SF beatdown

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I’ve been in nyc recently and didn’t notice a big difference from pre-covid
my daughter lives in Brooklyn and goes into the city for fun sometimes. She says it’s back to normal
my brother lives in one of the affluent areas where they had homeless people give a hotel
his neighborhood is back to normal

next week ill be in San Francisco, but staying in oakland
im looking forward to seeing with my own eyes just how bad it all is
I’ve been in sf for a few hours. Walked a couple of miles in the heart of the city
Right now near Moscone center
Still haven’t seen anything similar to the horror that you’re all describing

I mentioned it to a local I was out with
He said the run cleaned things up and that it’s better than he’s seen but it seems no different than years ago

headed to Oakland soon
I have very low expectations

Reactions: Mr Doof

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I’ve been in sf for a few hours. Walked a couple of miles in the heart of the city

He said the run cleaned things up and that it’s better than he’s seen but it seems no different than years ago

headed to Oakland soon
You think you are better than everyone else that lives in SF don't you. :poke:

Reactions: Subway

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
headed to Oakland soon
Oakland used to be a shithole. Now, some parts are totally gentrified. Most parts of Oakland are safer than they were a few decades ago. Not "safe", just "safer".
Check out Piedmont and Oakland Hills, killer views and big bucks.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Oakland used to be a shithole. Now, some parts are totally gentrified. Most parts of Oakland are safer than they were a few decades ago. Not "safe", just "safer".
Check out Piedmont and Oakland Hills, killer views and big bucks.
I’m staying by the airport so unless it’s visible from the highway, I’m not seeing it

inwas Expecting to see more of the horror of San Francisco when I was walking around before 7am.
still haven’t seen anything worse than years ago
And actually there way fewer unhoused people.
a lot of people freaking out on this thread, and I’m sure there ones who live here know best, but right now you all seem like you’re being fed scary stories
and they’re scaring you

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

headed to Oakland soon
We were there a month ago. Walked everywhere- the Haight, Downtown, Fisherman's Wharf all the way around to the Ferry Building, Lombard St., Golden Gate park around the DeYoung and Botanical Gardens, Chinatown, Little Italy. Didn't see any homeless at all. Of course, like LA, it's probably concentrated. The Tenderloin SF=skidrow LA.

But still, I think it's best to be prudent and everyone leave Coastal California.

Reactions: Mr Doof and kidfury

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
a lot of people freaking out on this thread, and I’m sure there ones who live here know best, but right now you all seem like you’re being fed scary stories
and they’re scaring you
this.

That's not to discount the very real problems of an overwhelming drug epidemic that is killing people, an affordable housing crisis that locks anyone that is not a millionaire out of owning and keeps anyone that makes less than 100k and needs a 2nd bedroom from renting, and pretty absurd obstacles to running a small business, as well as a gluttenous surplus of dead retail and office space.

• Dislike
Reactions: PRCD

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I’m staying by the airport so unless it’s visible from the highway, I’m not seeing it
The airport is quite a ways from downtown.

Expecting to see more of the horror of San Francisco when I was walking around before 7am.
still haven’t seen anything worse than years ago
And actually there way fewer unhoused people.
and they’re scaring you
Last time I stayed there was fall 2017 in Union Square for a work event. There were tents sprawled out all over the sidewalk. No idea if it's any better now, but that's what it was then.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Went past union square on Powell a couple of times
There’s always a few unhoused/ nutjobs
But nothing major

and no public pooping
And that’s what I kept reading about is and was expecting
Not even public urination

rumors of the horror are greatly exaggerated

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Maybe we need new new thread? SF Homeless drug addict touch? On second thought, maybe not. I can jump in a cab and go to the top of the mark, have a few drinks, then cab it home and never have to see any of this. But if you live here and your eyes are open, you just can't miss it. Having said that, it's not only an SF problem, as I see it even in small towns off the 101 going south. Tough times.....

Attachments

Reactions: Woke AF

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
before heading out on a mile long walk by myself, I asked a cop if walking to my destination made sense, knowing that San franCisco has some areas i Should probably avoid

the cop said theres a lot of cops along that route because there are so many people walking it - from oracle park to Moscone / union square.
he was right , and I wasn’t walking alone
for a while it was too crowded with people leaving an event

sh!t no dropping a deuce sightings!

but I did see someone literally dumpster diving, but the clean way
only in from waist up . Legs up in the air to balance him without falling in
the cleanest dumpster diving method

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
So per that map it's concentrated in the TL, SOMA, and Mission. The usual problem areas.
Was in The mission area and saw some characters while I was in the uber
but the street where the restaurant I ate at was fine
and I was out there a while waiting for an uber
which gave me time to hit up a dispensary that I was lucky to be standing

Reactions: Subway and keenfish