San Jose del Cabo’s in July

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Zipper's had a natural channel/riptide, you could ride every wave all the way to shore, never worried about close out. Now the channel is filled in, the ride is now, take off, pump, pump, hammmer.

The rock has a takeoff zone the size of a kitchen table. Pretty hard to get waves, plus it's a bit tide dependent. What's the story on the outer reef between Zips and the Rock getting blasted? I've caught fun ones off that thing, just don't ride too far and wind up in the urchin garden. That inside left is like a Play-doh factory machine.
The story is that the owners of the place next to Las Olas wanted to mellow out the surf/beach for their prospective buyers. So they broke down the outer reef to do so. Ended up making it more of a wave and beach is even smaller due to seawalls etc. I could be wrong but that's what I heard from good sources. If Ivan were still active here he could chime in.
1585960973173.jpeg

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
The story is that the owners of the place next to Las Olas wanted to mellow out the surf/beach for their prospective buyers. So they broke down the outer reef to do so. Ended up making it more of a wave and beach is even smaller due to seawalls etc. I could be wrong but that's what I heard from good sources. If Ivan were still active here he could chime in.
View attachment 88693
Brilliant plan, take out the only thing that stops the swells from coming all the way to shore. Last year, the beach in front of this picture was ground zero for the hippy chick Beach Blanket Bingo scene.

Reactions: grg

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Brilliant plan, take out the only thing that stops the swells from coming all the way to shore. Last year, the beach in front of this picture was ground zero for the hippy chick Beach Blanket Bingo scene.
Las Olas has been a go to for me. Used to do the Cabo Surf Hotel on the regular but now its waaaaay different. Still a great spot but was a true surf hotel back in the day

Reactions: Mr Doof

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Federales/Marina clearing out the rock lineup this afternoon. Curious if there's any enforcement up the cape. Cabo is due for an early season Chubasco swell, hopefully Covid hysteria settles down before the real swells turn up.
Screenshot_20200407-183555~2.png

Last edited:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Federales/Marina clearing out the rock lineup this afternoon. Curious if there's any enforcement up the cape. Cabo is due for an early season Chubasco swell, hopefully Covid hysteria settles before the real swells turn on.
View attachment 88939
Yes, 9 guys got arrested at 9 Palms a few days ago. The Marines came by and told them to get out of the water and they refused.

Sounds like they are going to kick campers out as well

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Just returned from a week in Cabo. It was probably the best and most consistent week of surf I've ever experienced down there. Seven days straight of solid East Cape surf in the few feet overhead range with pristine conditions all week. Even lucked into a more tucked away rippable point further North that was pulling in fun size SE tropical swell our first day there. What a blast! Wishing I could have stayed for the approaching Hurricane Cristina swell Thursday as the spot mentioned above will be pumping.Shipw.jpg

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Just returned from a week in Cabo. It was probably the best and most consistent week of surf I've ever experienced down there. Seven days straight of solid East Cape surf in the few feet overhead range with pristine conditions all week. Even lucked into a more tucked away rippable point further North that was pulling in fun size SE tropical swell our first day there. What a blast! Wishing I could have stayed for the approaching Hurricane Cristina swell Thursday as the spot mentioned above will be pumping.View attachment 94069
damnit, soo fricken jealous.