September of 2022: What's your favorite board right now?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I'm a massive Tomo enthusiast as most know, but lately I've been loving this custom PodMod from CI.

5'8" x 19" x 2-3/8". 30.2 liters. A bit less tail rocker than a Wizard Sleeve board of the same size/dimensions... but equal volume.

Squash tail, deep six channel, Varial board finished by Mike Walters with Greg Griffin's fins - this is the last set he made specifically for me. I'm going to miss him.

Board has an airbrush copied form the last CI six channel I had.

6COTB PM T.jpeg6COTB PM B.jpeg

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Where do you find one of these? Custom? I am very interested. Dims? Your stats? A/S/L?
Ya, custom made. I got a 6'10 but I wish I got a 7. The biggest downside of the board is that it doesn't paddle as well as I hoped. It's not a groveler, I got it to ride in oh to 2x oh sloping waves and it works brilliant for that. holds in so nice but still has that twin fin zest

Attachments

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I’ve been putting this 5’8 in the van more than any other board since I got it from Ryan. It goes great in average sized(2-4ft) waves, whether clean and prefect or mushy and bumpy. Wide outline with thin foil and plenty of entry rocker. It handles HH with ease because it paddles so well. It can even HH+ if slopey. Only once all summer have I felt under gunned, but other than that it’s been the most fun board
http://instagr.am/p/CfHFYGiLGQa/

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My good friend in Cabo swears by the PodMod. He's got like 3 of them. He runs AMT twin/trailer.

My favorite before I fcked up my knee this summer was probably my 5-11 Sharpeye Disco Cheater. Just a really good balance of performance and ease and never felt like it was the wrong board in anything under head high.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I’ve been liking my 5’9” Rocketwide Squash. Its got that good kind of broken-in feeling: good flex and nicely formed footwells. Usually surf it with the NVS AM-2. It’s a total basic bitch set up, and yet it’s been more dependable than any of my customs I’ve gotten in last year or two.

Jan 6, 2021
I’ve been liking my 5’9” Rocketwide Squash. Its got that good kind of broken-in feeling: good flex and nicely formed footwells. Usually surf it with the NVS AM-2. It’s a total basic bitch set up, and yet it’s been more dependable than any of my customs I’ve gotten in last year or two.
Same here. I'm running mine as a quad. Would like to try it as a thruster again. Debating on the AM-1 or 2. How much you weigh? The RWSQ has been just so reliable. Been trying other boards but always my best surfing on it.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
The RNF96 has been my quiver killer this summer… ridden it plenty at home in SD, in Baja, and on a trip to El Salvador. Width in the nose catches most everything, nose rocker enough not to dig, and tail “shortboardy” enough to have performance when it needs to. Rocking the Aipa twins plus trailer. Sadly, I’m starting to feel slightly too heavy for this iteration, which means I need to either drop some lbs or wait for a Lost custom, neither of which feel particularly appealing to me right now
C18E111F-B521-4AFE-96BE-13454234930B.jpeg

Mar 7, 2018
here we have had constant small to mid size swell for the last couple of years thanks to la nina. i have mainly been riding a gunther rohn late 1980s outline thruster. yes, it is longer and thinner than regular thrusters for the same volume, and has lowish rocker. it has really been a godsend in slopey beachbreaks but also lights up with its speed in head-high plus conditions - no concerns about maneuverability. the twins have struggled to convince me to take them out on a date for a while......