Scamming other shapers boards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I was coming on here to see dish! Who ya'll think it is? It would have to be someone with an expensive CNC machine and a scanner... who is a prick!
Hmmm... Maybe someone who has stolen shapers files before? :unsure: Maybe somone good with computers and replicating shapers boards?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Can you claim IP theft without a patent?

Can you patent a surfboard shape?
You can copyright a name and the duuuu is using the name.

California has the most lenient copyright law. Stick a little c logo on it and it counts. Deal with registration after you need to litigate.

this guy is selling his gear on their like-ness. probs an issue as well, as it could damage their brand reputation and perception in their market.

not an ip lawyer, just a duu who talks to them when folks might be trying to steal my IP or benifit off our like-ness.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Wait weren’t we attacking Ryan a few weeks ago for speaking up about the same chit? Lol

I think Ryan accused a similar looking board as being his board.

This fella seems to be selling his board as, literally, copies of other boards. Doesn't seem like the same thing.

I think the video that Greg posted outlines the obvious capability of scanning the board, but the way this dude presents his "products" is pretty bad, and possibly illegal.

Reactions: Aruka and ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Possibly illegal? Definitely illegal. How illegal? That’s the question. Probably just a strongly worded letter and a promise to stop is all that will happen.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Possibly illegal? Definitely illegal. How illegal? That’s the question. Probably just a strongly worded letter and a promise to stop is all that will happen.
CC says he has his "legal team" on it. I'm wonder if that actually means "the cops" or if that means "street thugs" lol. Because a lawyer cost money and like you said... a strongly worded letter is most likely all this guy will get from an attorney.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
You can copyright a name and the duuuu is using the name.

California has the most lenient copyright law. Stick a little c logo on it and it counts. Deal with registration after you need to litigate.

this guy is selling his gear on their like-ness. probs an issue as well, as it could damage their brand reputation and perception in their market.

not an ip lawyer, just a duu who talks to them when folks might be trying to steal my IP or benifit off our like-ness.
The insta post is confusing.

I think the guy is selling his actual Christenson fish that he used to scan the board. And then saying that he scanned it and can replicate it. I might be wrong.

Either way, shitty thing to do.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I think Ryan accused a similar looking board as being his board.

This fella seems to be selling his board as, literally, copies of other boards. Doesn't seem like the same thing.

I think the video that Greg posted outlines the obvious capability of scanning the board, but the way this dude presents his "products" is pretty bad, and possibly illegal.
poor ryan never gets a break from us

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
a lawyer cost money and like you said... a strongly worded letter is most likely all this guy will get from an attorney.
yep. I wonder how much a blank letter head costs if you draft the strongly worded portion yourself. :roflmao:

forgot to point out the importance of the letter head too. A convincing name at the bottom makes all the above more official.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
yep. I wonder how much a blank letter head costs if you draft the strongly worded portion yourself. :roflmao:

forgot to point out the importance of the letter head too. A convincing name at the bottom makes all the above more official.
They charge more if you write it yourself. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr