Scamming other shapers boards

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Everyone makes a Bonzer and even rips off the name. No different than copying a pair of jeans.

Theft of the actual computer file would be a different story. The ad says he scaled other sizes Which probably means they are not exact copies either.

Reactions: Mr J

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
The are many computer shapers that don't own a program or know how to use it - - -

A sander who has his own label of boards told me he gets no respect from some shapers , the glass shop told me he doesn't have a program or know how to use one .

Those beautiful longboards i saw looked familiar - saw some in Italy - it turns out they were Bing programs .

Another shaper showed a freind how he scans others boards , he being a handshaper chuckles at this stuff .

There was a guy near Bashams 15+ years ago that after his tech foam didn't take off , he advertised he could do many top shapers boards with the programs he recieved buying the machine he bought .

This ain't new stuff ;-)

• Wow
Reactions: freeride76 and Mr J

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes, but I think it's the first known time someone has done such a thing on Craigslist while naming specific shapers very explicitly.

Remember that guy on Criags years back that claimed to have a bunch of shaper's files and he would cut and glass for like $400? Didn't he register a a handle and try to explain himself here?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Yes, but I think it's the first known time someone has done such a thing on Craigslist while naming specific shapers very explicitly.

Remember that guy on Criags years back that claimed to have a bunch of shaper's files and he would cut and glass for like $400? Didn't he register a a handle and try to explain himself here?
Yes, however from what I remember it was not what you just suggested. He put a lot of well known board model hashtags or keywords into his advert (presumably to attract search hits) and then hook someone up with a custom build.

It misleadingly gave the impression to some on the erBB that he was scanning boards or had the files, however that was not the situation. When the discussion on here came to his attention, he said he had been silly and took the advert down or re-worded it. He explained that he was just a middle man with a day job who did not have any board building skills himself, but would arrange shaping and glassing using local professional labour. He said his motivation was getting customers stoked with their new boards.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Wow! that's amazing. It is also a lot of work! After preparing the board and scanning, dents, wax bumps, fin plug imperfections need to be smoothed out.

After the import into S3d a useful selection of slices need to be selected. Twists need adjusting. The bottom stringer in the tail block was all rounded off in that example and needed fixing. The rail profiles were a mess in the tail. So all the skills needed to put a designed from scratch board would be needed, plus a lot more skills in spotting and correcting problems would be needed - not easy.

Do you use the fin plug feature Greg, or just mark them out yourself on the finished blank.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
But Christenson is having machines cut his boards and his brother is signing his name. Lot of his boards never even touch Chris hands if I remember.

So where is the line drawn? Is that not somewhat misleading as well and close to the same thing?

Reactions: ReForest

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Everyone makes a Bonzer and even rips off the name. No different than copying a pair of jeans.

Theft of the actual computer file would be a different story. The ad says he scaled other sizes Which probably means they are not exact copies either.
The ad says it took him 3 yrs to make a perfect Christensen file. Even if the dimensions were the same it would not be the same file as the Christensen original, there would be no way of knowing where the original slices were placed, so it would have been up to the judgement of the re-creator. Possibly other control points were added to the re-creation.

Clean room design - Wikipedia

Florida Shape Off | Surf Expo

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was coming on here to see dish! Who ya'll think it is? It would have to be someone with an expensive CNC machine and a scanner... who is a prick!
Hmmm... Maybe someone who has stolen shapers files before? :unsure: Maybe somone good with computers and replicating shapers boards?
Name.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I wish I had the ability to copy boards.
me too. It is quite a skill Matt Kazuma Kinoshita (@kazumasurfboardshawaii) • Instagram photos and videos

I watched all of the S3D scanning tutorial and I wouldn't attempt that, too hard. It would take too many wasted blanks where I hadn't fixed the imperfections or distorted the original shape. If I wanted to copy a shape I would measure rails with calipers, put a rocker stick on it and make a board from scratch in shape3d matching those numbers. It would be comparable in terms of wave performance range, but not look or ride the same. I use just one slice in the nose area and this is enough control for my ability level. The nose rail curves and thickness blending of say a Chilli look quite different to what I have produced.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
But Christenson is having machines cut his boards and his brother is signing his name. Lot of his boards never even touch Chris hands if I remember.

So where is the line drawn? Is that not somewhat misleading as well and close to the same thing?
Great point

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

No, the way it's supposed to work is the shaper chooses the ghostshaper and trains him in regards to producing his product.

Some random guy off the street scrubbing a machine cut Christenson file probably isn't gonna produce the same results.

Reactions: Meeks and urchined

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
No, the way it's supposed to work is the shaper chooses the ghostshaper and trains him in regards to producing his product.

Some random guy off the street scrubbing a machine cut Christenson file probably isn't gonna produce the same results.
Yea I get that. And places like stretch do that and they have stretch look at the board before it’s complete.

But with Christendon he doesn’t even look at some of his machine files