Second Self Shape

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
My second board after shaping a 4'10 fish. Tried a twin pickle-fork but with a standard hybrid outline vs the more parallel shapes you see around. I had an old CI Pod and Pod Mod that I loved so used them as a base outline. I was also curious to shape a pickle fork and as I imagined, it sucked. Probably with the right tools it would've been easier. Glassing it sucked even more.

The epoxy resin and hardener I used is two years old and was a cheaper house epoxy so it sucked using it the second time around. Didn't saturate well with the cloth so I ended up spending way too much time sanding and smoothing things out. It didn't help that it was sitting in a hot carpenter shed for two summers. It also yellow-ed like hell.

Overall, the second time shaping was a bit more frustrating, especially trying to shape something a little more performance. You also lose the excitement after the first time ;) The rails were harder to get right but I think it turned out pretty decent. Especially with the crappy working conditions including non-air-conditioned shed in hot ass Fresno, bad lighting, kids, wife, etc etc...

I used the same concaves that I used in the 4'10 Fish that has been working great for me. Displacement Hull -> Slight Single -> Double Concave with the deepest points alongside the rails tapering into the fins -> Slight V

I don't really see double concaves tapering into the fins much so I thought it would be fun experimenting. So far, I like it. Anybody know of boards that have these concaves?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to check it out. Thanks!

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Thanks guys!

Yup, just learning on YouTube. I went with fuller rails not as tapered down as my fish. I used Kazuma's recommendation with the rail measurements. His videos are the best.

JKB, the dims are 5'2 x 18.5 x 2.25. Surprisingly catches waves much easier compared to my fish. Even though the fish is a lot thicker and seems to float better. I haven't surfed it in anything decent but so far works good. Also, can't quite find the right fin set up yet...I tried the True Ames Stussy's and a set of Burch's that are double foiled. How's the Burch working for you? That's a dream board for me. Also got some new shirts in the works too...been too busy traveling to Japan the past few months so haven't had time to work on that end.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
RattimusB said:
Thanks guys!

Yup, just learning on YouTube. I went with fuller rails not as tapered down as my fish. I used Kazuma's recommendation with the rail measurements. His videos are the best.

JKB, the dims are 5'2 x 18.5 x 2.25. Surprisingly catches waves much easier compared to my fish. Even though the fish is a lot thicker and seems to float better. I haven't surfed it in anything decent but so far works good. Also, can't quite find the right fin set up yet...I tried the True Ames Stussy's and a set of Burch's that are double foiled. How's the Burch working for you? That's a dream board for me. Also got some new shirts in the works too...been too busy traveling to Japan the past few months so haven't had time to work on that end.
The Burch is awesome! It goes really well. I'll definitely be ordering more from him in the future.

Maybe try the Akila twin set in your board. I liked those the best in the El Tomo twin I had.

Looking forward to seeing the new shirt designs!

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
jkb said:
RattimusB said:
Thanks guys!

The Burch is awesome! It goes really well. I'll definitely be ordering more from him in the future.

Maybe try the Akila twin set in your board. I liked those the best in the El Tomo twin I had.

Looking forward to seeing the new shirt designs!
That's good to hear! A Burch asymm might be my next custom order for sure. I don't think I can shape something like that. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give the Akila's a try if I can find a set.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Nice one Ratty-B. Shaping and surfing your own boards is the best feeling. I gotta get some blanks and shape a few more myself. Supposedly there is a kid up north who will glass them which was always the part I didn't like and usually botched.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Aruka said:
Nice one Ratty-B. Shaping and surfing your own boards is the best feeling. I gotta get some blanks and shape a few more myself. Supposedly there is a kid up north who will glass them which was always the part I didn't like and usually botched.
Glassing sucks, mucho respect/sympathy for those who do it for a living.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Aruka said:
Thanks Aruka! Have you been glassing your boards using poly resin? I'm not sure if it's just the epoxy I got but it's terrible to use. Might try poly next...just watching video and it looks like it saturates so much better all the way to the rails.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
grendel95 said:
Glad to see you're keeping the surf stoke alive!

Both boards look fun!
Thanks man! I'm trying but it's definitely hard being away from the water. Just been swimming everyday at the gym. Gotta find a way to get to the ocean more! Surfing any new boards?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
RattimusB said:
Aruka said:
Thanks Aruka! Have you been glassing your boards using poly resin? I'm not sure if it's just the epoxy I got but it's terrible to use. Might try poly next...just watching video and it looks like it saturates so much better all the way to the rails.
I haven't shaped/glassed a board in years but I always used epoxy. I think I just assumed it was less toxic and also more durable.

I will likely go UV Poly if I end up having to glass boards myself again.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Aruka said:
RattimusB said:
Aruka said:
I haven't shaped/glassed a board in years but I always used epoxy. I think I just assumed it was less toxic and also more durable.

I will likely go UV Poly if I end up having to glass boards myself again.
Did the epoxy saturate well for you? With one layer of 4oz or 6oz it saturated well but with two layers (4oz+4oz) I ended up with a lot of tiny bubbles. I used a good amount of resin too, I wasn't trying to skimp out.