SF beatdown

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I feel that what's changed more in the past few years is the proliferation of functional homeless that live in mobile homes and semi-mobile tiny houses. I can't for the life of me understand who they are, how they got there/what they're doing, and if this is going to change.
Here's what happened.

Cities took a hands-off approach and didn't deal with these van dweller types early on. Bleeding hearts were dumb enough to think these people were "down on their luck". City resources to oust them went to other stuff.

This gave the van dweller turds the go-ahead, and then the problem got out of control.

So now it's not just a few van dwellers, it's an army. They have legal representation and plenty of activist judges on their side.

Most of these types aren't homeless due to being down on their luck, they're homeless because the enjoy the freedom from society. Which I 100% get... the problem is they tend to have an asshole edge or a drug/alcohol thing along with a sense of entitlement.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The "homeless student" trope because it plays on people's emotions.
It's not just a trope, it happens more often than you might think. I taught several homeless students, and more than once was able to see the transformation of a kid when they found stable housing. Van life or couch surfing is tough on a 14 or 15 year old kid. One of my students (daughter of immigrants, grew up dirt poor but not homeless) spent several months living in her car when she went to UCSD. She graduated with 2 BS degrees in 4 years and is now in medical school.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's not just a trope, it happens more often than you might think. I taught several homeless students, and more than once was able to see the transformation of a kid when they found stable housing. Van life or couch surfing is tough on a 14 or 15 year old kid.
Agree - but a lot of things are tough on kids. Divorce, etc. Society has chosen to embrace lifestyles that breed conflict and instability.

The perception people have when they hear "homeless student" is a bunch of kids living in a cardboard box under a freeway and that's not the case. A mom and kid living at grandma's for a while meet the category for homeless.

One of my students (daughter of immigrants, grew up dirt poor but not homeless) spent several months living in her car when she went to UCSD. She graduated with 2 BS degrees in 4 years and is now in medical school.
I don't know the specifics of her situation but there are multiple resources at UCSD for students facing homelessness. Including housing. Not to mention other community resources.

Reactions: PRCD

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
The homeless situation in California is highly correlated with the housing crisis. Both seem to be getting worse, so I feel compelled to plug the opportunities that we have to help on the housing front.

Habitat for Humanity is a great org. They have projects everywhere and they draw a truly diverse crowd: ages, professions, political views, building experience, etc.

You get sun. You get strong. You learn. It’s a no-brainer.

Reactions: PPK96754

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The offer should always be there.
But simply being poor and an addict should not necessarily be cause to forcibly arrest and detain them against their will.
I wrote a book on conflict and mostly it's about dealing with people who are operating in bad faith.

There are people in power now who don't believe that people operate in bad faith.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The homeless situation in California is highly correlated with the housing crisis. Both seem to be getting worse, so I feel compelled to plug the opportunities that we have to help on the housing front.
The population of CA is declining. We might lose another million people this year. What do you mean by "housing crisis?"

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
When you didn’t grow up there, some places can appear sketchy but are not actually.

other places, however, appear safe and are sketchy.

its all in the eye of the beholder. SF/Oakland have been through it before and will go through it again.

im not surprised the SF locals aren’t alarmed, just annoyed.

Reactions: Woke AF

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I don't know about that. I'm an SF local, born and raised. There are a few key things that keep me here-business and family mostly. But to say I'm merely annoyed with the current state doesn't really describe it. More like I hate the city now. Same city I used to love. The city I grew up in, the city most of the people I grew up with have fled, for the reasons everyone who has any history here knows. Oakland? Always been a shithole IMO.

When you didn’t grow up there, some places can appear sketchy but are not actually.

other places, however, appear safe and are sketchy.

its all in the eye of the beholder. SF/Oakland have been through it before and will go through it again.

im not surprised the SF locals aren’t alarmed, just annoyed.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
The population of CA is declining. We might lose another million people this year. What do you mean by "housing crisis?"
Label it with whatever term you're comfortable with. You seem to agree when it applies to your own COL. Certainly you can see that it would impact others.
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.41.30 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and tacos

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
But to say I'm merely annoyed with the current state doesn't really describe it. More like I hate the city now. Same city I used to love. The city I grew up in, the city most of the people I grew up with have fled, for the reasons everyone who has any history here knows.
fair enough - but this is music to my ears. I miss the place I grew up too and the snobs can be the first to leave, even some of the ones born there.

I just hope they left the state and didn’t flee to San Diego.

Oakland? Always been a shithole IMO.
LOL. Thats why so many fled SF to the hills of The Shithole.

Last edited:

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Cause they couldn't afford the cost but still needed/wanted to be close to the city. You really think they moved there to upgrade? You think people said to themselves. "Yeah oakland is so much nicer than SF I'm going to move there!" Sure.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Cause they couldn't afford the cost but still needed/wanted to be close to the city. You really think they moved there to upgrade? You think people said to themselves. "Yeah oakland is so much nicer than SF I'm going to move there!" Sure.
$2mil ”luxury” condo in Pac Heights or $2mil detached sfh with yard in Rockridge/Chabot.

But keep telling yourself Oakland folks miss living in the city you now hate.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Those who end up homeless because of housing prices are the minority. Most people are sensible enough to move elsewhere if they can’t afford it. If your solution is to become homeless because you are priced out, then it explains why you aren’t smart enough to have a job that affords decent housing in the first place.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
fair enough - but this is music to my ears. I miss the place I grew up too and the snobs can be the first to leave, even some of the ones born there.

I just hope they left the state and didn’t flee to San Diego.

The hills and the flatlands have always been two COMPLETELY different places with nothing more than a name and council in common

The Oakland hills, Piedmont, Montclair, etc have much more in common with Orinda and Moraga than Oakland

Reactions: npsp and sdsrfr

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
The hills and the flatlands have always been two COMPLETELY different places with nothing more than a name and council in common

The Oakland hills, Piedmont, Montclair, etc have much more in common with Orinda and Moraga than Oakland
This is true. I'll admit I have a dislike for the entire east bay.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido and sdsrfr

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
$2mil ”luxury” condo in Pac Heights or $2mil detached sfh with yard in Rockridge/Chabot.

But keep telling yourself Oakland folks miss living in the city you now hate.
I don't know or care if they miss it or not. Your example of 2 million dollar places likely applies to a very small segment of the folks who relocated. Most were renters. But keep telling yourself how great oakland is, and how SF locals are merely annoyed with the state of the city.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Those who end up homeless because of housing prices are the minority. Most people are sensible enough to move elsewhere if they can’t afford it. If your solution is to become homeless because you are priced out, then it explains why you aren’t smart enough to have a job that affords decent housing in the first place.
The original comment still stands: there's always a way to help -- even if you believe it's only helping the minority.

Reactions: tacos and Woke AF

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Yep. Same can be said about the Berkeley Hills, etc. they’ve all been gentrified for ages using geographic barriers.
I don't know or care if they miss it or not. Your example of 2 million dollar places likely applies to a very small segment of the folks who relocated. Most were renters.
Data source? Or is this antidotal?
But keep telling yourself how great oakland is, and how SF locals are merely annoyed with the state of the city.
did I? I just said it doesn’t suck as much as some of the folks here let off, yourself included.

Last edited: