Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
[size:16pt]Why Are White Men Stockpiling Guns?[/size]
[size:11pt]Research suggests it's largely because they're anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market and beset by racial fears[/size]

"Baylor University sociologists Paul Froese and F. Carson Mencken created a “gun empowerment scale” designed to measure how a nationally representative sample of almost 600 owners felt about their weapons. Their study found that people at the highest level of their scale—the ones who felt most emotionally and morally attached to their guns—were 78 percent white and 65 percent male.

“We found that white men who have experienced economic setbacks or worry about their economic futures are the group of owners most attached to their guns,” says Froese. “Those with high attachment felt that having a gun made them a better and more respected member of their communities.”

That wasn’t true for women and non-whites. In other words, they may have suffered setbacks—but women and people of color weren’t turning to guns to make themselves feel better. “This suggests that these owners have other sources of meaning and coping when facing hard times,” notes Froese—often, religion. Indeed, Froese and Mencken found that religious faith seemed to put the brakes on white men’s attachment to guns.
For these economically insecure, irreligious white men, “the gun is a ubiquitous symbol of power and independence, two things white males are worried about,” says Froese. “Guns, therefore, provide a way to regain their masculinity, which they perceive has been eroded by increasing economic impotency.”

Read the entire article here...
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/why-are-white-men-stockpiling-guns/?wt.mc=SA_Facebook-Share

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GDaddy said:
Pew says Blacks and Hispanics own guns, too. I wonder what their excuse is?

Did you even read op's post? If so, why aren't you responding to its topic? No one is saying white people are the only one who own guns or care for them. :socrazy:

And the study was done by Baylor University, hardly a bastion of liberal thought...

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:

Did you even read op's post? If so, why aren't you responding to its topic? No one is saying white people are the only one who own guns. :socrazy:

And the study was done by Baylor University, hardly a bastion of liberal thought...
The subject is why whitey owns guns. I think that's a valid question, but so is asking the question of why POCs also own guns, even if its at a rate that's 30% less for blacks or 50% less for Hispanics.

You can tell that the subject of my response wasn't whether POCs own guns when that subject was framed as a "why" question.

Itriggeralot

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 16, 2015
Coney Island
GDaddy said:
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:

Did you even read op's post? If so, why aren't you responding to its topic? No one is saying white people are the only one who own guns. :socrazy:

The subject is why whitey owns guns. I think that's a valid question, but so is asking the question of why POCs also own guns, even if its at a rate that's 30% less for blacks or 50% less for Hispanics.

You can tell that the subject of my response wasn't whether POCs own guns when that subject was framed as a "why" question.
Easily triggered...often confused...

ITS THE GDADDY WAY! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:

Did you even read op's post? If so, why aren't you responding to its topic? No one is saying white people are the only one who own guns or care for them. :socrazy:

Is GDaddy's response a false dickotomy?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
JEwing said:

Answer: a reserve supply of something essential accumulated within a country for use during a shortage.
Are you suggesting that there's a shortage of firearms in a country where there are more guns than people? :roflmao:

TECHNOBUTTER

Nep status
Apr 26, 2017
NC
JEwing said:

Answer: a reserve supply of something essential accumulated within a country for use during a shortage.

you realize we're talking about guns and not (insert essential thing) right

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
by your own metrics, Whites own guns at a rate 100% higher than hispanics
and 50% higher than blacks.

weird, right?

consider that in relation to the crux of the post:

"people at the highest level of their scale—the ones who felt most emotionally
and morally attached to their guns—were 78 percent white and 65 percent male.
"

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
afoaf said:
by your own metrics, Whites own guns at a rate 100% higher than hispanics
and 50% higher than blacks.

weird, right?

consider that in relation to the crux of the post:

"people at the highest level of their scale—the ones who felt most emotionally
and morally attached to their guns—were 78 percent white and 65 percent male.
"

Uhh, whites comprise 63% of the population, so most of the "most attached" should be white. 78% is an overrepresentation relative to the entire population, but IRL shooting is a hobby that isn't real diverse. Have we adjusted for hunting and related activities, because that's an angle, too.

Rifles and shotguns together comprise almost 45% of retail gun sales (in California, anyway) but account for ~7% of all murders by guns on the nationwide basis.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
whites comprise 63% of the population, so most of the "most attached" should be white.
I don't know what the margin of error was, but Blacks are 13% and Hispanics 17% of genpop
which still seems to skew white (and male)

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
afoaf said:
whites comprise 63% of the population, so most of the "most attached" should be white.
I don't know what the margin of error was, but Blacks are 13% and Hispanics 17% of genpop
which still seems to skew white (and male)
Would you guess that someone who actually uses guns to hunt might fit into "most attached" category for that reason?