Secret Sauce

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Rocker. Manfacturers don't put rocker numbers in specs. I scaled a few popular boards from the web and was getting 6" nose rocker for 6'-0" boards. Is that right? Sounds like too much to me. Maybe the builders distort their images to prevent industrial espionage?

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
6" isn't too much. There are a number of ways to measure rocker, and a single number can be misleading to a buyer looking to understand how a board will feel / perform. For example, is it measured from the stringer? Is the rocker mostly in the last 6 inches (nose flip)? Or is it more continuous? So many variables.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I was talking to GG about this once.

He was saying that rocker relaxes as you scale a board up.

At what ratio, I don't know.

I'm sure its different for each shaper too.

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I was talking to GG about this once.

He was saying that rocker relaxes as you scale a board up.

At what ratio, I don't know.

I'm sure its different for each shaper too.
Yes that's right @jkb , rocker does not scale proportionally to board length (i.e letting the shape3d or AKU software do the scaling) across the full range that manufacturers offer which can span 1' or so. Otherwise the longest stock dims would have too much rocker. Same with width - the longer models would be too wide.

@One-Off , yes 6" of nose rocker would be considered too much for a 6' HP shorty, but I don't think its shapers obfuscating their images. The software generates images for advertising.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Yes that's right
have you surfed much this winter?

been in your region for a few months now and it has been quite inconsistent unless you felt like driving hours to more exposed coastlines

back to the states in a few days, maybe come back for EC cyclone season sometime early next year

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
have you surfed much this winter?

been in your region for a few months now and it has been quite inconsistent unless you felt like driving hours to more exposed coastlines

back to the states in a few days, maybe come back for EC cyclone season sometime early next year
I am on a very exposed part of the VIC coast. Very rare to get too small to short board although it does get small - like yesterday arvo I surfed waist high open ocean. There have been a few days of too small to short board which is unusual, but I hadn’t considered it as a lack of surf winter overall. Had my share of time at my favourite junk wave sheltered spot when the open ocean is too big . Yes been surfing heaps

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
been on the surf coast mostly and it hasn't been so surfy lately