Senator Tim Scott's response to our mumbling fool of a president.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
the foundation loss is not moral in nature, it is due to fundamental loss of understanding
of civics and the founding principles of free speech, debate, respectful disagreement, and
a underlying distrust of government power, much of which has been fomented, encouraged, and exploited by the industrial media compex as a business model for financial gain.
i felt you left out the important part.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Why should the government be able to take money that a parent is going to give their child? That's theft
Here is a capital gains scenario: In 1988 my parents purchased a large piece of property in the mountains of West Virginia. They just sold it and had settlement a few weeks ago for about 5x what they paid for it in 1988. The increase in value over the 33 years was due in large part to inflation and a sh!t ton of sweat equity my father and I put into the land. My parents paid property taxes, insurance and were taxed on every dime they earned and used to buy, upgrade and maintain the property.

What percentage of the sale price should the federal government and state of New Jersey get? As it stands they are going to be giving back to the fed and state government almost exactly what they paid for the land back in 1988 as a tax. Like buying it twice.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Did you graduate in 1998 as well? I think we're the same age
Yes

30% is ridiculous, and is that just your income? Are you counting every other fee and tax you're paying in on as well?
I think anything under 60% is acceptable. I want to say the last time I did the math on my income tax it was in the high teens or low 20s, once the deductions etc are factored in. I don't own a home so I have no idea how to factor in property tax for the purposes of this exercise.

I have a lot of cushion on the margins with respect to my personal financial situation.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Uh... yeah. Have you checked the rates on CDs lately?

Kind of a fail right now. Maybe if you hired somebody?
I was getting 5% when I inherited my money.

The interest (the free money) I made at the time blew me away.

It was the equivalent of what I got paid for teaching two classes.

What was my response?

I started teaching two less classes a year.

My 403bs are making over 5% now.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
It seems to me that the same people who take Tim Scott’s word as gospel are the same people who ask the one black person at the office:

“hey, you’re black, what do black people think about __________(fill in the blank)?”

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
On April 30, 2017, Trump’s approval rating was 43% and disapproval rating was 52%. On April 30, 2021, Biden’s approval rating is 53% and his disapproval rating is 42%. Y’all have a nice weekend

Reactions: hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I'm so careful about what I say around black people.

I hate that it's like that.

my dad's good friend is black and for decades they've had this decades' long "man......white people are crazy" and "man......black people are crazy" discussion going. It's pretty great.

My dad has to tell him at least once a year to be cool and quit talking sh!t back to (Richmond, VA) cops when they pull him over. This guy is in his mid to late 60s and my dad thinks one day the cops are gonna just pop him.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
speaking candidly, despite an appreciation of conservative ideology, I refuse to support the GOP
for all their transgressions, hypocrisy, and open bigotry-as-policy

for other folk in my cohort, it seems even more inconceivable that a black person would support
the GOP because those same flaws seem so much more acute when we imagine viewing them
through the lens of a person of color

our country was not founded on morals, principles and ethics

it was founded on a series of inalienable rights

your statement is fear-mongering predicated on falsehoods that don't actually have
any empirical measurement or applicability

the foundation loss is not moral in nature, it is due to fundamental loss of understanding
of civics and the founding principles of free speech, debate, respectful disagreement, and
a underlying distrust of government power.
Yep, you got me, the USA was not founded on morals, principles and ethics. Thanks for correcting my transgression that occurred while smashing my thumbs furiously into my cellular device. Those morals, principles and ethics helped to guide the Founding fathers. They knew we'd need a Constitution to help guide future generations. So in an essence, we may have the same size pen15, capeesh?

I call BS on fear mongering on falsehoods, empirical measurements & loss of morals. Birth out of wedlock is high, divorce is high, marriage is low, people acting like a$$holes are high, people standing on the street corner waiting for uncle Sam to pay them when there are record open job positions is high, proposed government expansion & spending is high, etc, etc, etc. There are numerous attributes that can be measured. Empirical. This isn't some academic theory or logic. Thus those attributes & people jab and poke at a document that reminds them of who they are, kinda like the good book and 10 simple AF rules to live by. Folks don't like feeling ashamed/etc so they rationalize and attack the very things they should reflect on to try to be better. nothing is perfect.

Are you afraid of Tim Scott? Uncle Tom, I meant Uncle Tim? Sorry, I SAID SORRY. PEN15, remember? Remember the logic, not speaking up is a decision to support a position. It's binary, can't live in grey/gray. You are either for or against. In or out, no toe dipping.

Wait, have we settled is America racist? America is not a racist country as Sleepy Joe and future president Harris recently suggested. SO what kind of racism does America practice? Institutional? WTAF. IT's awesome they had to respond to HIM the next day. Forced a card. Joe? Kamala? I bet the writers were furiously writing responses into the early dawn. No ones past is pretty, nothing is perfect.

Honestly, who the EF supports increasing taxes and in the same breathe to increase the IRS budget to enforce the new higher taxes? What the actual F^CK. My WWII (undefeated champs) gunny sergeant and frogmen grandfathers have rolled over in their graves at this sh!t show. They didn't float around the pacific, walk across Europe or hang out in Korea for us to behave this way. They expect better.