Seaside, Oregon.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The fearful possessiveness surfing always turned me off.

The guy filming and the locals hassling him are not people I would want to be around for even a minute.

I also, never got exposing a spot online.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I totally get where "hardcore locals" are coming from but they are usually such scumbags that I get a touch of schadenfreude when their spots get blown up.

Reactions: sbs209 and sickdog
Jan 6, 2021
I'd pick Nexpa for consistency and consistently good-great.

If you were the only one out on a good, slightly overhead day, you'd get more runner funnels at Monster Hole. IMHO some of the sand-bottom setups are more "perfect". I can think of a few in the Panhandle, but even one that's not a hilarious joke of a rare bird like Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, it's not a no-brainer slam dunk funfest for 6-8 months.
Did you just compare the Panhandle of Florida to the Lighthouse?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
yikes.

The guy in that video that comes in hot with the CI reminds me of an old transplant local at RIncon.

The video guy was awful. It's probably his IG account

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I've read this one before. Regarding the Nexpa comparison, it's a much longer wave when it is connecting but not as consistently top to bottom from one section to another IME. 2 different flavors. River mouth vs rocky headland. Nexpa seems to vary season to season and year to year and was pretty sectiony a few weeks ago. There are also quite a few point waves in that zone, where there is only one which holds real swell in 363 miles of coastline. The spot they surf in Part 1 is not nearly as good as they make it out to be either.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I went to Oregon last year for a week. Bend is a rad town. Everyone was nice, but there was one guy at a hotel who called me out later after we were talking in the elevator. He saw my plates and said "Cali!!?? Really?!". I said something like yeah, it's about 10 minutes from here, over there, I think you can see it.

Jan 6, 2021
With the "hilarious joke of a rare bird" caveat, yeah, I sure did. The Lighthouse isn't the only place on the planet with a left over sand that can run. There's three of them in the Panhandle that I know of.

Yeah and it breaks what? like 3-4 times a decade on hurricane swells only. Not saying it's the only sand bottom left.

The lighthouse breaks better in the winter and of course from late august - nov (as well as 5-10 other spots on the island) The "hilarious joke of a rare bird" reference makes no sense when comparing Hatteras to Floridatucky. Projection much?

1652896643344.png1652896678641.png

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah and it breaks what? like 3-4 times a decade...keep reaching.
3-4 times a season in the right year. Someone with Buxton in their name should know all about the rando gale/depression (named after the fact) in the right spot creating better waves at times than Hypefest 9000.

Do you think the Lighthouse and Nova Scotia's lefts deserve to be in the conversation with Seaside and Nexpa for best left in North America?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I went to Oregon last year for a week. Bend is a rad town. Everyone was nice, but there was one guy at a hotel who called me out later after we were talking in the elevator. He saw my plates and said "Cali!!?? Really?!". I said something like yeah, it's about 10 minutes from here, over there, I think you can see it.
Seems that there is a mix of jealousy and inferiority complex (OR ErBBers excluded, of course :beer:) combined with hatred towards Californians transplanting (understandable) from from Oregonians. I've been around groups of people from Oregon who go off the rails with their California(ns) bashing.

Example: I was camping in Baja with some friends (from UCSC) and somehow we ended around the fire with a group of guys from University of Oregon. One of them went on a tirade about how agro Santa Cruz surfers were over tiny waves (which isn't wrong). I asked him when he was there, and he said May :foreheadslap: I pointed out that this is the worst time of year for surfing, but most of the year we have pretty good sized consistent surf. Then one of them mentions Seaside and that it's only a 3 hour drive from Eugune :roflmao:

I'm like, are you really comparing the surfing life of being a landlocked surfer in Oregon to Santa Cruz :unsure: :roflmao: :foreheadslap: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Yewstreet
Jan 6, 2021
3-4 times a season in the right year. Someone with Buxton in their name should know all about the rando gale/depression (named after the fact) in the right spot creating better waves at times than Hypefest 9000.

Do you think the Lighthouse and Nova Scotia's lefts deserve to be in the conversation with Seaside and Nexpa for best left in North America?
No I do not...and yeah a random spot anywhere around an inlet on the east coast or gulf can be the best spot once or twice a year. Guess we can agree to disagree on the comparison and how it was conveyed between the two spots we are discussing.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
No I do not...and yeah a random spot anywhere around an inlet on the east coast or gulf can be the best spot once or twice a year. Guess we can agree to disagree on the comparison and how it was conveyed between the two spots we are discussing.
I'm 100% fine with anyone's opinion on what the threshold for inclusion is. That was the entire point of bringing up the Panhandle with respect to consistency.

Let me make a note of your input on the matter....

"buxtonOJ.....seems like good people....so don't buy a billboard in Va Beach with a picture of Lighthouse that says BEST LEFT IN NORTH AMERI-KEY: 2-4 hours if the bridge ain't SNAFUBAR'd."