Sanded vs. glossed?

MACSD

Nep status
May 8, 2003
In reference to todays average shortboard. My understanding is that a glossed surfboard has a better seal and is therefore more durable than board with just a sanded finish. How much performance is sacrificed ny having a board glossed rather that just sanded? Would you save a bit of weight (and therefore increase performance) by having a sanded-glossed finish rather than just glossed?

Thanks for the input... just trying to become a better educated consumer here.

May 19, 2003
everywhere
Hey Man,
I have always preferred a sanded finish to a gloss. I ride pretty small and thin boards, however, and I therefore notice the difference quite a bit. If you are riding a shortboard over 6'4" then you'll have enough foam where it won't make too much of a difference. The coarser sanded finish is a touch faster not just because of the weight but because air gets trapped into the grooves allowing it to have less friction against the water surface, if that makes any sense. Anyways, it's a matter of taste, sanded finishes definitely don't last as long but perform well while they do.
Peace

MACSD

Nep status
May 8, 2003
Thanks for the input Chris... How do the glassers in this BB feel about this (shortboards: glassed vs sanded-glossed)? Thanks. I would appreciate your opinions.

Jan 19, 2003
If you want the speed advantage of sanded as well as the sealing quality of gloss, then why dont you just get a sanded gloss coat? It is lighter than a regular gloss coat, and slightly heavier than just a sanded finish. But will not leak or seep like a sanded finish alone does.

TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
Pavement, CA USA
www.surfysurfy.net
In my opinion a properly made surfboard has a glosscoat. "Sanded Finish" boards are actually unfinished. A sanded finish is the sanded hotcoat taken down with wet and dry fine grit sandpaper, sometimes with a variety of acrylic sprays to help hide blemishes.
I've gotten pretty good over the years at making sanded finish boards look like sanded glosses. It's been hard work but 90% of the time when you lay two boards that I've finished next to each other you can't tell which one is glossed and which is not.
If the hot-coater does a cherry job cheater coating the laps I can get a sanded finish board nice and smooth without showing any weave of the cloth.
Sanded finishes became popular in the eighties when people wanted to emulate pro surfers. Shops would skip the gloss process to save money and time. Afterall, pro boards were prototypes. No need to completely cherry them out. But more and more people wanted similar boards thinking the pros had some secret advantage. The truth is, no shaper wants to pay for two extra steps in the process(paying the glosser AND wetsander AND extra cost for resin and sandpaper).
You do save some ounces in weight, but honestly you can rarely feel the difference in the water. I've found that the majority of surfers believe that gloss-coats are "thick", adding tons of weight*. When most people think of gloss coats they think of polished longboards. Polishing the glosscoat gives the resin the illusion of depth. Personally I think it looks cool, but I assure you that the resin isn't any thicker wether your board is polished or not.
Gloss coats are brushed on thin with strained resin. I then cut this coat down in half with 220 grit sandpaper, smooth that out with 320 and then block it wet with 400. What's left is a thin waterproof seal. It's important to waterproof your surfboard.
All my personal boards are glossed from my 5'11"s to my 10' footers. I keep my boards on average of 4-5 years before selling them.

*My Channel Islands 6'2' Flyer II is glossed, my old roomates was sanded only. When we traded out in the lineup the boards did not feel different weight wise. I believe that when it comes to surfboard weight the most important thing is that it feels nice and balanced. You don't want the board to have a dead weight, it should feel lively. You want a nice balanced board to get over the ledge and down the line, make it through barrel sections, etc.

luvtosurf77

Michael Peterson status
Jun 12, 2003
VA
I would go sanded gloss. And Tri-Fin seems to know his sh*t so listen to him. The gloss coats look sooooo sweet anyway plus they are more durable. My Channel Islands new blue is a sanded gloss and I love it. I don't feel any weight penalty and it has no major dings after plenty of use.