sept/oct on the east coast

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Fucking hate this time of year in the NE. NY specifically...First hurricane swell of the season is always a fucking zoo and anytime the period gets over 10 seconds it turns into closeoutaway at my local. Hype hype hype hype, crowd crowd crowd crowd, closeout closeout closeout. FWIW Feb- to April is when the real wave train starts, and the cold water keeps at least some of the riff raff away.

Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Fucking hate this time of year in the NE. NY specifically...First hurricane swell of the season is always a fucking zoo and anytime the period gets over 10 seconds it turns into closeoutaway at my local. Hype hype hype hype, crowd crowd crowd crowd, closeout closeout closeout. FWIW Feb- to April is when the real wave train starts, and the cold water keeps at least some of the riff raff away.
I agree with most of this sentiment. Our beachies like a shorter period and that’s when they really light up. Was planning a trip north to some old haunts of mine I know will be good but family stuff is gonna keep me localish.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i don't hate this time of year but yeah, the event usually does not fulfill the anticipation. that being said, while the longer swell periods tend to close out, there are still some fun windows to be had this time of year and the water is warm and the tourists are gone and the kids are back in school and it beats the sh!t out of anything we got all summer. ymmv.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
if the sand is good at enough peaks and jetties, even a modern day crowd gets thinned out a bit. Some seasons it only seems like 3 places are working on all of the western barrier islands combined. crowds are noticeably worse when it’s like that, obviously . I’m cautiously optimistic the sand is pretty good at a variety of places right now, but granted we haven’t had any legit surf in months, so who knows.. I’ll find out in 7 hours

Reactions: manbearpig

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
This is the BEST time of year. Hands down. Now through December. Just so boss.

Early fall bow starts this weekend with Earn a buck, flounder are still in, strippers start move in a month from now. Literally, Surf and turf for the next three months.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
And it's still nowhere near as crowded as SD and LA...you live next to the biggest city in the country - Hate this time of year? wtf

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So fun this morning. Far from perfect but beautiful nonetheless

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
& by strippers, I intended the fish. :roflmao::roflmao:

Exactly on the crowds. It ain’t that crowded in comparison to some locales and there’s still some hidden gems around.