Satellite offices

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Nope, not at all. My response is more geared towards response of how Biolos does it. But, nice try....

I am very aware of him and know his whole story :shaka:
Always appreciate the clarification. Generic statements subject to misinterpretation. :cheers:

I surely don’t know who does what under the Biolos signature (or lack thereof for OTR)

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
also the machine operator could load the blank incorrectly and it skews the foam distribution towards the bow or stern of the boar. seen it happen. if only gws could cut all of our boars!

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I have to say that the thought you have is valid to a point. If you can walk in and get Timmy, Marcio, whoever to design and shape you a custom board that is great and you should do it just for the experience alone.
What happens to most shapers that have a decent size biz is that they have one or more trusted and experienced backshapers (ghosts) working for them to help keep up with demand. If you do it right -and I hope that I have- you first have your design files dialed in as close to the desired finished board as you can so that all the main characteristics of the designs are already in the cut blank. Then you work very closely with your shapers to teach them how you want your boards to come out. The rocker and bottom contours are very difficult to screw up, but the biggest part of the boards that they are tuning in is the rail, so that is what we really focus on perfecting. In our Oceanside factory I have a "Master Shaper" who looks over any other backshapers' work and makes sure to keep them tuned in and on track to what I want. We don't hire just anyone to shape for us- my guys are all amazingly talented in their own right, and I am lucky to have them making our boards.
I regularly check out our boards at shops and in the factory to make sure they feel like my own shapes.
To make it clear how much I trust my crew (not just Oceanside, but around the world) I get them to make my own personal boards whenever I am traveling so that I am riding exactly what our customers are riding too.
As for our files being used by other shapers - We have our own shaping machines and keep things in-house to avoid that sort of thing, and I will only work with people that I trust anyway. I am sure someone has managed to get their hands on my files before, but I can't get all worked up and worried about a couple of boards here and there. We also can pass-lock our files so that they can't be used by people outside our groups.
Hope this sheds some light on the topic...
I understand the doing everything you can to hold your designs as proprietary, but can't any design thief buy a board and just scan it?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Only time I don't order from local guys is if I want a construction that isn't offered locally (e.g. XTR, SuperFlex, FutureFlex, etc).
Same. Also, XTR is local for me... so not sure how that counts or not? LOL.
This year, I have also gone for a couple shapers from farther away for a specific design like Akila's contemporary fish that I think is unique enough and want to try. I'd still like to try a Ghost at some point after hearing nothing but rave reviews as a good wave board and I guess that would be from Pyzel's Oside factory. Of course, being in SoCal, we are pretty spoiled for choice of top shapers, but I imagine it's tougher to "stay local" in many other places.

Reactions: Chocki and JDJ

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
When I was doing some painting at the new Tokoro factory Wade would come by and bring us lunch. He showed me a printout of all the files he had worked on at home before going in to the current factory. He said it’s more productive for him to work on files at home. It was for board orders from Brazil. Playing dumb I asked if he sent the finished blanks to Brazil. He said that he has a shaper there, in Japan, Europe and Indo that he has personally trained to get the finish blanks up to his standards. He’s also particular about the glassing since that could make or break a good design.

Not only is Wade a great shaper his cooking is very good. Shoyu chicken and Japanese style potato salad for the win.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Always appreciate the clarification. Generic statements subject to misinterpretation. :cheers:

I surely don’t know who does what under the Biolos signature (or lack thereof for OTR)
Pretty sure Noah Budroe is one there, he was once anyways. Maybe a guy named Tuttle?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Noah Budroe is another one I'd like to get a board from, but heard he has zero interest in shaping right now.
A long while back when he was shaping out of San Clemente Surf Co., I got a couple boards shaped from him. They worked very, very well.

Reactions: jkb

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I had a beat to sh!t Rocket that my wife bought for me at a garage sale for $10. It went so good. Would love to get another.
Shaping runs in the family, his brother Christians boards were under the feet of a lot of NSSA groms a decade or so ago my son had a few. Kind of seemed like he was on the way to becoming renowned at that stage, he is likely ghost shaping somewhere still.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
6'6" 18 by 2.4?
And what the hell board(s) do you think I used for templates on many future shapes? :monkey:

This thread triggered a trippy memory. Friend hooked me up one day - any board in the Lost factory for $350. Any. Board. And there were probably thousands in there. Ended up getting a 6'10" roundpin. Great board for chunky beachbreaks.