Sayulita or other newbie-friendly breaks in Jalisco area?

Shwuz

Miki Dora status
Sep 26, 2003
Corpus Christi, TX
Visit site
going down for a week in august, we have to be in Jalisco, that's not flexible, but we will be mobile in own car. I'm looking for a spot to put my girl into some easy waves on a longboard, and the only "beginner" spots I know of are sayulita and the jetty in Barra De Navidad. Everything else I usually ride in the area is beachbreak and rivermouths. Tried to take her out at Arrollo Seco last time, and that nearly scared her out of the water permanently.

Anyone know of any other easy waves in the area? Who has been to sayulita (I've never actually been, only heard about it)? I'm betting the crowds, and possibly the waves, will be minimal in august, but is that the optimum spot for a beginner on a big ol' LB in that area of mexico?

Thanks, as usual.

Mar 31, 2003
Do a search on this forum - make sure that you search as far back as 1 year to get some Sayulita threads.

Sayulita is supposedly a good beginner/longboard spot and has plenty of more challenging spots nearby.

LESider

Miki Dora status
Nov 25, 2003
LowerEastSide NYC
Hey Shwuz
Sayulita is the female donkey breeding ground of the world!!! The Las Olas camp has been very instrumental in ruining a great little town. I don't think there will be a problem when you will be there but during the winter all the chickies wh went to camp there decide to go on vacation there and the line up turns into 30 girls who can't surf dropping in on everyone!

Aside from that Sayulita is a great place to learn the right works from knee high on up and the left can be a little more challenging. There are some good reef breaks easy to get to by boat just hook up with Tigre's boys. Also down at punta de mita are some great breaks and a few are friendly for beginners but most are pretty shallow, get your girl some reef booties.

Remember Sayulita is completely sheltered from the south swells so it will probibly be small when you are there.

Have fun!!!

Jun 4, 2005
i just got back from working and surfing in sayulita. The surf was small but for such a mushy, mellow wave there's a pretty gnarley local vibe. I'm 18 and every local was my age or younger and they riiiiiip like no other, 360 re-entries, reverts, you name it. It is a good place to learn though, but you just have to time your sessions according to theirs, but they do teach surf lessons so thats a sure fire way to pull some waves. Just respect the locals because I saw a bunch of people learning to surf get chewed out pretty bad. Its a pretty rad town, theres a few shops with board rentals, anything from softops to brand new surf-techs and you can get rides up and down the coast with the fishermen for around 1275 pesos. Hope this helps.