Saving the Salton Sea

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Can it be done? Should it be done?

"Lakic believes it's possible to import water from Mexico's Sea of Cortezor, perhaps, from the Pacific Ocean off the California coast — through a multi-billion-dollar system of pipes. He would construct mangrove habitat for natural water filtration, send desalinated water to geothermal plants and, amid all this, restore California's largest lake. "

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
did't it always sorta mostly look like this?

View attachment 111186
According to here

"700 AD: Lake Cahuilla arises in the Salton Sink when the Colorado River silts up its normal egress to the Gulf of California and swings northward through two overflow channels. Lake is subjected to wet and dry climatic cycles over intervening years, filling up and drying out four times."

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
According to here

"700 AD: Lake Cahuilla arises in the Salton Sink when the Colorado River silts up its normal egress to the Gulf of California and swings northward through two overflow channels. Lake is subjected to wet and dry climatic cycles over intervening years, filling up and drying out four times."
Why do we need a Salton Sea Authority?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Two questions for starters:

1. Is the Salton Sea worth that kind of money? Multi Billion? What else could California do? I am not trying to hate on the Salton Sea, but how much is the tab on a healthy run of safe to eat salmon getting up the San Joaquin past Fresno?

2. Mangroves? Those things basically disappear North of Orlando. Doesn't it have the potential to get pretty dang cold in the winter once you're on the backside of the Coast Ranges?

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Two questions for starters:

1. Is the Salton Sea worth that kind of money? Multi Billion? What else could California do? I am not trying to hate on the Salton Sea, but how much is the tab on a healthy run of safe to eat salmon getting up the San Joaquin past Fresno?

2. Mangroves? Those things basically disappear North of Orlando. Doesn't it have the potential to get pretty dang cold in the winter once you're on the backside of the Coast Ranges?
Oh yeah the desert can hit the thirties in winter evenings.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Oh yeah the desert can hit the thirties in winter evenings.
Gotcha. Wikipedia says it's 43 feet max depth and weatherbase says record low is 14 and there are six months (Oct-Mar) with record lows under 30.

I don't think mangroves are the answer to the Salton Sea's water quality. Maybe some kind of clam or oyster tolerant of temperatures and salinity might be the go. If the water is clear enough some seagrasses might do?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
The issue with letting it dry out is the dust and stench. Due to heavy Ag, industry and the shrinking Salton Sea, the Imperial County has some of the poorest air quality in the state. The New and Alamo Rivers are the main sources of "water" feeding the Salton Sea. These are two of the most polluted rivers in North America. The two rivers are laden with heavy metals, dangerous organic compounds and all kinds of other nasty by products of big Ag and industry that discharge in to, or completely make up the flow of the rivers.
If the Salton Sea was to completely dry out, it would create a massive dust bowl that would coat the surrounding region with a fine layer of toxic dust. You think LADWP's dust suppression project in the Owens Valley is a big undertaking? It's nothing compared to the scope of the Salton Sea issue with no where near the population concentration.
The cost to construct and operate the system to pump water from either the Sea of Cortez or the Pacific would be so high it's a non-starter. At one point, I thought they were looking into tapping the hot briny water that they extract for the Geothermal plants west of Calipatria and run it through big heat exchangers to cool it for discharge into the sea. I forget what they were planning to use the wasted heat for though... The high Zinc content of the brine may have made that plan non-feasible.
Regardless, the Salton Sea is a mess and will be one for a long time.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The issue with letting it dry out is the dust and stench. Due to heavy Ag, industry and the shrinking Salton Sea, the Imperial County has some of the poorest air quality in the state. The New and Alamo Rivers are the main sources of "water" feeding the Salton Sea. These are two of the most polluted rivers in North America. The two rivers are laden with heavy metals, dangerous organic compounds and all kinds of other nasty by products of big Ag and industry that discharge in to, or completely make up the flow of the rivers.

If the Salton Sea was to completely dry out, it would create a massive dust bowl that would coat the surrounding region with a fine layer of toxic dust. You think LADWP's dust suppression project in the Owens Valley is a big undertaking? It's nothing compared to the scope of the Salton Sea issue with no where near the population concentration.
The cost to construct and operate the system to pump water from either the Sea of Cortez or the Pacific would be so high it's a non-starter. At one point, I thought they were looking into tapping the hot briny water that they extract for the Geothermal plants west of Calipatria and run it through big heat exchangers to cool it for discharge into the sea. I forget what they were planning to use the wasted heat for though... The high Zinc content of the brine may have made that plan non-feasible.
Regardless, the Salton Sea is a mess and will be one for a long time.
There's a river named 'New River' ? Has socal run out of names?:roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
There's a river named 'New River' ? Has socal run out of names?:roflmao:
It's a man made "New" river that originates in southeastern Mexicali and picks up the discharges from Ag, industry and residences as it flows northwest thru town and across the border into Calexico and onto the Salton Sea. Not unusual to see huge piles of foam floating on the surface as the river flows north. Sometimes you will see people trying to float the river to cross into the US illegally using hefty bags as makeshift rafts.
The only "clean" water that gets discharged in to the New River is the effluent from the City of Calexico's WWTP.
It's a messed up situation to say the least.

Reactions: r32

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
It's still dirty as phuc but the water coming out of the plant is good.

If they ever figure out a way to clean that place up, a piece of property there would be a solid investment.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
good info @npsp

Apparently Salton Sea was a popular hangout for Hollywood celebs back in the day. Wonder how much the land goes for now.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
good info @npsp

Apparently Salton Sea was a popular hangout for Hollywood celebs back in the day. Wonder how much the land goes for now.
my step-dad had a lot out there

I was born in Indio..we used to go back out there a lot and would often detour through
salton see to see the lot

it was such a fkn weird zone

I just remember the white salt on the surface, like the central valley...fluffy almost like snow
on the ground...and lots of fish skeletons everywhere

the pictures above are crazy...I could see how the sea of cortez extended all the way up to
that point possibly in the past and then silted in, leaving that body of water land locked

Reactions: npsp and r32

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
seems lots like Goose Lake in NE Ca. I called f&w about some regulations and he was like “yeah the map show a lake but don’t freak out.” Cattle were grazing on the dry lakebed

According to here

• Wow
Reactions: r32

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Fixing the Salton Sea is simple.

Get your eco terror group to blow up Hoover Dam.

Presto, plenty of flow bro!

(This nessage is a joke in poor taste, and in no way or form any invitation/incitation to blow up ANYTHING!!!)

:foreheadslap::shameonyou: