Scamming other shapers boards

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Yea I get that. And places like stretch do that and they have stretch look at the board before it’s complete.

But with Christendon he doesn’t even look at some of his machine files
Did you mean to say he doesn't look at some of his machined shapes before it goes out the door? That wouldn't bother me, I would trust that it has been finished skillfully, things can go wrong of course, but quality concern would also apply to the machine operator, the glasser and the sander. Personal inspection by the shaper is not possible with say a CI or Pyzel made in Australia. If as you say someone else is writing his name in pencil on the blank then I could see why some people might feel misled, but I would be fine with that.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you shaped 1 board design for 3 years, you could make a pretty good board.
It's not some sort of magic voodoo. Trial and error.
Even if you only did 1 a month, that'd be 36 boards. You'd have something pretty good.
2 a month and you'd have 72. You'd have a pretty good fish by then.

It's most likely April Fools joke. Pretty good one. He even got tags on the mock listing.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
there are a finite number of surfboard shspes that these guys- cc biolas ci and tomo ( yea tomo refor, deal with it) and more are constantly regurgitating.

if its bs then cc got trolled hard. which is pretty funny cuz he strikes me as a prima donna bitch

even if it werent a joke doubt cc's legal team can do sh!t (except extract some jack from cc).

you cant patent a fish. try it. tell all the fish shape mfers all your fishys belong to me.

you can trademark your lam, but if said guy doesnt slap one of your logos on it and fake your fake sig, you cant do sh!t about him scanning your crap and selling non branded boards

Reactions: urchined and JDJ

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
if its bs then cc got trolled hard. which is pretty funny cuz he strikes me as a prima donna bitch
... .
Yes, CC getting trolled rather than CC trolling looks the more likely to me. No comment on CC being a prima donna, his surfboards are not well known here and I know nothing about him. He did say on his instagram that it wasn't an april fools joke and got 983 likes, so would be a brave man if he is doing the trolling.

I can't find any info on "touch point scanning", unless it is "contact scanning" as opposed to the optical scanning as shown in the vid Greg posted. 3D scanning - Wikipedia Seems a lot of trouble to go to for a $500 sale price, which suggests troll, but I suppose it is a technical achievement if true. Whatever, I learned something from this thread :)

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
We used an Atos scanner at my work like the link below. We had to sticker up the object and I still find those damn tiny stickers randomly on my stuff years later. Think it cost over 100k at the time. Not cheap. Pretty incredible the accuracy and details we got with it and it was on a moveable rig so you could do something small or something big like a vehicle. Tech was amazing but the process was like watching paint dry after the excitement wore off. https://www.capture3d.com/3d-metrology-solutions/3d-scanners/atos-triple-scan

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
there are a finite number of surfboard shspes that these guys- cc biolas ci and tomo ( yea tomo refor, deal with it) and more are constantly regurgitating.

even if it werent a joke doubt cc's legal team can do sh!t (except extract some jack from cc).

you cant patent a fish. try it. tell all the fish shape mfers all your fishys belong to me.

you can trademark your lam, but if said guy doesnt slap one of your logos on it and fake your fake sig, you cant do sh!t about him scanning your crap and selling non branded boards
I agree there wouldnt be much you can do about it if there is no lam or fake sig. But if you are mass producing a specific design (say overseas) and selling a huge amount of volume then you might be getting a "strongly worded letter" from an attorney.

I disagree that tomo regurgitates other shapers designs. :shameonyou:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
But if you are mass producing a specific design (say overseas) and selling a huge amount of volume then you might be getting a "strongly worded letter" from an attorney.
like a san diego keel fish being a specific design? so does lis pay the legal fees or do the 200 keel fish shapers in north county class action their asian pop out ass?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
yep. I wonder how much a blank letter head costs if you draft the strongly worded portion yourself. :roflmao:

forgot to point out the importance of the letter head too. A convincing name at the bottom makes all the above more official.
The law firm of Daniels, Walker and Beam?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Not understanding what's wrong here - how is this different than any shaper observing an existing board, what works, what they like, etc and copying it by hand ... get the outline, grab your calipers, measure the fin cant, etc...

90% of the products sold on Amazon are copies of other products -

What about boardshorts!?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
But Christenson is having machines cut his boards and his brother is signing his name. Lot of his boards never even touch Chris hands if I remember.

So where is the line drawn? Is that not somewhat misleading as well and close to the same thing?

Lulz. THis is a completely different example.

Reactions: sdsrfr

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Lulz. THis is a completely different example.
Is it though?

Christenson markets himself as a maker of handcrafted well made surfboards (Handcrafted could be explicit or implicitly argued depending on who you talk too).

And he doesn't even touch them but his brother is signing "Christenson" on the blanks. Misleading at the minimum,

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Is it though?

Christenson markets himself as a maker of handcrafted well made surfboards (Handcrafted could be explicit or implicitly argued depending on who you talk too).

And he doesn't even touch them but his brother is signing "Christenson" on the blanks. Misleading at the minimum,
yes.

You're assuming that whomever is doing the "handcrafting" has inferior skills or is somehow less qualified than the label namesake.

I'm sorry to pull back the curtain on you, but if you see stock boards in more than a handful of shops, and there is any semblance of a "team", there is more than 1 person making those boards, no matter whose signature is on em.

The difference between hiring and training a staff (ghost shaper) to fulfill orders and having someone steal your IP and use your brand to sell their own product without your knowledge is pretty night & day.

The implication (although it should be readily transparent and dismissed by anyone who has ever actually stepped into a surfboard factory) of I'm able to "reproduce _____ (specific branded model) with 100% accuracy" is the issue. Scanning a finished board and backward engineering it? fine. That's one of the hallmarks of the industry that predates any concept of "shaping machines". See what works, try to replicate as much as you can and tweak the variables. Basing your design/product on something else doesn't make it something else, So using their label to shift business from them is not ok.

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Is it though?

XTR did the same thing with Tomo.

Reactions: Havoc

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
ive seen major differences in the same model merricks scrubbed by different guys

Reactions: Havoc

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
does anyone really care about stock boards?

If you like a shaper, call them up and order something from them.
if you go to a store to buy some mass produced product - expect it to be replicated by another attempted mass producer.