Sayulita early March?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I have to head to Sayulita in early March. Any word on surf then?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Well, I'm going for a heterosexual wedding and don't plan on getting into anything gay, but how's the surf?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
In general, weak. "Seeyalater" is a party/family vacation town more than a surf town. Depending on how long you're going to be there check Punta Mita, if El Niño comes across it would be a better call for surf. You might also check San Pancho. If you're only planning to stay in Sayulita it isn't worth paying round trip to bring a board, if you have more time rent a car in Vallarta and bring a daily driver board. PM me the week before you go and I'll send you up to date info from a local (Punta Mita) source.

BajaBoojum

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 21, 2009
San Diego
Agree with ElOgro. I haven't been in that region for the last 10 years but Sayulita was a chit show back then. I'd drive north.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
The groom and all our mutual friends are surfers, so trips to surrounding breaks are highly likely. Besides Punta Mita, how far do I have to wander to get waves worth the effort?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
If Punta Mita is flat, there isn't much else close that would be worth the drive. Ask the groom if they have a wedding photographer, if not I know a local girl that does wedding photography, she's lived in that area for 20 years and I highly recommend her. She can fix you up with boat trips, etc.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One of my funnest surf trip sessions was at san pancho. We were leaving that day.

There was a hurricane and the swell snuck up in there and all the kids were in school. Nothing crazy, just fun fun fun.

Drove to the airport in our wet trunks.

Glory days . . . .

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
For the unedumacated O.T. is referring to the border between the states of Nayarit (where Sayulita is located) and Jalisco (where the PV airport is located). Nayarit is one hour behind of Jalisco.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Bumping this because I have some questions. I started a Trocones/La Saladita thread about a possible trip and found that it might not be ideal. I am looking for warm water left points, something like a reverse Malibu, which get consistent swell in the summer. I would like a place with surf guides, as I don't want to rent a car. I have heard about the Costa Azul Adventure Resort, and it seems like it might work. I could surf San Pancho out front and also go to Santa Cruz and Chicala to find the left points I want. I will be bringing the wife, so it would be nice if she could get surfing lessons while we are there. The resort is all-inclusive, so that might be nice. I am a mediocre surfer, so I don't want a heavy Indo reef pass, just long fun lefts.

Does anyone have experience with this resort? Have any of you guys hit up Chicala or Santa Cruz? I know the resort surf guides do go to those places, I just want to know how consistent they are in the summer. Sayulita sounds like it would not be good, but how about Punta Mita? Could I stay there and find surf guides to take me to the northern left points? I have found some info but if anyone has any first hand experience with the area, the resort, or those left points it would really help. Thanks in advance.