Searching for Tom Curren

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
So I took my kid to see a re-release screening of Searching for Tom Curren at Honolulu Academy of Arts last night for the 25th anniversary of this film. First, it was great to see a surf film in a theater. Tom was there, and sat for a quick discussion at the end that was funny and poignant and pretty classic Tom Curren. My 14 year old who is very in to surfing was in awe of the film and the surfing. It didn't seem dated to him -- at all. His mouth was pretty much agape at Tom's surfing, and it made me realize that Curren's style is indeed timeless and transcendent, as the film claims. It was a tribute to Sonny Miller as well, who was an incredible filmmaker and by all accounts, a great and classic guy. Watching the film, I remembered every wave, every turn, every beat, as do many of us from that era who worshipped Tom's style, skill, and raw talent. And to top it off, someone in the Q&A asked Tom what his favorite wave in the world was, and he said, without thinking much, Sunset Beach.

Great film, great food, a packed house of friends and familiar faces, beers in the theater. Epic night. Long live the king of style!

P.S. Bring back surf movies.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
So I took my kid to see a re-release screening of Searching for Tom Curren at Honolulu Academy of Arts last night for the 25th anniversary of this film. First, it was great to see a surf film in a theater. Tom was there, and sat for a quick discussion at the end that was funny and poignant and pretty classic Tom Curren. My 14 year old who is very in to surfing was in awe of the film and the surfing. It didn't seem dated to him -- at all. His mouth was pretty much agape at Tom's surfing, and it made me realize that Curren's style is indeed timeless and transcendent, as the film claims. It was a tribute to Sonny Miller as well, who was an incredible filmmaker and by all accounts, a great and classic guy. Watching the film, I remembered every wave, every turn, every beat, as do many of us from that era who worshipped Tom's style, skill, and raw talent. And to top it off, someone in the Q&A asked Tom what his favorite wave in the world was, and he said, without thinking much, Sunset Beach.

Great film, great food, a packed house of friends and familiar faces, beers in the theater. Epic night. Long live the king of style!

Well yeah. Good flick. I think I still have the vhs tape down at the other house.:toilet:

Reactions: youcantbeserious

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
miss the old roosevelt high school theater days especially wit the live narrations
I think I saw Pacific Vibrations there

They played that movie at Wai Kai on 7/5 and Tom was supposed to surf the pool afterwards
hopefully some footage will show up from Wai Kai
he probably nailed it

The day I tried the pool with my family, Anastasia Ashley showed up with some guy who we swore looked like a young Barton Lynch without the beard. She did pretty well but her friend did much better. Made you feel better knowing that even pros had a challenge with that wave.

I still like "little Tom" surfing in Pacific Vibrations on that board his dad made him. It wasn't until the search with him at J-Bay, Indo and Haleiwa that he made me notice him again. Never really cared for his pro days in the 80's when the pro surfing venues really sucked.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation

I remember at the end of the season 83 , footage was compiled before editing by various film makers and shown at the Haleiwa Theater. Free admission. All the Pros were there and the hooting and hollaring was a blast. I think that was Dereks year. Let me check the Google. Nope! That was Dane's year!!

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

I'm going to bang my own drum and share that I told the Museum Director to re-screen this and to see if you could get Tom to come. I used to publish a magazine that she really liked so she always asks me surf stuff. Stocked to hear you enjoyed it!

I also recommended Second Thoughts, but she said it was boring and felt forced.

I also told her to do 5'5 x 19 1/4 but she watched it and said no. LOL.

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I just watched the trailer for the anniversary issue. It's easy to forget just how good Tom was/is, but holy smokes that's glorious surfing!

Last edited:

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Going go surf memories at Roosevelt High School, now that brings back memories. I watched some great movies there, including Five Summer Stories and
Pacific Vibrations. The classic night there was when Hansen Surfboards presented a surf movie while doing a promotion tour in Hawaii for the then new Hansen Stratoglass production boards. These were a hollow honeycomb board produced in the early 1970's and Lightning Bolt was selling them in the early days at the Bolt shop. During the intermission, I believe that it was Tuzo Jerger, went up the stage with one of these new boards and did a quick sales talk. During the talk, he was going on about how strong these boards were. At one point, he stated that he could hit the rail of the board on the edge of the stage and there would be no damage. Of course, someone in the audience told him to go ahead and do it. Tuzo proceeded to bang the rail of the board on the stage, which resulted in the sound of crushing rail which could be heard throughout the venue. Tuzo took one look and the board, said to begin the second half of the movie and quickly departed the stage.
Needless to say the Stratoglass line was short lived, with more than one that filled with water and sank in various locations Town side and are most likely still resting on the bottom.

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

7eb

Nov 20, 2005
no
Interesting to see how Curren remains, until now, a great inspiration among a few, but accross several generations of surfers.
Obviously it's not so much for his surfing game any more, but rather for the 'simple way of life' and 'true to your core' state of mind he always had. There is still perhaps a little glimmer of hope in the face of raging narcissism and the great rock'n roll snake fever on Facebook/Twitter/Youtube/Instagram that have become the appalling standard everywhere.

https://five-sigma.com/?p=2865

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Interesting to see how Curren remains, until now, a great inspiration among a few, but accross several generations of surfers.
Obviously it's not so much for his surfing game any more, but rather for the 'simple way of life' and 'true to your core' state of mind he always had. There is still perhaps a little glimmer of hope in the face of raging narcissism and the great rock'n roll snake fever on Facebook/Twitter/Youtube/Instagram that have become the appalling standard everywhere.
AI generated bots are getting more and more convincing with the posts they generate. Wonder where that link takes you.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com

https://five-sigma.com/?p=2865
I clicked it with script blockers turned on. Looks like a human built surf blog page.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
AI generated bots are getting more and more convincing with the posts they generate. Wonder where that link takes you.
It is really weird and incredibly ironic that a robot warms about narcissism while all it is is a narcissistic action.
ahhh, maybe the future is really scary.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
That AI generated post is more articulate than any book report or essay I ever wrote in school/college

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
It is articulate, but it misses the point. Ai can't appreciate art. Curren's surfing is timeless because he captures style, and his age has not diminished his style. "Simple way of life, true to his core state of mind he always had' not so sure about that, and that is just empty jargon away.
I don't think AI will make it past Jr college, but that is not required for internet writing/interactions. The scary part is that it does this and it does it without concern for relations, outcomes, or consequences with the intent of becoming more sophisticated. ?

Reactions: slipped_disc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
AI has no soul. I can't explain it but you know it when you read it.

Maybe it's the perfect grammar or the dry, clear thoughts? There's no filler. Filler, mediocre grammar and some misspellings add human soul.

Reactions: npsp and Woke AF