Sen. Tom Cotton - Fraud

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I see this as stolen valor light, he did earn the ranger tag which ia not easy, but did not serve in a ranger unit.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
There is a lot of fluidity of assignments in the sandbox. Volunteerism is encouraged. There are plenty of volunteers for the chance to see real action. Clearing a neighborhood house by house is fraught with the potential for a Ranger-style action.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think the members of actual ranger units have the only opinion on this that matters.
Are you? If so good on you.

That said, doesn’t look like he actually did the hellish training course, which makes him worthy of being called out.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Bs, You really do not understand thw written word.
"I see this as stolen valor light, "

:roflmao:

What's not clear in the article is whether he did a full on ranger training program where you have hike over mountains with 80 lb pack or whatever, or did he simply sit through some classes?

If it's the former, I wouldn't call BS on someone calling themselves a ranger even if they never saw a hot war. I imagine in the decades where we weren't in perpetual wars there were lots of those.

Either way, it does seem that he oversold his actual role, and I have no problem with him being called on that.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
"I see this as stolen valor light, "

:roflmao:

What's not clear in the article is whether he did a full on ranger training program where you have hike over mountains with 80 lb pack or whatever, or did he simply sit through some classes?

If it's the former, I wouldn't call BS on someone calling themselves a ranger even if they never saw a hot war. I imagine in the decades where we weren't in perpetual wars there were lots of those.

Either way, it does seem that he oversold his actual role, and I have no problem with him being called on that.
so you agree with me, one more time, he took and passed the difficult course and deserves to wear the tag, still not the same thing as being in a ranger unit. IMHO

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I believe there are two forum members that were Rangers. That I know of.

Anything from Salon is questionable. It's like Fox News for the left. Maybe, maybe not.

Identity politics is the new tribalism. Humans seem to have a primitive need to divide and squabble. It will probably be what finishes us someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Anything from Salon is questionable. It's like Fox News for the left. Maybe, maybe not.

Identity politics is new tribalism. Humans seem to have a primitive need to divide and squabble. It will probably be what finishes us someday.
Their take is the one that matters.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

Identity politics is the new tribalism. Humans seem to have a primitive need to divide and squabble. It will probably be what finishes us someday.
Who are the former rangers that post here?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
That Cawthorn prick is worse:

"Cawthorn became disabled after a 2014 car crash left him paralyzed from the waist down. By Cawthorn’s own telling, he was a successful business owner headed to the Naval Academy before his injury tragically reordered his life. As it turns out, neither claim is true. The Asheville Watchdog reported that Cawthorn had already been rejected from the Naval Academy before his accident. And Cawthorn’s real-estate investment firm, SPQR Holdings LLC, which he only formed in August 2019, reported no income on its tax documents, and Cawthorn was the sole employee.

But he has not only styled himself as Naval Academy material with a head for real estate. Multiple outlets reported that before he ran for office, Cawthorn was training for the 2020 Paralympic Games. There is little detail, but according to Micah Bock, Cawthorn’s campaign communications director, he intended to compete in the 400-meter dash at the 2020 Paralympic Games in Tokyo. It would have been an incredible footnote in a politician’s biography: Paralympians are celebrated and accomplished athletes. But his hopes for the Paralympic Games, now slated for summer 2021, were allegedly dashed by his worsening disability.

Cawthorn frequently said on social media that he was “training” for the Paralympic Games. Technically, such a statement could be true—but only in the sense that I could be training for the Olympic Games. “It’s like a kid saying they want to play in the NBA when they’re on their fourth-grade basketball team,” said Amanda McGrory, a three-time Paralympian who has earned seven medals in track and field. Cawthorn stated on the Christian inspirational podcast The Heal, “I had an opportunity for the Paralympics for track and field.” He did not have that opportunity, nor does it appear he took any meaningful steps that would have led him there."