should be checked out. Drive up to Geyserville and go to Diavola for pizza, awesome place. If you're west of Santa Rosa, go to Underwood Bistro for food/cocktails.

You'll have fun out there. Lots to do.

Gotcha - thanks Remy. I think we only have two options at this point for a room - SR Hilton or the Geyserville Inn which is a B&B. I haven't looked into either option yet. I'm not too picky when it comes to places to crash as long as they are decent. I wish we could get something in Healdsburg, but with it being Memorial Day weekend and last minute that doesn't seem like it's going to work out.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Geyserville Inn would be a good choice- you would be in the heart of Alexander Valley there. Gorgeous scenery, and fits the vibe of what you are going after.

Santa Rosa is suitable, I'm actually there right now on business. At least in Santa Rosa you are close to everything and there are a ton of good places to eat, which makes it ideal for business travel. For leisure not the best, but a good home base if nothing else is available.

As R3W pointed out, Willy's is awesome- I'm about to grab dinner at Stark's, which is owned by the same family that owns Willy's. Super good food- they nail that line between comfort food and wine country foody-food like no other :facelick:

Have fun :cheers: