Santa Cruz - livin' the dream!

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
was pretty clear to me by the late 80's that sc was done. every era thinks theirs was the jam before it went to sh!t. mine was no golden age but once the southern bay area population started really booming sc's livability went markedly down hill as more and more people streamed over 17 daily

for reference i moved out of there in 1990. still miss the quality and consistency of its surf and weather sometimes but that is it
I think any desirable place gets over run at some point.

I have a friend who grew up in south lake in the 70s and 80s and said he hates it so much now he won’t even go back.

He told me he’s got some mountains he goes too that aren’t crowded and he won’t tell anyone where. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Last time I surfed SC was Pleasure Point. Then later The Hook. It was 1990. I don't know from Adam, but the locals all said, "should have been here a decade ago" then.

:shrug::cheers::beer:

Nostalgia es una puta.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I don’t have the frame of reference of Greg or doc . Only been surfing SC since maybe 85/86 But to my mind it’s gotten way worse lately.

Hot take it because localism isn’t as bad anymore and gentrification

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My sister in law and her fiance live in the South Bay and work in tech. Make a lot of money and remote work. They talk about driving over the 17 and hanging out in SC all the time and how great it is (fiance is an adult learner). I have to bite my tongue and just say, "oh cool, yeah SC is nice."

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
80s-90.... Crow's Nest.

Big guy behind the bar. Black curly hair, light brown skin and great personality.

Anyone here know Paul?

Used to ride a BIG Pearson Arrow LB?

He's one of my best lifelong friends. Living in Palm Beach FL now, confined to a wheelchair.

Says, "Hey now!" To all the SC crew that bought drinks from him.

:waving::shaka:

Video chatted some B's with him on Turkey Day.

:cheers::beer:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Was Santa Cruz always like that? Or did it change pretty recently
Early 90s scored uncrowded out of town spots named after # of miles, Dport, left that got good in Summer and Fall, and that reef looks like Sunset "cold" on big day. Also was able to get waves at Middle Peak on big days when the left broke all the way into channel.