San O' help

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
Are your photos from Sunday? We must have walked by the 60s orange and your white van 3-4 times during the day.

If so, what time did you get in line? We left our Bluffs camp site @ 4:45am and got in line just before 5am. (We were near the very end toward Trails #6, so it took forever to get out in the dark.)

By the time we arrived, the line had already snaked around under the overpass next to the railroad tracks, maybe 1/3 towards the turn off back to the old 101 coast road. My guess is we were around number 120-150. It sure seemed like it, because by the time we got to our regular spot between Old Mans and Dogpatch, there were only 2 good RV spots left. All the others were already taken by regulars in their vans/RVs. And this was around 6:05am, since they opened the gates @ 5:55am.

By 6:10am, it was a done deal. Traffic essentially came to a halt because everyone who got in, got in, and those who didn't were SOL for at least a few hours up in the waiting line.

I decided to go back to sleep and see what the conditions looked like later as the swell filled in and the fog lifted. I finally paddled out around 11am, which is coincidentally when the club contest ended. There were some fun waves, especially since the tide was dropping, the swell was increasing, the wind was staying down, and the sun was coming out.

Did you get a chance to check out some of the heats? The usual suspects ended up winning their divisions:

https://sanonofresurfingclub.org/club-surf-contest/

I saw/said hi to Knost Sat afternoon at the 4 doors/Point hipster zone, but not sure whether he was surfing the contest. BTW, my wife thought he did Iggy Pop better than Iggy. LOL

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
MitchellC said:
BTW, my wife thought he did Iggy Pop better than Iggy. LOL
It is your wife...she gets a pass. You...no pass. DON'T EVER EVEN F*&()#&*(#(&*# PROMOTE ANY CONFUSION REGARDING IGGY POP WITH SOME PIECE OF SH!T F*()#*()#*()# HIPSTER F()CKING JOTO, WANNBE PRISON DATE GUEST OF HONOR DOUCHEBAG, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name your god and I bet he will F*&(##ing forsake and hate you for repeating that. F()Ck.

That is all.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
20W-50 and blood said:
MitchellC said:
BTW, my wife thought he did Iggy Pop better than Iggy. LOL
It is your wife...she gets a pass. You...no pass. DON'T EVER EVEN F*&()#&*(#(&*# PROMOTE ANY CONFUSION REGARDING IGGY POP WITH SOME PIECE OF SH!T F*()#*()#*()# HIPSTER F()CKING JOTO, WANNBE PRISON DATE GUEST OF HONOR DOUCHEBAG, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name your god and I bet he will F*&(##ing forsake and hate you for repeating that. F()Ck.

That is all.
Hey man.. I'm just a passenger on this ride....

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Are your photos from Sunday?
Saturday night and Sunday.

We must have walked by the 60s orange and your white van 3-4 times during the day.

If so, what time did you get in line? We left our Bluffs camp site @ 4:45am and got in line just before 5am. (We were near the very end toward Trails #6, so it took forever to get out in the dark.)

By the time we arrived, the line had already snaked around under the overpass next to the railroad tracks, maybe 1/3 towards the turn off back to the old 101 coast road. My guess is we were around number 120-150.
We must have camped right next to you and must have been in line at the same time and place as you, too!

We got a good spot with a table right north of the north edge of the contest. We surfed Old Mans until 8 pm Saturday and The Point from about 7 am to noon on Sunday. Super fun (for longboarding).

Looking down toward Dogpatch, looked like all SUP's and some SUP foils.

Did you get a chance to check out some of the heats?
Saw some guys rrrripping! Didn't notice any surf stars but dug the scene.

Stocked. :smile2:

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
rice said:
The first time I surfed Sano was during the heyday of 3rd point Malibu. I was living in LA and had already surfed the day before (Sat) in pumping conditions with Mayor 1 and that crew.

Sunday, the swell had already peaked and I wasn't in the mood to deal with the drive, traffic, etc. I had a neighbor who had moved from Seattle and was learning to surf. He invited me to drive down to Sano with him, and as he had a new, big SUV and would handle all the chores, it was a no brainer decision.

All I had to do was grab my board and zone. OC was still a bit mysto for me, so I figured I could experience some new territory. I had done the drive down to Lowers on a few occasions before, but had never been to Sano proper.

Of course, I hated the entire experience. I remember it was a beautiful day and there was still swell, but I thought the waves sucked (I was on my regular short-board) and the scene was a goof. In general, I had the same reaction most 20 somethings who are into performance surfing would have.

I literally didn't return for decades; that is, until I was teaching my son how to surf. Then, as most parents do, they begin to frequent Doheny & Sano. As it so happened, we hit Sano one day when there was swell - maybe around the size we had last weekend.

That's when the light bulb went on. There were guys out older than me (some, a lot older) and they were on these 8-9' Stewarts. That's when I realized the place can actually break, and with the right attitude (ie being older) and the right equipment (HP LB), one could potentially keep surfing until they dropped.

And that's when I became a fan. Even better, my wife - who isn't really a beach person - likes going down there as well. She's actually the instigator behind our Sat afternoon, Sun morning routine.

If your kid(s) decide to attend school in SoCal, I could easily see a situation where you dial in the game and start hitting it on a regular basis.

23rdstMB

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Nov 14, 2002
Home
MitchellC said:
3....do sunset BBQ & fire at the beach. It truly is the classic SoCal beach experience, especially if you/kids are surfing till dark. I cannot express in words how awesome it is to come in dripping wet, have a beer and see the wife has already started the fire/dinner.
some of the best surfing memories of my young life spent doing sunrise - 10pm San O trips

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
MitchellC said:
rice said:
The first time I surfed Sano was during the heyday of 3rd point Malibu. I was living in LA and had already surfed the day before (Sat) in pumping conditions with Mayor 1 and that crew.

Sunday, the swell had already peaked and I wasn't in the mood to deal with the drive, traffic, etc. I had a neighbor who had moved from Seattle and was learning to surf. He invited me to drive down to Sano with him, and as he had a new, big SUV and would handle all the chores, it was a no brainer decision.

All I had to do was grab my board and zone. OC was still a bit mysto for me, so I figured I could experience some new territory. I had done the drive down to Lowers on a few occasions before, but had never been to Sano proper.

Of course, I hated the entire experience. I remember it was a beautiful day and there was still swell, but I thought the waves sucked (I was on my regular short-board) and the scene was a goof. In general, I had the same reaction most 20 somethings who are into performance surfing would have.

I literally didn't return for decades; that is, until I was teaching my son how to surf. Then, as most parents do, they begin to frequent Doheny & Sano. As it so happened, we hit Sano one day when there was swell - maybe around the size we had last weekend.

That's when the light bulb went on. There were guys out older than me (some, a lot older) and they were on these 8-9' Stewarts. That's when I realized the place can actually break, and with the right attitude (ie being older) and the right equipment (HP LB), one could potentially keep surfing until they dropped.

And that's when I became a fan. Even better, my wife - who isn't really a beach person - likes going down there as well. She's actually the instigator behind our Sat afternoon, Sun morning routine.

If your kid(s) decide to attend school in SoCal, I could easily see a situation where you dial in the game and start hitting it on a regular basis.
It was fun but crowded. My daughter and her friend, especially dug it. My daughter wants to go north for college but we'll see...

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My first car was our third (extra) car: an 80s westy vanagon. Slept many weekends in it at San o w friends. The rangers would call our parents when we got to the kiosk to make sure we had permission to stay. Only short board, so we'd wake up and surf church or trestles, unless trails was big enough. Hope my sons get to do the same w our new van.

jackcheez

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 9, 2015
When I was about 13 and learning to surf, we camped for a week at San Clemente State Beach. A huge swell came up and it got a little rough for me there so my dad took us to San Onofre for the day. I remember walking up to the bluff at one of the trails. Looking up and down the coast as far as I could see was nothing but waves. I thought to myself wow ! This place is heaven ! :roflmao:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
jackcheez said:
When I was about 13 and learning to surf, we camped for a week at San Clemente State Beach. A huge swell came up and it got a little rough for me there so my dad took us to San Onofre for the day. I remember walking up to the bluff at one of the trails. Looking up and down the coast as far as I could see was nothing but waves. I thought to myself wow ! This place is heaven ! :roflmao:
One summer night I was there camping when there was some kind of bio-luminescent jellyfish or plankton event going on. Every wave that would crash would light up when it moved the glowing fish around. Far out! Hits spliff and tries to forget about the fat fuck wearing a toupee Balls out at trail 6

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Waterlogged05 said:
jackcheez said:
same experience at san clememnte sb....but i jumped in, got my arse kicked, loved it, and sai d"i never want to camp anywhere else....and have been chasing horribly awesome thumping shor break there ever since. F)(## sano

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
20W-50 and blood said:
Waterlogged05 said:
jackcheez said:
same experience at san clememnte sb....but i jumped in, got my arse kicked, loved it, and sai d"i never want to camp anywhere else....and have been chasing horribly awesome thumping shor break there ever since. F)(## sano
I almost lost my life camping at San Clemente State Beach camp ground scaling the cliff from the beach below while on shrooms. Luckily someone grabbed my hand while I was slipping or else I would have gone splat on the boulders below. Good memories. Camping is fun as long as you don't kill yourself in the process. :cheers:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
keenfish said:
20W-50 and blood said:
Waterlogged05 said:
jackcheez said:
I almost lost my life camping at San Clemente State Beach camp ground scaling the cliff from the beach below while on shrooms. Luckily someone grabbed my hand while I was slipping or else I would have gone splat on the boulders below. Good memories. Camping is fun as long as you don't kill yourself in the process. :cheers:
oh lord.... i was (and probably still should be) exhibit A for the "dont be liek this moron" public service messages regarding campgrounds. however, i stilld ont understand why peopel are so afraid of a little schrapnel.